LeBrun: LeBrun sees Vegas, Toronto and Calgary as best landing spots for Pietrangelo

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
If hub cities are the status quo for the next couple seasons, I don't think proximity to family factors in as much anymore. Something to consider.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
If he wants to play in Toronto they'll find a way, simple as that. Leafs have a lot of moveable assets that maybe they won't be able to maximize value on, but if the difference between having Pietrangelo or not is getting a 3rd instead of a 2nd round pick for Andreas Johnsson then you aren't GMing right.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Pietrangelo IMO falls into a group that includes Jones, Rielly, Hamilton, Slavin, Klingberg, OEL, McDonagh, Weber, Giordano & Burns. He might rank as high as 6.

No disrespect but Rielly IMHO has a bit fallen off. I personally thought he would bloom into a top end #1 D but he doesn't appear to have matured as much as I'd hoped. Even in his 72pts season his play seemed uneven when I saw him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No disrespect but Rielly IMHO has a bit fallen off. I personally thought he would bloom into a top end #1 D but he doesn't appear to have matured as much as I'd hoped. Even in his 72pts season his play seemed uneven when I saw him.

Rielly broke his foot and played a big chunk of games with said broken foot before being shut down. He's 26 years year old.

There's a very good chance that Rielly is a better defenceman than Alex Pietrangelo over the next 2 seasons, at which point that 28 year old Morgan Rielly is going to say -- look at what AP got 2 years ago when he was 2 years older than I am today, I'm worth way more than that.

Reactions: Rob Brown

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I'm sure if he says "honey we need t move I'm being offered 70 million."

she will go "OK"

Why? because 70 million that's why
It’s been reported the blues have offered 8 years at 8 mil. So it’s “honey should we uproot our family for an extra couple million”

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Rielly broke his foot and played a big chunk of games with said broken foot before being shut down. He's 26 years year old.

There's a very good chance that Rielly is a better defenceman than Alex Pietrangelo over the next 2 seasons, at which point that 28 year old Morgan Rielly is going to say -- look at what AP got 2 years ago when he was 2 years older than I am today, I'm worth way more than that.
I say this as a huge fan of Morgan Rielly, there's a very very small chance he ends up better than Pietrangelo over the next 2 years. Pietrangelo is easily a top 5-10 d-man. Rielly is not that.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It’s been reported the blues have offered 8 years at 8 mil. So it’s “honey should we uproot our family for an extra couple million”
But no trade protection. So should we risk being moved to _____. (Worst case) Or get full signing bonus, trade protection, feel wanted instead of slighted.....and play in TO

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So true. I wouldn’t be shocked if one of these “so called” reporters says the Canucks aren’t signing Markstrom and Tanev, because they’re after Pietrangelo. The guy is recently married to a St. Louis girl, and has three little kids. Usually young moms want to stay close to their families. And AP will make 60 million on this contract in St. Louis. Toronto gives him 70 million. Is that worth uprooting his young family?

Only difference is Toronto can structure his deal to give him a massive signing bonus right off the hop like they did with Tavares who got $15 million up front in year one of his deal. More money now, means he can invest it quicker. Rather than waiting to get paid over the course of his deal in St. Louis. That's why players want the big bucks quicker. He could get a nanny for every kid with that kind of money up front.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I say this as a huge fan of Morgan Rielly, there's a very very small chance he ends up better than Pietrangelo over the next 2 years. Pietrangelo is easily a top 5-10 d-man. Rielly is not that.
Honestly we need to get him a halfway decent partner before we can judge him.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But no trade protection. So should we risk being moved to _____. (Worst case) Or get full signing bonus, trade protection, feel wanted instead of slighted.....and play in TO

I think the signing bonus is the major sticking point. Would you want $8million next year and for the next 8 years ($64 million) paid out like regular? Or would you want $14 million on July 1st in year 1 of your deal, $10million on July 1 1st on year 2 of your deal and another $10 million on July 1st on year 3 and then the rest ($40 million) paid out in descending bonus's for the remaining years?

He can start investing it now, while making sure his family is set up in Toronto. Instead of investing a little bit here and there as he gets it. With a smart financial advisor he can turn that money into a lot more down the road then he could have had he been paid out like normal.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Dubas has proven that he can move players quickly. For as much flack as Leafs give him... at least he's active.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think the signing bonus is the major sticking point. Would you want $8million next year and for the next 8 years ($64 million) paid out like regular? Or would you want $14 million on July 1st in year 1 of your deal, $10million on July 1 1st on year 2 of your deal and another $10 million on July 1st on year 3 and then the rest ($40 million) paid out in descending bonus's for the remaining years?

He can start investing it now, while making sure his family is set up in Toronto. Instead of investing a little bit here and there as he gets it. With a smart financial advisor he can turn that money into a lot more down the road then he could have had he been paid out like normal.

I think the Leafs offer will be mid-loaded. Escrow is 20% next season, but is locked in at 6% from 2023-24 onwards.

Something like 6-6-9-12-12-9-6 (8.57 AAV) from year one through seven. Max bonuses, of course.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the Leafs offer will be mid-loaded. Escrow is 20% next season, but is locked in at 6% from 2023-24 onwards.

Something like 6-6-9-12-12-9-6 (8.57 AAV) from year one through seven. Max bonuses, of course.

Yeah that would make sense. When is the next potential lockout 2023?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What every bonus structure Pietrangelo wants, the Leafs can deal with, whatever the term should be fine as well, it's the cap hit that will be the issue. Leafs will probably not go over 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad