LeBrun: LeBrun sees Vegas, Toronto and Calgary as best landing spots for Pietrangelo

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For anyone who thinks they aren't leaving St. Louis because they don't want to uproot the family, if that was their 100% mindset, he would have already signed the extension.

Money and bonus paid is obviously a factor here.

Reactions: Rob Brown

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
For anyone who thinks they aren't leaving St. Louis because they don't want to uproot the family, if that was their 100% mindset, he would have already signed the extension.

I think it's about family, and AP has two homes, and they have two sets of parents, one in TOR and one in STL. It helps that both these teams have give him multiple shots at a cup too.

If AP get a better offer from Toronto, he will go. I can't see both of these two teams not give him what he wants. If that is the case then he will look at other offers.

This is what I would do with 4 kids ages 2 and under. I wouldnt want my kids away from both grand parents at this young age.

Right now it's 60% STL and 40% TOR IMHO.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But no trade protection. So should we risk being moved to _____. (Worst case) Or get full signing bonus, trade protection, feel wanted instead of slighted.....and play in TO

Especially when your options are to move now with newborns who won't remember it, or get moved somewhere you don't choose in 5 years when those triplets all have school friends and ties to the community.

Reactions: TML Dynasty
Oct 18, 2011
I think it's about family, and AP has two homes, and they have two sets of parents, one in TOR and one in STL. It helps that both these teams have give him multiple shots at a cup too.

If AP get a better offer from Toronto, he will go. I can't see both of these two teams not give him what he wants. If that is the case then he will look at other offers.

This is what I would do with 4 kids ages 2 and under. I wouldnt want my kids away from both grand parents at this young age.

Right now it's 60% STL and 40% TOR IMHO.
What evidence is there that Toronto gives him a shot at the cup?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I say this as a huge fan of Morgan Rielly, there's a very very small chance he ends up better than Pietrangelo over the next 2 years. Pietrangelo is easily a top 5-10 d-man. Rielly is not that.

Let's not forget that it was 1 year ago (or more accurately, 15 months ago) that Morgan Rielly as a 25 year old, ranked 5th in Norris voting, with almost the exact same number of vote-points as Alex Pietrangelo had this year.

Of the 171 people who cast votes for the Norris, Rielly was voted top 5 by 141 of them. AP didn't appear on a single ballot.

Of course, he was not up to that standard this year -- but it was really all centered around one injury (broken foot) that tends to heal without issue.

Don't forget, Morgan Rielly had Ron Hainey as a partner the year he was close to a Norris. AP has Colton Parayko, and an extremely solid defensive team around him.

Or Rielly Pietrangelo
Or Muzzin Pietrangelo

AP would be feeding the puck to Matthews or Marner or his buddy JT or Nylander.

Good times.

Therein lies the really exciting part... I will dare to compare them to an Anahiem trio from back in the day.

Even when you add Holl into the mix there... you've also got 3/4 guys 6'3 and bigger. Muzzin & Holl were a really solid shutdown pairing when Rielly was out. Imagine how much easier their job will be if they are the 2nd pair behind likely the league's best top pair.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Rielly broke his foot and played a big chunk of games with said broken foot before being shut down. He's 26 years year old.

There's a very good chance that Rielly is a better defenceman than Alex Pietrangelo over the next 2 seasons, at which point that 28 year old Morgan Rielly is going to say -- look at what AP got 2 years ago when he was 2 years older than I am today, I'm worth way more than that.

At which point Kyle asks Morgan to show him his Stanley Cup ring.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Rielly broke his foot and played a big chunk of games with said broken foot before being shut down. He's 26 years year old.

There's a very good chance that Rielly is a better defenceman than Alex Pietrangelo over the next 2 seasons, at which point that 28 year old Morgan Rielly is going to say -- look at what AP got 2 years ago when he was 2 years older than I am today, I'm worth way more than that.

Love Rielly, and when healthy he’s a top 15 D imo. But Petro is a level of competence that we haven’t had in decades.

IF he isn’t Stamkos’ing us - which he may be, and IF we are lucky enough to sign him. I would wager he’s a quality D late into his 30’s, and on a level Mo never reaches.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
But no trade protection. So should we risk being moved to _____. (Worst case) Or get full signing bonus, trade protection, feel wanted instead of slighted.....and play in TO

I think this is the much more important part for AP.

He has deep roots in both St. Louis and Toronto... in ideal world, he probably doesn't want to raise his kids in a city that isn't one of those.

However, what he REALLY doesn't want to do is sign a 7 or 8 year deal, and then find out that he either has to leave his family, or move his 3 seven year olds and 5 year old.

IMO, this is going to come down to which GM is willing to say "to hell with flexibility in 5 years". I think St. Louis will give him a 5-year NTC like they did with Brayden Schenn and Justin Faulk. I'm sure they will give him expansion draft protection in year 1... will they go full NMC? I don't believe so.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Love Rielly, and when healthy he’s a top 15 D imo. But Petro is a level of competence that we haven’t had in decades.

IF he isn’t Stamkos’ing us - which he may be, and IF we are lucky enough to sign him. I would wager he’s a quality D late into his 30’s, and on a level Mo never reaches.

I'll be honest, I disagree.

I think recency bias plays too big of a role in the comparison, combined with the fact that AP should right now be at the tail end of his prime, Rielly should be just beginning it.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
No full NMC* which no one on our team has. He’s been offered a full ntc more than likely. Other teams have to offer over $9.14 a year for 7 years just to match the stl dollar numbers.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010

I don't agree with the "he would have signed already part." This is a negotiation and even if he's intent on signing with the Blues, he would be stupid to not try to put pressure on them by going to the market.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It’s been reported the blues have offered 8 years at 8 mil. So it’s “honey should we uproot our family for an extra couple million”

not really.

1.) as already said IF it was toronto (no gaurantee that it is) he already has a house here (confirmed by pang) and he is already entrenched enough that he would be enduring quarantine etc to come to toronto to spend time with a pregnant wife in pandemic

2.) the most important part is bonuses. The season could be cancelled/partial and he loses Millions for years

compared to SB which are gauranteed.

personally as a TO fan I am pretty ambivalent. I think better deals could be had. But if Vegas/Toronto are guaranteeing money. Then it’s not a few million extra. It’s a gaurantee vs a ?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Having money can make the transition easier, doesn't mean that you'd potentially want to do that. Consider how annoying it is to move houses within a city let alone across countries. More money doesn't completely get rid of how annoying it is to do. Moving 4 kids with a team of nannies and someone doing everything for you is still is a bigger pain than straight up not moving at all. An extra 10 mil over 7-8 years is a lot to us, but probably not as big of a deal for someone like AP who is basically very comfortable already and wouldn't be able to spend the extra easily without being ridiculously frivolous.

You would turn down 10 million dollars for the inconvience of moving some todlers? Are you actually saying this haha

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
You would turn down 10 million dollars for the inconvience of moving some todlers? Are you actually saying this haha

But he wouldn't be. You know he will be paid by St Louis if he stays right? You need to ask would I turn down 10 million to make 9 million and stay where I am st

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

It's not 10 mil or zero. It's 60 vs 70 Mil in salary over 7 or 8 years. Not to mention, the bonus structure can make that 10 mill salary cap bigger or smaller.

You can make $100K a year at a job you love as a VP and you love the team or $120K at another place as a contractor to do a death march. No one in their right mind frames it by saying you're throwing away $140-160K over 7-8 years especially if you don't need the money. But that’s how many are doing it now.

But I also have an issue with the 10 mill number I used. I don't know where I got it. If STL offers 8x8, that's 64 Mil. To have 10 Mil more you have to do 10.5 x 7 = 73.5 because that’s the max any other team can offer in term. What lunatic team would do this? You can basically match doing 7x9 = 63 which other teams might do, but cap hit seems irrelevant as hell. It’s the payment structure that’s important because it affects the time value of money.

payment structure is apparently where the real impasse is and I’m pretty damn sure AP hasn’t had someone run TVM tables on the different contracts to see the end result at contract . Wanting half or more of the contract paid out by year 3 VS at the halfway mark of year 4 doesn’t sound like something that a hockey mind fixates on. Sure it’s basically being paid like 25% faster which isn’t negligible. But to threaten to go UFA over that difference sounds more personal than financial IMO. Someone else must be whispering in his ear and calling it a lack of respect or something. This might also be why the word “buyout proof” was specifically used.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
No thanks from Calgary. I would rather have the cap.
This is one thing I never understand, If you can fit him under the cap somehow, especially a player as good as this one, why would you rather have cap space than add an elite player to a team that already has a bunch of really good players?

The point of playing is to win the cup. you win the cup by having a bunch of really good players, if you can fit the most good players under the cap as possible it gives you a better chance to win.

A lot of fans would rather have cap space every year than good players it seems.. I realize you may have to pay some younger players eventually, but there will be cases where they fizzle out and don't earn that big raise, and then you passed on that really good player two years ago for no reason.

Reactions: Metroid and bukwas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad