Lehner first goalie off ice at Golden Knights' skate, appears to be Game 4 starter

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I was wondering if that's the move they were going to make after game 3.

Fleury is the guy to have when you need a goalie to face tons of action and maybe even steal the series - like what they were up against the AVS.

Against the Habs, Vegas just needs a big, steady goalie who won't f*** it up.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't understand it to be honest. Fleury has let in 7 goals in 3 games.

One a was a complete mental breakdown that won't happen again. And then 3 or 4 of the others were breakaways.

Lehner is a good goalie so any Montreal fans thinking he'll be a pushover are ridiculous. But if they can get to Lehner early, it'll certainly help.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
regardless, it's not the way to reward the body of work of a 3x cup champ. yes i get it; Montreal has a history of getting in his head, and no one should have the same nickname as Guy Lafleur, but it's not great optics if it backfires. And i can't imagine teammates like this move.
Thank you for your speculations, irrelevant and ridiculous points.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Could be a psychological play. Habs feel like they can take advantage and open up more giving prime chances to Vegas.
Habs won't feel that way. They're not stupid. They've played Lehner plenty of times (15 to be exact, though he only has 4 wins).

But regardless... Lehner is not much different to Fleury statistically. Fleury won some cups with 2 of the greatest players ever. Lehner still has better playoff stats. Their regular season stats are pretty similar as well.

It gets no easier for Montreal with Lehner in net.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
13349040_1328077140541337_1924241580_n.gif

t_rTFEZCK596gnXe7AzuEQtckKRFF9wSjFAlRV65kQxK57o5N0CFuBUwqzP0Cjne7moUtG_uvG0RWKDVT6vUWvxz8bDT_lqvTC-GJfGGtQ
I love Fleury and root for him all the way, but when he FLOPS, he FLOPS HARD.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Even before the egregious giveaway behind the net, Fleury has looked shakey in this series. Purely eye test, but he does NOT look calm and collected, he’s looks nervous and shaky in there. Maybe it’s playoff pressure, maybe it’s playing against the Habs… but I could see how Deboer wouldn’t have confidence in him. Looked shaky, and proved to be shaky with that giveaway.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Lehner is a better goalie than MAF, so it makes sense that way. He just hasn't played, so is he cold?

But as always, it's a smart move if it works out.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Don't agree with this, if there's ever a game where the goalie would want to respond with a big performance, it's this one for Fleury. I'd rather take my chances for that to happen, than going to a goalie who has played one game in the last month and gave up 7 goals...

Of course, it could work out, but to me this is what you do in game 5 if they lose again. At that point might as well try something new.

I'd feel different if Lehner started the playoffs, played well and then one bad game or for whatever reason they made the swap and rode Fleury for a while. Sure, make the switch then, but yeah.. feels like a panic move.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I don't get this. It makes no sense.

Why would you put out an inferior goalie down 2-1?

Even if Vegas wins game 4, are you betting on Lerner outplaying Price two out of three times?

You can't go back to Fleury now...

Lehner and Fleury alternated during the season and Lehner beat him out for the starting job a year ago. Lehner finished 3rd and 6th for the Vezina the last couple of seasons (both higher than Fleury) so it’s not like Fleury has always been better than him.

Fleury was hot at the end of the season while Lehner wasn’t, and Lehner could be rusty so those things would worry me.

Reactions: MrLouniverse

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
They can't afford to lose this game though. It's 2-1 Montreal.

Let's say Lehner does win tonight. Shutout.

What do you do in game 5. Are you going to bet Lehner outplays Price 2 out of 3 games? Or, does Fleury start in game 5 no matter what.

This is a fireable offense. There's no reason, sans injury, Fleury doesn't play tonight.

I think Lehner getting a shutout would be a dream scenario for the Knights. Lehner giving up 7 goals again is the nightmare scenario.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Don't agree with this, if there's ever a game where the goalie would want to respond with a big performance, it's this one for Fleury. I'd rather take my chances for that to happen, than going to a goalie who has played one game in the last month and gave up 7 goals...

Of course, it could work out, but to me this is what you do in game 5 if they lose again. At that point might as well try something new.

I'd feel different if Lehner started the playoffs, played well and then one bad game or for whatever reason they made the swap and rode Fleury for a while. Sure, make the switch then, but yeah.. feels like a panic move.
Yeah I agree this is something you'd do AFTER losing tonight.

What happens if Vegas wins tonight by shelling them shot wise like they did the beginning of the last game, Lehner lets in a softy or two but they still win. Do you replace him if you win but he plays average? What if we plays good but then loses the next game? When do you go back to Fleury? What if it's too late, or Fleury's then lost confidence? Seems confusing with a lot of variables, when with Vegas' roster if they stuck through with their initial game plan they theoretically should be able to take out Montreal.

This isn't just shaking things up, like you would moving a 3C to 2C. This is your starting goalie and to me it only can mean one of two things.

A) Desperation or panic
B) A complete lack of faith in Fleury

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Yeah I agree this is something you'd do AFTER losing tonight.

What happens if Vegas wins tonight by shelling them shot wise like they did the beginning of the last game, Lehner lets in a softy or two but they still win. Do you replace him if you win but he plays average? What if we plays good but then loses the next game? When do you go back to Fleury? What if it's too late, or Fleury's then lost confidence? Seems confusing with a lot of variables, when with Vegas' roster if they stuck through with their initial game plan they theoretically should be able to take out Montreal.

This isn't just shaking things up, like you would moving a 3C to 2C. This is your starting goalie and to me it only can mean one of two things.

A) Desperation or panic
B) A complete lack of faith in Fleury

If he plays average and the team wins of course you go back to a rested, motivated Fleury for game 5. Fleury lost his job to Lehner last year and came back with a strong season. He has tons of experience and has overcome bigger mistakes in his career. I think the competition has gotten Fleury to possibly even play better instead of reducing his confidence. We all saw how upset he was being benched last year.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Reeks of desperation, even without any changes they were still favorites to win but now they're willfully jeopardizing that. Makes no sense.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Ok. This is dependant on the Knights genuinely playing Lehner, and this isn't just mind games

If it's genuine, man did the Knights as a team just don't have confidence in Fleury. It's just sad that you can see that much daylight between a team and their goalie.

A reaction of "goddammit our goalie cost us the game" is just the start of a spiralling circle of resentment and goatscaping.

Edit: scapegoating. Sorry, me English no so good

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad