LeBrun: LeBrun sees Vegas, Toronto and Calgary as best landing spots for Pietrangelo

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The amount of cap space spent on a 23-man active roster cannot exceed the cap ceiling. You could have 100 million in LTIR cap hits and you still couldn't dress a lineup (including healthy scratches) that exceeds the cap ceiling.
The whole LTIR thing is confusing. Lol

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The whole LTIR thing is confusing. Lol

It exists because contracts are guaranteed. So a player who's injured for a long time can continue to get paid (by the team or insurance) and teams can utilize that cap space on a player who can play. The injured player counts towards your 50 contract limit, but not your 23 man roster limit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well than explain how the leafs are over the cap every year but when the season starts it works?

With LTIR, you have to apply to the NHL to place them on LTIR before the season starts. With guys like Horton, you get approved easily I assume. Now in another situation... Lets say Tampa tries that with Stamkos... that might be tricky

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
With LTIR, you have to apply to the NHL to place them on LTIR before the season starts. With guys like Horton, you get approved easily I assume. Now in another situation... Lets say Tampa tries that with Stamkos... that might be tricky
So if the leafs were at say 80 million spent out of 81.5 and got a player like Hossa who's hit is 5.3, the leafs don't gain anything and can still only go to 81.5?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So if the leafs were at say 80 million spent out of 81.5 and got a player like Hossa who's hit is 5.3, the leafs don't gain anything and can still only go to 81.5?

It's a complicated formula but not impossible to work around. The Blackhawks for example traded Hossa to the Coyotes cause after one year, they didn't like the daily management during their cap hell years IMO. Leafs went through that this past year and Dubas actually has a good handle on that.

I don't believe the Leafs get any advantage of adding Hossa. Coyotes are going to shed salary and won't be up against the cap like the Blackhawks were so they have no reason to trade Hossa to the Leafs or any other team and give an asset to move him.

Many rules to follow and one of them is you need to be under the cap (including all contracts) before the season starts. If you have a contract like Hossa and need the cap room, you have to apply to the NHL to place them on LTIR before the season starts. A guy like Hossa would be approved but there is a tricky daily formula to follow. I understand it a bit but not 100%.

CapFriendly explains this a bit... LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. Good luck!

Reactions: 93gilmour93

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

As @TooLegitToQuit mentioned, there is a very complicated formula.

Essentially, what it allows them to do is go up to $85.3 INCLUDING Hossa.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
With Petry getting 4 years @<6.5m, I find it a tough pill to swallow giving Pie more than 7 years @ 8m.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
For what it's worth, Friedman mentioned on his podcast that he feels like Vegas would be the frontrunner if it isn't St. Louis. Sounded like complete speculation on his part, but figured I'd mention it.

Mar 20, 2010
If the rumors are true that the issue is regarding the structure (i.e., signing bonus) more than anything else, can/would any other team besides Toronto accommodate such payments?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If the rumors are true that the issue is regarding the structure (i.e., signing bonus) more than anything else, can/would any other team besides Toronto accommodate such payments?

I feel like the Knights can considering they have done it before and Foley wants to win now.

Although this pandemic could have changed things.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I feel like the Blues can, but don't want to unless absolutely necessary.

Ledge And Dairy

Simply put yes.

This is how it would actually work though with this scenario.
Upper Cap Limit = 81.5M
Leafs Cap Before Hossa = 80M
Leafs Cap With Hossa = 80M + 5.3M = 85.3M

Notice that it is not the 81.5M + 5.3M. Basically your current cap hit + the LTIR contract(s) becomes your new cap hit but the LTIR contracts still count against the cap.

It's called the Accruable Cap Space Limit. It's essentially your team's cap hit + the LTIR contract cap hit. This is what allows teams like Ottawa to hit the floor last year with players on LTIR even though they are not in your 23 man roster. With LTIR your upper cap limit can exceed the league wide cap limit but the contracts on LTIR absorb a majority of that space.

If you want to take the time to read up on LTIR here is a link LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Ledge And Dairy

You mean like offer a 7.75M signing bonus with a 750k yearly salary? NYR and CHI can but that's about it. I would say a good portion of teams can probably offer a 4-5M signing bonus without much issue

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
You mean like offer a 7.75M signing bonus with a 750k yearly salary? NYR and CHI can but that's about it. I would say a good portion of teams can probably offer a 4-5M signing bonus without much issue
He wouldn't want this the first two years though, correct? He's still going to be seeing escrow taken out at 20% (?).

It'd be the middle years of the contract where the signing bonus would be important (and as maximum as can be in regards to the rest of the contract.

Ledge And Dairy

He wouldn't want this the first two years though, correct? He's still going to be seeing escrow taken out at 20% (?).

It'd be the middle years of the contract where the signing bonus would be important (and as maximum as can be in regards to the rest of the contract.
That seems like a none issues for a good amount of teams right now. Main issue is that covid is preventing income right now for owners. If things go well with the US TV deal then most teams should start generating a positive yearly net income consistently.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I certainly trust what Freidman says but it's such an odd situation because of the 3 teams mentioned Vegas has the least amount of cap space and that's before they sign Lehner, assuming they do that, they would be over the cap.

So who goes?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
With Petry getting 4 years @<6.5m, I find it a tough pill to swallow giving Pie more than 7 years @ 8m.
I don’t understand because Pietrangelo is a couple years younger and a couple tiers above Petry as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad