Lemieux vs Barbashev

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
My point about his size was related to his play in front of the net and general ability to create space and hit, not about his fighting ability, sorry if that was confusing but I thought I made that clear when comparing him to Fasching, who I don't think fights at all, certainly not while he has been in Minnesota.

But, I don't think Lemieux is going to get 2 inches taller, no. He could put on 15 lbs, and still be significantly smaller than the real fighters in the league. I am not suggesting he fight Foligno and Stewart tomorrow. I'm suggesting that a guy who is 6"1 and lets say eventually 215 is not a heavy weight. Foligno and Stewart are 6"3 plus 230 and they are hardly the toughest guys in the league.

And no I'm not impressed by the guys he fights in jrs. are bigger than him, nor have I seen anything that indicates that he tunes those bigger guys up. Just because he is willing to go doesn't prove anything towards his ability to be a fighter in the league. He had 3 fights last year, not exactly his calling card. Btw out of the three guys he fought only Connor Crisp actually outweighed him. The other two were within a couple lbs as Lemieux, which to me is an advantage since balance and strength is so important in a hockey fight.

And this is a small part of my argument against his selection, that really is only brought up because most of the people who keep bringing up why it was the better call keep talking about how he brings a tough guy element that we don't have, except you know Foligno, Deslauriers, Kea, Compher, etc.

You don't need to be huge to be effective in front of the net. He wasn't drafted to be a fighter, so worrying about whether he will be a heavyweight is rather beside the point. I think the hope with Lemieux is that he will be a Kaleta type agitator with more of a scoring touch (and hopefully without the cheapshots).

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
My point about his size was related to his play in front of the net and general ability to create space and hit, not about his fighting ability, sorry if that was confusing but I thought I made that clear when comparing him to Fasching, who I don't think fights at all, certainly not while he has been in Minnesota.

But, I don't think Lemieux is going to get 2 inches taller, no. He could put on 15 lbs, and still be significantly smaller than the real fighters in the league. I am not suggesting he fight Foligno and Stewart tomorrow. I'm suggesting that a guy who is 6"1 and lets say eventually 215 is not a heavy weight. Foligno and Stewart are 6"3 plus 230 and they are hardly the toughest guys in the league.

And no I'm not impressed by the guys he fights in jrs. are bigger than him, nor have I seen anything that indicates that he tunes those bigger guys up. Just because he is willing to go doesn't prove anything towards his ability to be a fighter in the league. He had 3 fights last year, not exactly his calling card. Btw out of the three guys he fought only Connor Crisp actually outweighed him. The other two were within a couple lbs as Lemieux, which to me is an advantage since balance and strength is so important in a hockey fight.

And this is a small part of my argument against his selection, that really is only brought up because most of the people who keep bringing up why it was the better call keep talking about how he brings a tough guy element that we don't have, except you know Foligno, Deslauriers, Kea, Compher, etc.

Okay.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Foligno and Stewart would beat him like a drum? .... Foligno was like 5 lbs heavier than Lemieux when he was drafted. You don't think Brandon is going to grow by the time he is 23-26? ... Christ.
Brendan!
(Sorry, but it's something I've had to deal with my whole life)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Jesus christ man what the hell? Sue you?

Please tell me my sarcasm detector is really injured right now..

I guess I can't be of help to you. I didn't like the response.. and had no desire to continue with the conversation so I acknowledged the response with an okay as to end the conversation.

You took umbrage. So be it.

ZeroPT*

I guess I can't be of help to you. I didn't like the response.. and had no desire to continue with the conversation so I acknowledged the response with an okay as to end the conversation.

You took umbrage. So be it.

You could just ignore it. Or say let's agree to disagree. Saying okay is just a dicky thing to do. And saying sue me afterward is being overly dramatic for no good reason.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
On to brighter news, they both have roughly a 25% chance of sticking in the NHL at all, per draft failure rates, so that's fun.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I would've preferred Barbashev, too. But Lemieux will prove to be a valuable player in big games, methinks--that is NOT me saying Barbashev won't. I think he'll quickly become a fan favorite.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm happy to have Lemieux but anyone with a fair memory knows I was probably the biggest Barbashev booster on this board. Still would easily rather have Barbashev but I'm not trying to cut Lemieux down with my last comment. I just don't think you can point out that Lemieux has 3 more goals without mentioning Barbashev has 27 assists to Lemieux's 9. When it comes to production this season Barbashev is clearly out ahead.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I'm happy to have Lemieux but anyone with a fair memory knows I was probably the biggest Barbashev booster on this board. Still would easily rather have Barbashev but I'm not trying to cut Lemieux down with my last comment. I just don't think you can point out that Lemieux has 3 more goals without mentioning Barbashev has 27 assists to Lemieux's 9. When it comes to production this season Barbashev is clearly out ahead.

The Q is a joke.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Q is a joke.

The scoring rates between the three leagues are basically the same. The NHLe projections of junior production to NHL production are basically the same for all three leagues. It's ridiculous to dismiss a player's performance just because it happens in the Q.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If Barbashev's production translates, it possible that we missed. But with Lemieux, we get something that we don't have in our organization, sans Kaleta who will be gone sooner than later I think. Will Barbashev's game turn into a quality top 6 forward, ahead of the likes of Armia, Fasching, Compher, Baptiste, etc? This was about getting a unique piece instead of more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad