Lehner first goalie off ice at Golden Knights' skate, appears to be Game 4 starter

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Lehner is a very decent goalie, but that's a risky move. Not much Fleury could do against the first and third goal. He's also one of the main reasons Vegas is there in the first place.

High risk high reward I guess.

I call it bluff!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs fan - I love this move if true.

I think Lehner is a great goalie - but all this does is create uncertainty/doubt, in Vegas player's own heads.
Last time they brought Lehner in cold, Colorado destroyed them 7-1.

What if Lehner plays bad, and/or they lose? Do they go back to Fleury next game on the brink of elmination, whose confidence is now shot? Or stick with Lehner after a bad game/loss?

Lose/lose for Vegas - unless they really lost complete confidence in Fleury.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This makes absolutely positively no sense whatsoever.

Unless Pete is playing games with Montreal.

I don't think Montreal really cares to be honest. Why should they? They play their game, and that's that. If Lehner comes in - maybe it means he's rusty and lets in a few soft ones, or maybe he has a strong game, but it won't affect how they play.

He's playing mind games with his own players and goalies if anything.

Reactions: robertocarlos

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Habs fan - I love this move if true.

I think Lehner is a great goalie - but all this does is create uncertainty/doubt, in Vegas player's own heads.
Last time they brought Lehner in cold, Colorado destroyed them 7-1.

What if Lehner plays bad, and/or they lose? Do they go back to Fleury next game on the brink of elmination, whose confidence is now shot? Or stick with Lehner after a bad game/loss?

Lose/lose for Vegas - unless they really lost complete confidence in Fleury.

I think this move actually does the opposite for the Vegas skaters. I think they'll come out wanting to put a better effort in front of Lehner than that Colorado game where they hung him out to dry.

If Lehner plays well and wins G4 he'll keep the net in G5. He loses G4 and it's back to a hopefully refreshed and refocused Fleury.

Reactions: Slimmy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think this move actually does the opposite for the Vegas skaters. I think they'll come out wanting to put a better effort in front of Lehner than that Colorado game where they hung him out to dry.

If Lehner plays well and wins G4 he'll keep the net in G5. He loses G4 and it's back to a hopefully refreshed and refocused Fleury.

Fleury is a great goalie. Is Lehner any better? I think Lehner is real good too, but he's certainly not an upgrade on Fleury, at most they're comparable.

But Lehner was read bad last game. Why risk bringing him in cold again? There's such a huge world of difference for Vegas going back home with the series tied 2-2 than there is with the series down 1-3, this isn't a game they can afford to lose.

I'm sure Vegas skaters will want to put a strong effort for Lehner if he plays - but wouldn't they want to do the exact same and more for Fleury (who got them this far) to help him bounce back from his error last game? I don't really see any advantage there - only potential for disadvantage.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
Fleury is the clear front runner for the Conn Smythe if Vegas win, however, if Lehner picks up the W tonight and gets a couple more starts I'd imagine that changes. Who would be next in line for Vegas?

Stone, Pacioretty, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Karlsson?

I'd probably lean Stone but 8 pts in 16 playoff games as a top line winger is pretty underwhelming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad