LeBrun: LeBrun sees Vegas, Toronto and Calgary as best landing spots for Pietrangelo

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Pietrangelo is 31 in January. I'm going to be real disappointed if the Leafs sign him, since it's going to be for max term and huge money.

Edit: Also, I've been hearing lately he isn't stellar defensively. Is this true?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If AP leaves the Blues he is getting 70 million. (I think he stays in St. Louis for 60 though.)

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Pietrangelo is 31 in January. I'm going to be real disappointed if the Leafs sign him, since it's going to be for max term and huge money.

Edit: Also, I've been hearing lately he isn't stellar defensively. Is this true?
Yeah man, he sucks. Hopefully all these other teams see that and don’t sign him :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vollie27

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

He is a top 5 Defenseman in the NHL so no it is not. He also plays the kind of game where he should be effective until his mid thirties. If you can sign him and move a big contract to make it work, you do it every time.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Leafs won't care about the front loaded contract obviously, if they give a NMC he's in Toronto imo unless Armstrong caves on the NMC.

Signing for 8 years with a team who's free to dump you without your consent to anywhere in NA doesn't seem like a smart thing to accept right now if you're a superstar and can make demands.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I saw this interesting post last night on the Blues subreddit. This is purely speculation so take it with a grain of salt, Some of the details are certainly believable but still interesting though. If this is somehow accurate the Blues never had any intent to re-sign Pietrangelo.

quote1.jpg

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Yeah man, he sucks. Hopefully all these other teams see that and don’t sign him :sarcasm:

I’m not trying to be antagonistic - the Leafs and Blues are in completely different situations. If Pietro signs for big money but doesn’t perform up to his contract in a few years, that hurts the Leafs significantly more than it would the Blues.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I saw this interesting post last night on the Blues subreddit. This is purely speculation so take it with a grain of salt, Some of the details are certainly believable but still interesting though. If this is somehow accurate the Blues never had any intent to re-sign Pietrangelo.

View attachment 369030
Which, if true, is a god damn shame. Legit the first elite homegrown D-man we’ve had stay with us during most of his prime since...ever? And this is how we thank him? Again, if true.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

View attachment 369030

This is the same thing people have been speculating without proof for a long time. It's been repeated here and elsewhere for several months, basically that if they really intended to re-sign him, they would have spoken with his agent sooner, they wouldn't have acquired or signed Faulk, etc.

The only apparently new information is that Pietrangelo's brother-in-law knew for a fact he would have accepted an 8x8 deal a year ago, which is extremely convenient news given that's exactly the deal the Blues have already offered him according to reputable sources.

Also, given how Newport plays hardball and how they've been publicly spinning things, why wouldn't they lead with that? Why would Pietrangelo openly say he's disappointed about not having a deal done and not also clearly say, "Armstrong refused to negotiate a contract after we won the Cup"? If you're disappointed and you're set to test free agency, that seems like a really good way to express your specific frustrations and get the fans on your side. Unless he's likely to return to the Blues anyway and doesn't want to burn bridges, yet.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I certainly trust what Freidman says but it's such an odd situation because of the 3 teams mentioned Vegas has the least amount of cap space and that's before they sign Lehner, assuming they do that, they would be over the cap.

So who goes?

I read somewhere Lebrun suggested they trade Schmidt to Toronto lol.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

The Tavares signing and Matthews shorter term contract = a much shorter time table. Leafs are in a win now mode.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Which, if true, is a god damn shame. Legit the first elite homegrown D-man we’ve had stay with us during most of his prime since...ever? And this is how we thank him? Again, if true.
Yes it's a damn shame. Captain wins a cup and kicked to the curb the year after. That's what it's looking like, If this is true.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

View attachment 369030

Take away the BIL and it is pretty much what has been reported at a high level over the last couple of weeks. The lower level details make it interesting and makes me wonder what the hell is Army thinking ??

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The Tavares signing and Matthews shorter term contract = a much shorter time table. Leafs are in a win now mode.

That's assuming you believe that Matthews is just going to up and leave at age 26. JT was the first major guy to do that, and he was a bit older. Would be funny if Matthews ended up being the second but I still have my doubts. Matthews will get an 8 year deal at insane money and he'll be a Leaf until he goes home for a lap with Arizona in his mid-late 30s (assuming they have a team / the world hasn't blown up).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad