Value of: Lehkonen Auction

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why do you always have to make conversation about Avs players? I only saw Byron being discussed. No need to mention Compher/Donskoi/Cole.

But since you brought them up, Compher and Donskoi are both a lot younger than Byron and not injury prone, so it would probably cost a little bit less to move either of them than it would to move Byron.

Cole on the other hand, yeah he'd be tough to move, but not impossible given that his salary is only $3m. If Avs retained like $1.25m an acquiring team could get Cole at a $1.75m salary with $3m caphit, which while still significant in this market, might appeal to some team like Ottawa looking to reach the floor and possibly adding a veteran (and you know, Cole is a legend in Ottawa for his impact with that franchise in his last stint with the team ;) ).

All players mentioned above require significant sweeteners to move. JTC and Donskoi are as immoveable as Byron. Teams have zero interest in general. Cole is like Russell - immoveable as well.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
just like the cost to dump overpaid scrubs like Compher, Donskoi and Cole would be prohibitive for the Avs...
Donskoi and Cole are trash. Compher is not. But at 3.5 mil he would be very difficult to move too. He is more valuable than Lehkonen but Lekhonens contract should be easier to move.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Donskoi and Cole are trash. Compher is not. But at 3.5 mil he would be very difficult to move too. He is more valuable than Lehkonen but Lekhonens contract should be easier to move.
JTC is trash as well. Terrible option for C, can’t kill penalties, soft and doesn’t add much offense. Avs would love to dump him

Lehkonen >> JTC because of contract and his analytics.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
JTC is trash as well. Terrible option for C, can’t kill penalties, soft and doesn’t add much offense. Avs would love to dump him

To hell with analytics. Lehkonen is good defensively. It should not be hard to find a player who can dowhat he does. Poehling should be able to. Lehkonen is completely worthless offensively. Panics and chokes whenever he gets a scoring chance.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Habs have no reason to downgrade their roster with any of the Aves players. Big time losers. Aves have blown it in the second round twice in a row now. Habs don't need garbage like that. Especially not the castoffs of the garbage like Donskoi.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To hell with analytics. Lehkonen is good defensively. It should not be hard to find a player who can dowhat he does. Poehling should be able to. Lehkonen is completely worthless offensively. Panics and chokes whenever he gets a scoring chance.
Lehkonen is frustrating to watch - agree - as he generates offense but has difficulty cashing in. But at 2.4M his puck possession and defensive play is worth his contract.

If he cashed in on a normal percentage of his chances, we wouldn’t be able to afford him.

Regardless, its a luxury to have him on our 4th line.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I don't like Compher on the PK, but he's far from trash. He's been ~0.5ppg player (or a touch below) since the 2018/19 playoffs (spanning 3 playoffs and 2 regular seasons) which is absolutely fine offensive production from a 3rd liner paid $3.5m.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Oulette and Weal in ahl. Evans on roster. 1.2M under cap. 21 man roster.

or trade Kulak.
I've seen this from multiple fans, from multiple teams - calculating team cap with a 21 man roster. I know it is accepted by the NHL but given the season is going to be compressed with more back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights I wonder if this is a realistic option. I think this season will require teams to use their full 23 player roster in order to still have players standing by the time the playoffs roll around.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I've seen this from multiple fans, from multiple teams - calculating team cap with a 21 man roster. I know it is accepted by the NHL but given the season is going to be compressed with more back to backs and 3 games in 4 nights I wonder if this is a realistic option. I think this season will require teams to use their full 23 player roster in order to still have players standing by the time the playoffs roll around.
Teams that have their AHL team nearby often go with a 21 or 22 player roster for home-stands to maximise cap accrual. The Maple Leafs for example do this, as do Colorado who have the Colorado Eagles AHL team just 30 mins away.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Mete can play F and D. Laval is a burb of Montreal. They can easily make it work. 1.2M capspace is sufficient for callups.

Some teams are icing 20 players.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't like Compher on the PK, but he's far from trash. He's been ~0.5ppg player (or a touch below) since the 2018/19 playoffs (spanning 3 playoffs and 2 regular seasons) which is absolutely fine offensive production from a 3rd liner paid $3.5m.
His regular season points are well below 0.5ppg. He is overpaid for what he brings. He is essentially Byron without the pk ability.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
His regular season points are well below 0.5ppg. He is overpaid for what he brings. He is essentially Byron without the pk ability.
You are factually wrong on that. Allow me to show you why.

upload_2020-10-14_22-5-22.png

upload_2020-10-14_22-5-46.png

I said "He's been ~0.5ppg player (or a touch below) since the 2018/19 playoffs (spanning 3 playoffs and 2 regular seasons)". Actually that should say 2017/18 playoffs rather than 2018/19.

So let's add it up, starting from the 2017/18 playoffs:
  • 63 points in 133 regular season games = 0.474 ppg, or 38.8 point pace.
  • 17 points in 33 playoff games ..............= 0.515 ppg, or 42.2 point pace.
Combined:
  • 80 points in 166 games = 0.48 ppg, or 39.5 point pace.
So just as I said, he's roughly a 0.5ppg player (or just below) - and very consistently so I might add. You'll also notice that his production goes up a tick in the playoffs to above 0.5ppg pace which is when it really matters.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Who do you have pencil’d in on your 4th line besides Jost?
It will be Calvert, Bellemare, and then one of Jost, Kaut, or O'Connor.

Kaut did very well in his 9 game call up last season and would certainly be deserving of a spot on the roster.

O'Connor did exceptionally well in the Dallas series and also has a strong case for making the roster. He signed a 2 year deal last month which is a two-way deal in year 1, and a one-way in year 2, which shows the faith Sakic has in him to make the roster full time soon.

Adding another 4th line/depth forward would be a bit of a luxury, but I think it would make sense if there's enough capspace to do so given that the season will likely be compressed with a lot of back-to-back games. Maybe that's an addition that Sakic makes at the deadline though so as to give the kids a chance to get ice-time in the regular season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You are factually wrong on that. Allow me to show you why.

View attachment 372790

View attachment 372791

I said "He's been ~0.5ppg player (or a touch below) since the 2018/19 playoffs (spanning 3 playoffs and 2 regular seasons)". Actually that should say 2017/18 playoffs rather than 2018/19.

So let's add it up, starting from the 2017/18 playoffs:
  • 63 points in 133 regular season games = 0.474 ppg, or 38.8 point pace.
  • 17 points in 33 playoff games ..............= 0.515 ppg, or 42.2 point pace.
Combined:
  • 80 points in 166 games = 0.48 ppg, or 39.5 point pace.
So just as I said, he's roughly a 0.5ppg player (or just below) - and very consistently so I might add. You'll also notice that his production goes up a tick in the playoffs to above 0.5ppg pace which is when it really matters.

Factually Compher is under 0.5PPG.

In the last 3 seasons, Compher's PPG average in the regular season has been 0.43 while Byron's is 0.46. They are very similar point producers. Byron is a much better PK'er and defensive player. Ergo, they have similar contracts that are negative value. Both need a significant sweetener to move.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
LOL, um ok. You have set the bar really low on "amazing".

Heart and soul players that fans hate to lose. Would love to keep him for as long as he can continue to play that tenacious speedy game. Sucks the Habs will be losing someone like that in Gallagher soon with all these poor moves.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Heart and soul players that fans hate to lose. Would love to keep him for as long as he can continue to play that tenacious speedy game. Sucks the Habs will be losing someone like that in Gallagher soon with all these poor moves.

Why would the Habs lose Gallagher? Habs are in a great spot. They have Gallagher for a full season at 3.75M. That's a money contract. Happy to have him! :)

2.85M on the 4th line in Calvert. Much like Lehkonen on the 4th line. Habs will have one of the best 4th lines in the league because of their depth.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Factually Compher is under 0.5PPG.

In the last 3 seasons, Compher's PPG average in the regular season has been 0.43 while Byron's is 0.46. They are very similar point producers. Byron is a much better PK'er and defensive player. Ergo, they have similar contracts that are negative value. Both need a significant sweetener to move.
You're moving the goalposts. Earlier you said "His regular season points are well below 0.5ppg." After I showed you stats to show you that he's quite clearly not "well below" 0.5ppg, and actually even above 0.5ppg in the playoffs, you try to get petty over 0.02 ppg.

You also randomly changed the argument to include 3 seasons to try to spin the argument that his point output is lower than Byron, but you know full well that Compher was a 22 year old rookie and far from a finished product 3 years ago, and that his 23 point season is obviously an outlier when compared to the very consistent ~0.5ppg since 2018.

In any case, Compher is now 25 and Byron is 31. Who do you think is more likely to continue to score at a ~0.5ppg pace in the next 3 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad