Value of: Lehkonen Auction

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I think you have him confused with weal maybe
i haven't confused him with anybody.

look at the players tampa tries to move. ntc obviously complicate things for killorn and palat. johnson and gourde have those ugly terms. all four are better than lekhonen.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
there is no market for lekhonen. teams with cap space get better players for nothing. teams without cap space won't make room for him.
Young 30 pt above average defensive winger making $2.4MM who’s an RFA at year end will have a market - might only be a 3rd-4th rounder but he’d be a great fit for a team like Sens/Wings that are rebuilding. He’s snake bitten on the offensive side and might be more there if he can put it together but he plays a complete 200 ft game the coaches love.

Reactions: NewDef

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I love how Habs fans seem to think that their entire offense should consist of top 6 forwards. Lehkonen is good value bottom line player. Why would he be traded?
He won’t be traded. Habs will likely carry a 22 man roster with a small amount of capspace into the season. Bergevin said he wanted 1.5M in capspace but didn’t clarify if that was based in a 20 man or 21 to 23 man roster. Hence Hans fans trying to clear capspace to attain 1.5M.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
When habs call up Evans they are 400k over the cap. If habs can't get value out of a Byron or lehkonen then I'm guessing they trade Weal and a 4ht or 5th To some team for future considerations and sign some random UFA to be the 13th forward for league minimum and move on.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He won’t be traded. Habs will likely carry a 22 man roster with a small amount of capspace into the season. Bergevin said he wanted 1.5M in capspace but didn’t clarify if that was based in a 20 man or 21 to 23 man roster. Hence Hans fans trying to clear capspace to attain 1.5M.
Forget 20 or 21 man roster. Won’t happen. Maybe for couple games but those will be exception.

right now we have 0,4M$ in cap space with 21 man roster. You send Weal ton AHL. So about 1,5M$ in cap space for 20 man roster. Won’t work.

One player needs to be traded. I think Kulak is the most likely to go. You replace him with Juulsen or Fleury and you have 1,5 M$ in cap space for 21 man roster. That could be working but it is still limit. I have a hard time Mb managing with so few cap space.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
When habs call up Evans they are 400k over the cap. If habs can't get value out of a Byron or lehkonen then I'm guessing they trade Weal and a 4ht or 5th To some team for future considerations and sign some random UFA to be the 13th forward for league minimum and move on.

This would be my preference. While slightly overpaid in this new economic reality, both Byron and Lehkonen and good depth players that can play up and down the lineup and kill penalties.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This would be my preference. While slightly overpaid in this new economic reality, both Byron and Lehkonen and good depth players that can play up and down the lineup and kill penalties.

I'd rather have the space but if Byron costs a lot to dump and lehkonen doesn't have a lot of value then I think this is what the Habs will do. Or Kulak gets moved and Juulsen and Mete are our 6&7. Giving us 1.1 million in cap.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would your team have room for Lehkonen?

LH, LW/RW, 25, $2.4M 1yr-RFA, good skater, good PKer, middle-6 calibre winger

Best offer wins!

Rules:
- no more than $1.0M back. preferably no $$, picks and/or prospects
- include no other Habs roster players

I'll simply ignore fellow Habs fans who come here to say they want to keep Lehkonen and would rather trade someone else.
Why do you want to trade him? We are under the cap

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Forget 20 or 21 man roster. Won’t happen. Maybe for couple games but those will be exception.

right now we have 0,4M$ in cap space with 21 man roster. You send Weal ton AHL. So about 1,5M$ in cap space for 20 man roster. Won’t work.

One player needs to be traded. I think Kulak is the most likely to go. You replace him with Juulsen or Fleury and you have 1,5 M$ in cap space for 21 man roster. That could be working but it is still limit. I have a hard time Mb managing with so few cap space.
Capspace can be preserved by sending players who are waiver exempt to the ahl when they are not required. With Laval next door we have that advantage.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Habs are effectively done for the offseason. Here are your 2020/2021 Habs!

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-Kk-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans/Poehling-Byron

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundston-Petry
Kulak-Romanov
Mete

Price
Allen

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Habs are effectively done for the offseason. Here are your 2020/2021 Habs!

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Toffoli-Kk-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans/Poehling-Byron

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundston-Petry
Kulak-Romanov
Mete

Price
Allen

Looks much improved, especially the top 9.

If I'm critical I do wonder though if MB hasn't gone too much 'size queen' on the roster though.

Toffoli isn't a spring chicken and was never that fast to begin with, though he scores most of his goals close to the net so he should be fine.

LHD still looks suspect; adding a top pair LHD to push everyone else down a notch would make it a much better group. It's not too dissimilar to the Avs situation at LHD before we acquired Toews to bump Graves down a pairing.

Anderson is a huge question mark, and it was a big risk by MB to pay what he did for him, both via trade and with that contract. If Anderson isn't a hit things could sour very quickly in Montreal for him, as that contract has the potential to be a massive anchor if he doesn't get back to being healthy and being a 25+ goal scorer.

I think Price should benefit a lot from having a good backup, even if the overall expenditure on goalies is by far the highest in the league.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

If I'm critical I do wonder though if MB hasn't gone too much 'size queen' on the roster though.

Toffoli isn't a spring chicken and was never that fast to begin with, though he scores most of his goals close to the net so he should be fine.

LHD still looks suspect; adding a top pair LHD to push everyone else down a notch would make it a much better group. It's not too dissimilar to the Avs situation at LHD before we acquired Toews to bump Graves down a pairing.

Anderson is a huge question mark, and it was a big risk by MB to pay what he did for him, both via trade and with that contract. If Anderson isn't a hit things could sour very quickly in Montreal for him, as that contract has the potential to be a massive anchor if he doesn't get back to being healthy and being a 25+ goal scorer.

I think Price should benefit a lot from having a good backup, even if the overall expenditure on goalies is by far the highest in the league.

The Habs season will be determined by the continued development of KK and Suzuki. If the continue their upward trajectory, the Habs will be a real competitive team.

What is a given is that Danault will not be dealt. Sorry to kill the dream Richard! Jost/Compher will be a reality at 3C. ;)

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Habs season will be determined by the continued development of KK and Suzuki. If the continue their upward trajectory, the Habs will be a real competitive team.

What is a given is that Danault will not be dealt. Sorry to kill the dream Richard! Jost/Compher will be a reality at 3C. ;)

Look where Danault was at the same age Jost is now (22)... :thumbu:

It's not unfathomable that Jost could take a step forward.

upload_2020-10-16_1-4-51.png

upload_2020-10-16_1-6-18.png

I have no problem going into the season with Compher/Jost as 3C given that our other additions this week have been so solid. Given them an opportunity at 3C, and if they don't take it then we can always revisit this at the deadline.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Look where Danault was at the same age Jost is now (22)... It's not unfathomable that Jost could take a step forward.

View attachment 372946

View attachment 372947

I have no problem going into the season with Compher/Jost as 3C given that our other additions this week have been so solid. Given them an opportunity at 3C, and if they don't take it then we can always revisit this at the deadline.

LOL, good luck with that! One would have thought he would be signed quickly given that he doesn’t deserve a penny more than his QO. What gives? Jost must realize that he was a poor 4th liner last season.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
LOL, good luck with that! One would have thought he would be signed quickly given that he doesn’t deserve a penny more than his QO. What gives? Jost must realize that he was a poor 4th liner last season.
Lol, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that comparison. But you never know though; lot's of players (including Danault) only take a big step forward after 22-23 years old.

Jost's comparables are probably guys lik Bennett ($1.95m x 2, and $2.55m x 2) and Lawson Crouse ($$1.55m x 3). Evolving Hockey puts him at $2.1m AAV, and in a normal year he'd probably get that, or just under $2m. But the way the market is right now - with players like Nieto signing $700k 1 year deals just to stay in the league, Jost doesn't really have much leverage, particularly considering that he doesn't have arbitration rights.

It's pretty clear that the options on the table for Jost are to either sign his QO ($875k x 1 year); sign a 2 year deal at slightly higher (eg. $1.25m x 2); or failing that, to get traded.

Given that Lias Anderson brought back a 2nd round pick I would hazard a guess that Jost would bring back at least the same, in which case we could replace some of the draft capital we lost when trading 2 2nd's for Toews. That would free up a roster spot and ~$1m to go out and take advantage of the cheap UFA market.

The thing is, though fans get frustrated with Jost, based on the noise from pundits like Friedman, Lebrun, etc, there are still some GM's around the league who value him quite a bit. This flat cap only increases the value of cheap young players like him too, and despite his limitations offensively he's still very good defensively and at drawing penalties, and still has potential to improve.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i haven't confused him with anybody.

look at the players tampa tries to move. ntc obviously complicate things for killorn and palat. johnson and gourde have those ugly terms. all four are better than lekhonen.
And all four are making twice as much money

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

To much size queen ?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
To much size queen ?
My point was that in a league trending towards speed and skill Bergevin went the opposite direction.
  • Edmundson 6'4'' 215lbs
  • Anderson 6'3'' 222lbs
  • Toffoli 6'0'' 197lbs (not that tall but not exactly known for being fast)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not the time to trade him. His 2.4m is usually a very fair and easy contract to fit, but right now teams will be wary. Besides, he is a useful player. Good defensively and can chip in offensively from the bottom 6. Unless he is at risk of being scratched, I would just keep him. If the fit really isnt there, I'm sure he could be swapped mid-season for someone who isn't fitting in with their team.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
My point was that in a league trending towards speed and skill Bergevin went the opposite direction.
  • Edmundson 6'4'' 215lbs
  • Anderson 6'3'' 222lbs
  • Toffoli 6'0'' 197lbs (not that tall but not exactly known for being fast)
I would have thought any one who watched this years playoffs would have given up on the small size and skill players . Dallas literally pounded their way to the finals . Colorado won’t be going smaller any time soon . When the ref puts the whistle away in the playoffs it’s not ideal for little guys . Tampa was greatly helped by bringing in size and grit. The islanders went deep because they finish every check .
The Habs still have five guys (Gallagher , weal , Byron , mete and Lehkonen) who are on average less than 5’10 and 176 pds. That’s a quarter of the roster . I’ll be happy when we replace at least two more in that group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->