Lemieux vs Barbashev

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Here's Lemieux's season to date. #21 Barrie Colts Brendan Lemieux

I look forward to watching his marination. Is 2-3 years the typical amount of time until he's in our lineup?

According to those stats, many of his goals came on the PP. Hope that translates well when/if he finally makes it.

He looked a long ways away at camp and the tournament, and numerous folks commented as much. He doesn't produce much in juniors as it is, and I'm not sure what skillset outside of agitation is going to set him apart from a boatload of other prospects we have. He's got to be able to skate, drive possession and score at a junior level to really have a chance at even keeping up in the NHL.

I'd be very, very surprised if he's on a Sabres roster in, as you said, as little as two years.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I have to admit I was big on the Barbashev train since last years WJC. Thought he was every bit as good at forward as Zadorov was on D (and Zadorov made the all-tourney team). Made positive impact every time he was out there. And after watching every guy I was interested in get picked one after another at the end of the round (just as Rob said, Kempe, Scherbak, etc). I'm sure the guys on the draft chat can recall my stream of invective after the Lemieux pick and then watching Barbie go next (and I swear they sprinted that card up to the podium).

So, yeah. I'm always gonna keep an eye on Barbashev just like I kept an eye on Martin Havlat after the Sabres drafted Barrett Heisten.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I have to admit I was big on the Barbashev train since last years WJC. Thought he was every bit as good at forward as Zadorov was on D (and Zadorov made the all-tourney team). Made positive impact every time he was out there. And after watching every guy I was interested in get picked one after another at the end of the round (just as Rob said, Kempe, Scherbak, etc). I'm sure the guys on the draft chat can recall my stream of invective after the Lemieux pick and then watching Barbie go next (and I swear they sprinted that card up to the podium).

Barbashev didn't go with the next pick. Florida took Hawryluk after Lemieux. Barbashev went at 33.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Barbashev didn't go with the next pick. Florida took Hawryluk after Lemieux. Barbashev went at 33.
exageration makes for a more appealing case in the debate of Barbeshev vs Lemieux. If only it were true the drama would be ten fold of excitement. One drafted after each other. Stories would be written, ESPN 30 for 30 on a grand scale :laugh:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
exageration makes for a more appealing case in the debate of Barbeshev vs Lemieux. If only it were true the drama would be ten fold of excitement. One drafted after each other. Stories would be written, ESPN 30 for 30 on a grand scale :laugh:

Or he made a mistake. Like how exaggeration is spelled with two g's. See how petty that looks....

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Or he made a mistake. Like how exaggeration is spelled with two g's. See how petty that looks....
in my opinion the only thing petty is the spilt tears for not taking Barbeshev from the uproar in the draft day thread to the thread about it now. What's really petty tho is being a grammer nazi. I can only relate if it's a players name but to each their own.

#TeamLemieux

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
in my opinion the only thing petty is the spilt tears for not taking Barbeshev from the uproar in the draft day thread to the thread about it now. What's really petty tho is being a grammer nazi. I can only relate if it's a players name but to each their own.

#TeamLemieux

To be fair, it was a spelling nazi. :)

Though, not tho. :laugh:

(Runs for cover)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
To be fair, it was a spelling nazi. :)

Though, not tho. :laugh:

(Runs for cover)

Hahaha ya spelling not grammar!! Ha relax mr win I was just kidding, can't we both agree he probably didn't have a super agenda by missing by one draft spot with his tale of sadness? And I'm on team Lemieux too, I hope he becomes a great player. Tho it totes makes me feel like a lil gurl voting for my fav boy band when you make it #team Lemieux.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Okay-meme-face.jpg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hahaha ya spelling not grammar!! Ha relax mr win I was just kidding, can't we both agree he probably didn't have a super agenda by missing by one draft spot with his tale of sadness? And I'm on team Lemieux too, I hope he becomes a great player. Tho it totes makes me feel like a lil gurl voting for my fav boy band when you make it #team Lemieux.
Lol why can't men vote for their fav boy band :laugh: that Hanson mmm bop was good :sarcasm:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
All of the goals Lemieux's scored here this season are within home plate, aka the type of goals you should be expecting from him anyway. Those dirty, around- or crash-the-net goals translate at any level, as long as you're consistently going to those areas, and that couples well with Lemieux's agitator role. If you're expecting him to out-stat Barbashev, well, that would certainly be exceeding expectations.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Dammit, I can't say no to Hanson. No sarcasm needed, preteen girls are not interested in sharing music control in the car. Life was tough:shakehead
They put on quite a show, but it was annoying how they brought their ****ing toys with them.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
All of the goals Lemieux's scored here this season are within home plate, aka the type of goals you should be expecting from him anyway. Those dirty, around- or crash-the-net goals translate at any level, as long as you're consistently going to those areas, and that couples well with Lemieux's agitator role. If you're expecting him to out-stat Barbashev, well, that would certainly be exceeding expectations.

Ya I don't have anything negative to say about where he goes to score goals or his agitating role, tho I think he will not be a real tough guy at the NHL level. My concern is in every goal or game I have seen not a lot of those goals show real NHL level skills. By that I mean he doesn't show top notch hand eye at tipping the puck or elite level quick hands to beat a goalie with a quick move in tight. Basically I see a lot of goals were he is in the right place, which is great, but not many were he has to show any legitimate skill that will translate to the NHL. My biggest fear with him, is that he is basically a very physically mature big kid who scares people into giving him a lot of space in Jr, and that is not going to happen in the NHL.

Fasching is someone I would describe as being the type of scorer that people hope Lemieux would turn into at the NHL level, except Fasching displays those skills in college already. When I see his highlights I see excellent tips in traffic with a guy draped all over him. I also see quick wrister that picks corners while at full speed. And not quite at the Vanek level, but for his size I see very quick hands in traffic in front of the net. Plus he is legitimately power forward sized, unlike Lemieux who will be undersized for that role in the NHL.

Long rant, and I could be wrong about his skill set, but Lemieux's translatable offense is very worrisome.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ya I don't have anything negative to say about where he goes to score goals or his agitating role, tho I think he will not be a real tough guy at the NHL level. My concern is in every goal or game I have seen not a lot of those goals show real NHL level skills. By that I mean he doesn't show top notch hand eye at tipping the puck or elite level quick hands to beat a goalie with a quick move in tight. Basically I see a lot of goals were he is in the right place, which is great, but not many were he has to show any legitimate skill that will translate to the NHL. My biggest fear with him, is that he is basically a very physically mature big kid who scares people into giving him a lot of space in Jr, and that is not going to happen in the NHL.

Fasching is someone I would describe as being the type of scorer that people hope Lemieux would turn into at the NHL level, except Fasching displays those skills in college already. When I see his highlights I see excellent tips in traffic with a guy draped all over him. I also see quick wrister that picks corners while at full speed. And not quite at the Vanek level, but for his size I see very quick hands in traffic in front of the net. Plus he is legitimately power forward sized, unlike Lemieux who will be undersized for that role in the NHL.

Long rant, and I could be wrong about his skill set, but Lemieux's translatable offense is very worrisome .

Really? not only worrisome but VERY worrisome? ... This **** is so strange to me.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Really? not only worrisome but VERY worrisome? ... This **** is so strange to me.

Ha very was too strong for you? I say that in the context that he was the 31st overall pick. The rest of his game as a physical pest will come through I'm sure. But since he is a relatively valuable asset to the franchise, I think if his offense not translating is concerning. Less strange?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ha very was too strong for you? I say that in the context that he was the 31st overall pick. The rest of his game as a physical pest will come through I'm sure. But since he is a relatively valuable asset to the franchise, I think if his offense not translating is concerning. Less strange?

You already said you don't expect him to be a tough guy at the NHL level ... now you don't expect his offense to translate into the NHL ...

I can't believe anyone could come to these conclusions so quickly when he's still in Juniors all while most reputable scouts believes he has an elite shot and he's showing he's more than capable of going and scoring in the dirty areas... He'll be a bottom six guy most likely .. What exactly does the kid have to do to remove your doubts?

He's built like a tank ..well over 200lbs as a 18 yr old ...has the mentality of a warrior ...is willing to take on opponents much bigger than him ..and you have doubts about his toughness translating ... Again... I ask...what does he have to do to remove your doubts? ..

Only conclusion I can come up with is you being heartbroken over Barb-mania.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You already said you don't expect him to be a tough guy at the NHL level ... now you don't expect his offense to translate into the NHL ...

I can't believe anyone could come to these conclusions so quickly when he's still in Juniors all while most reputable scouts believes he has an elite shot and he's showing he's more than capable of going and scoring in the dirty areas... He'll be a bottom six guy most likely .. What exactly does the kid have to do to remove your doubts?

He's built like a tank ..well over 200lbs as a 18 yr old ...has the mentality of a warrior ...is willing to take on opponents much bigger than him ..and you have doubts about his toughness translating ... Again... I ask...what does he have to do to remove your doubts? ..

Only conclusion I can come up with is you being heartbroken over Barb-mania.

Hmm, maybe I need more context for you. When I refer to him as a tough guy, I mean as a fighter or intimidator. On our own team alone guys like Foligno and Stewart would beat him like a drum. I would say him being built like a tank is a negative for what we are talking about. The fact that he is built like that means he has a pretty significant strength and weight advantage over most of the guys he plays against. As a pest running around hitting people, sure he could probably do that in the NHL, but so can 50 street free agents.

I'm sorry but I don't take a ton of faith in the has the mentality of a warrior in jr hockey against teenagers, tho not to get side tracked, as it comes to Barb-mania, he actually plays a tenacious warrior like game as well, despite being a relatively light guy in comparison to Lemieux.

I would believe in his offense translating if I ever saw him consistently using that NHL shot to score from distance, but where he scores most of his goals his shot is pretty irrelevant. I already mentioned his in tight abilities and what seems missing. Maybe he will show that more this year. I would also be more confident in him if I saw any legitimate play making ability.

I said it before, I don't hate his game at all. I just think what he showed is more suited to a later pick, while someone like Barbashev has several skills that make me more confident that he too could play a bottom six role, but he had better chance at making it to the top six, which is why I would use a higher pick on him rather than Lemieux.

Do you have anything to say about Barbashev and his game, or do you want to just defend Murray's choice by saying Lemieux will be good let's stop talking about this other possibility?

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Lol who cares, both were passed up on in the 1st round. I trust Murray and the other GMs that were trying to trade up for Lemieux at 31, that he was the right pick and happy hes a Sabres prospect.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hmm, maybe I need more context for you. When I refer to him as a tough guy, I mean as a fighter or intimidator. On our own team alone guys like Foligno and Stewart would beat him like a drum. I would say him being built like a tank is a negative for what we are talking about. The fact that he is built like that means he has a pretty significant strength and weight advantage over most of the guys he plays against. As a pest running around hitting people, sure he could probably do that in the NHL, but so can 50 street free agents.

I'm sorry but I don't take a ton of faith in the has the mentality of a warrior in jr hockey against teenagers, tho not to get side tracked, as it comes to Barb-mania, he actually plays a tenacious warrior like game as well, despite being a relatively light guy in comparison to Lemieux.

I would believe in his offense translating if I ever saw him consistently using that NHL shot to score from distance, but where he scores most of his goals his shot is pretty irrelevant. I already mentioned his in tight abilities and what seems missing. Maybe he will show that more this year. I would also be more confident in him if I saw any legitimate play making ability.

I said it before, I don't hate his game at all. I just think what he showed is more suited to a later pick, while someone like Barbashev has several skills that make me more confident that he too could play a bottom six role, but he had better chance at making it to the top six, which is why I would use a higher pick on him rather than Lemieux.

Do you have anything to say about Barbashev and his game, or do you want to just defend Murray's choice by saying Lemieux will be good let's stop talking about this other possibility?

Foligno and Stewart would beat him like a drum? .... Foligno was like 5 lbs heavier than Lemieux when he was drafted. You don't think Brandon is going to grow by the time he is 23-26? ... Christ.

I would say him being built like a tank is a negative for what we are talking about.The fact that he is built like that means he has a pretty significant strength and weight advantage over most of the guys he plays against.

Really? Really? You're using this argument? ... Have you seen the size of the guys he steps up to in Jrs? ..

I have nothing to say about Barbashev because I think it's fine if people wanted him over Lemieux . My problem is this still being an issue this long after the draft.. it's either too early or too late depending at how you look at it.

My biggest issue is the complete bull **** being propelled towards him to justify peoples wish to take Barbs over Lemieux.

Foligno and Stewart would crush an 18 yr old? No **** bro.

His size is a disadvantage and should be held against him because he's bigger than the rest even tho the guys he goes with in fights are usually much bigger than him!? ..

Your posts are usually much more level headed than this.

You're better than this BS.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Foligno and Stewart would beat him like a drum? .... Foligno was like 5 lbs heavier than Lemieux when he was drafted. You don't think Brandon is going to grow by the time he is 23-26? ... Christ.

Really? Really? You're using this argument? ... Have you seen the size of the guys he steps up to in Jrs? ..

I have nothing to say about Barbashev because I think it's fine if people wanted him over Lemieux . My problem is this still being an issue this long after the draft.. it's either too early or too late depending at how you look at it.

My biggest issue is the complete bull **** being propelled towards him to justify peoples wish to take Barbs over Lemieux.

Foligno and Stewart would crush an 18 yr old? No **** bro.

His size is a disadvantage and should be held against him because he's bigger than the rest even tho the guys he goes with in fights are usually much bigger than him!? ..

Your posts are usually much more level headed than this.

You're better than this BS.

My point about his size was related to his play in front of the net and general ability to create space and hit, not about his fighting ability, sorry if that was confusing but I thought I made that clear when comparing him to Fasching, who I don't think fights at all, certainly not while he has been in Minnesota.

But, I don't think Lemieux is going to get 2 inches taller, no. He could put on 15 lbs, and still be significantly smaller than the real fighters in the league. I am not suggesting he fight Foligno and Stewart tomorrow. I'm suggesting that a guy who is 6"1 and lets say eventually 215 is not a heavy weight. Foligno and Stewart are 6"3 plus 230 and they are hardly the toughest guys in the league.

And no I'm not impressed by the guys he fights in jrs. are bigger than him, nor have I seen anything that indicates that he tunes those bigger guys up. Just because he is willing to go doesn't prove anything towards his ability to be a fighter in the league. He had 3 fights last year, not exactly his calling card. Btw out of the three guys he fought only Connor Crisp actually outweighed him. The other two were within a couple lbs as Lemieux, which to me is an advantage since balance and strength is so important in a hockey fight.

And this is a small part of my argument against his selection, that really is only brought up because most of the people who keep bringing up why it was the better call keep talking about how he brings a tough guy element that we don't have, except you know Foligno, Deslauriers, Kea, Compher, etc.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
what? Just because he's russian= KHL? So I guess Risto and Armia go to the FEL? Zads and Grigo to the KHL?

Huh??? How many NHL players flee to FEL? Come on, thats silly comparing the FEL to the KHL where millions in contracts are handed out just makes you look well silly....oh and that is a yes on Grigs for the KHL, he could follow in the footsteps of Kovalchuk, Radulov, Filatov, Komarov, Kotstitsyn, Burmistrov to name a few. It was one of the reasons he fell on the draft board.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 01, 2014
While attending a charity game in Chekhov, Russia, hosted by former NHL player Ilya Kovalchuk over the weekend, Kontinental Hockey League president Alexander Medvedev was asked about the possibility of Russian players leaving North America and returning home to play in the country's domestic league.

"Are you talking about (Ovechkin and Malkin) returning to the KHL? Next season there may be pleasant surprises. Let's wait," Medvedev told Russia's Sport-Express,

Of course that means listening to Russian media :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad