News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Both L'Esplanade Laurier and DND buildings are years from actually being sold by the Feds. There is nothing to negotiate there yet.

These guys know what they are doing. That's what I would say too if I were in the middle of negotiations with NCC over more Lebreton land.

Next NCC board meetings are in 3 and 6 months. That's probably when we will see some news.
True. Could be posturing, or making the Lebreton play worth their while. Having a MOU with the NCC and trying to make it feasible or suit their needs will only provide the Andlauer Group with more options and flexibility . I don’t think a shovel will hit the ground for some time. Andlauer has a lot of real estate money, as we know that Rocco Tullio is also involved , and can’t remember the other real estate guy.

That parcel of land right now is tiny at Lebreton, and I suppose if they can’t wrangle what they want out of the NCC, Sutcliffe will happily oblige with many areas in downtown , as he needs to revitalize it in the wake of hybrid work weeks and the exodus from the core.

I can’t see this arena being started before 2026

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Holy crap, haven't heard from you all season, hows the car (lol)?

Lebreton was always going to be the 100 year lease of the land, interesting to hear that the group has no interest in that plan though. I much prefer the idea of something closer to the market, I'm just unsure how feasible that is (completely out of my realm of expertise, so I'll assume they know what they are doing), but it would be amazing if they can make it work.

Thanks for sharing.
Hey, Ferrari is good, moved into another one that stirs my soul! They are honing in on the DND building downtown. They are starting early negotiations, they love the location, close to the Shaw Centre, LRT is at the doorstep and this site is about 7 acres. The only small hurdle is that DND is bulletproof of security details and structure, so it's a bit more involved to demolish that site.
Haven’t heard from you since you posted that blls*** about talking to Josh Norris who told you he was headed to Chicago for surgery. I still can’t figure out why Josh Norris lied to you. SMH.
Wasn't BS, he did go to Chicago but they convinced him to do the aggressive rehab which was a big waste of time. I spoke to him as he was packing up to leave around the 25th of May and was heading home. He is very happy with how things have now turned out but was bummed as he was not around the guys much this year. He looked forward to turning the page.....cool thing is I met the new tenant who is staying for the next 2 1/2 months....Tyler Boucher is now occupying the house, he too is staying to continue his rehab and skating.
Why would the Sens have an MOU with the NCC for Lebreton if they think building something in leased land is a no-go?
This was all done prior to EM passing on and new owners moving in. I can tell you that the group is not going to waste their time with the NCC. There is a hard push by the Mayor to sell something that is the city's vacant land, or the Feds vacant land. Ironically, the FEDS are looking to dispose of some pretty big pieces.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If Andlauer is loathe to deal with the NCC and prefers City owned land, would Bayview Yards not be an option? I think the site is 13 acres, it has LRT access and as far as I know, there's nothing significant that needs to be demolished. Demolishing a building and hauling the material away you'd think would involve significant costs. I can see this new arena being at least three years away (at the earliest).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The only downtown site that actually makes sense is DND - and that’ll be 5 years before work can begin.

This rumour has been there for a long time. I doubt Ottawa can get it together, but for a downtown arena it’s the best and real only option.

Put the new DND site at Lebreton and you can begin building this winter. New DND a headquarters all up to date still downtown - win win for everyone

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The only downtown site that actually makes sense is DND - and that’ll be 5 years before work can begin.

This rumour has been there for a long time. I doubt Ottawa can get it together, but for a downtown arena it’s the best and real only option.

Put the new DND site at Lebreton and you can begin building this winter. New DND a headquarters all up to date still downtown - win win for everyone

5 years before work can begin, 8-9 years before it’s built that is depressing would put me in my late 30’s , Andlauer in his late 60’s

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1687706063518.png

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Hurdman is a fantastic spot. Maybe even better than LeBreton since it has both great LRT and highway access.

Assen na yo!
This area suffers from the same problem that the CTC does, which is no entertainment infrastructure already exists at the site. No restaurants, no bars, no nightlife, nothing. They'd have to build up the infrastructure from scratch and all they'll end up with are national chains and franchises. Which I suppose would be the most Ottawa thing to happen to such an exciting development opportunity.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hurdman is a fantastic spot. Maybe even better than LeBreton since it has both great LRT and highway access.

Assen na yo!
No entertainment for before and after game. Might as well stay in Kanata, and save some money before going there.
Watson said they wait a few years likely even more opportunities
Andlauer said to Watson

What’s best for the city of Ottawa, and
What’s best for the fans experience

Those spots don’t fit either bill for what Andlauer wants.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
5 years before work can begin, 8-9 years before it’s built that is depressing would put me in my late 30’s , Andlauer in his late 60’s

It’ll give time for Lassi Thomson to establish himself as a true NHL’er

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
The whole city is built on unceded land. 100-year lease or ownership, doesn't really matter on that scale.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
The whole city is built on unceded land. 100-year lease or ownership, doesn't really matter on that scale.
thank you..finally a person with the balls to make a statement without pouring a ton of sugar or icing on it.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
This area suffers from the same problem that the CTC does, which is no entertainment infrastructure already exists at the site. No restaurants, no bars, no nightlife, nothing. They'd have to build up the infrastructure from scratch and all they'll end up with are national chains and franchises. Which I suppose would be the most Ottawa thing to happen to such an exciting development opportunity.

You're a six minute train ride from the Rideau Centre. Places would sprout up around a new rink and at Trainyards, which is a short walk away.

Assen na yo!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hey, Ferrari is good, moved into another one that stirs my soul! They are honing in on the DND building downtown. They are starting early negotiations, they love the location, close to the Shaw Centre, LRT is at the doorstep and this site is about 7 acres. The only small hurdle is that DND is bulletproof of security details and structure, so it's a bit more involved to demolish that site.
JAG and the Deputy minister's office have their claws in 101, it will be a tough sell to get them out, I can assure you neither will accept moving out to the campus on moody without a fight, but if they can find another suitable space downtown maybe...

I've always seen 101 as a very long, long shot. Hope I'm wrong

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Esplanade Laurier blocks would be as good and maybe better than the DND site (which I anlso like better than LeBreton) imo.

Reactions: coladin

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Claridge joining at the moment is strictly a hockey decision. I have spoken recently with Neil, and he talked about how this is a dream come true, being part of the Sens. They are huge hockey fans, their kids all play hockey, and they are your typical obsessive hockey dads. He said within 5 minutes of speaking with Andlauer, they were sold. And this would have never, ever happened under Melnyk (as they were approached to buy in over the years).

When I brought up the arena at Lebreton, he reacted like he smelled a fart...I don't think they are going there. I think the Indigenous issue is a bigger problem than anything. He did mention that they can build an arena for 750M.

My gut feeling is it will be downtown proper, and I think they City may own it, or have some sort of ownership in the arena. I just have a feeling that this will have a big City part in it, while not directly cash, there could be something deeper
did your friend Mr. Malhotra tell you where the 900 M purchase price is coming from, the 750-800 M building price and possibly the 10-20 M a year in team losses will come from?

Do they envision 19,000 fans at the CTC and a cup run for the playoffs? even with a cup run, you are at ~ 200 M (and this is soaked with upward projections). It will mean ~ 40 M to pay loans. Now is that realistic for the next 4 year! before the new arena. And what happens after? do they expect a CUP run every year for the Next 25 or so.

How does the money get paid?

Damn do I wish Neil, Michel, Jed (or is it Jeb) would hold press conferences.. f*** do I want to hear William Shakespeare at work.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I hate to say it but I think we should all set our expectations that nothing is going to happen on the arena front for quite a while. I anticipate that Andlauer is going to have a statement to that effect pretty early and put it to bed for the time being.

After spending what he did on the team the economics just aren't there and neither is the appetite to take on risk.

On top of that as the team gets more and more competitive the CTC will start selling out again while ticket prices surge and everything to him will feel just fine.

This all started with Melnyk's dream to build a downtown stadium which was fuelled by the prospect of leveraging the increase in franchise value that he gained over the years. That led to the MOU with Lebreton which gave it more legs and this went into overdrive during the sale of the team with developers and entertainers salivating at the potential of a new entertainment district while glossing over the reality of the numbers.

But now we're faced a complete reset. We have someone who did not buy the team for the development potential and who unfortunately overpaid for the team. Along with it he owns a perfectly good asset that the team can play out of for another 10 years which happens to be surrounded by the promise of suburban wealth and continued development.

I just don't see it happening anytime soon. And with Lebreton specifically I think we will find out pretty quickly that it is in fact dead in the water.

Reactions: Icelevel

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I hate to say it but I think we should all set our expectations that nothing is going to happen on the arena front for quite a while. I anticipate that Andlauer is going to have a statement to that effect pretty early and put it to bed for the time being.

After spending what he did on the team the economics just aren't there and neither is the appetite to take on risk.

On top of that as the team gets more and more competitive the CTC will start selling out again while ticket prices surge and everything to him will feel just fine.

This all started with Melnyk's dream to build a downtown stadium which was fuelled by the prospect of leveraging the increase in franchise value that he gained over the years. That led to the MOU with Lebreton which gave it more legs and this went into overdrive during the sale of the team with developers and entertainers salivating at the potential of a new entertainment district while glossing over the reality of the numbers.

But now we're faced a complete reset. We have someone who did not buy the team for the development potential and who unfortunately overpaid for the team. Along with it he owns a perfectly good asset that the team can play out of for another 10 years which happens to be surrounded by the promise of suburban wealth and continued development.

I just don't see it happening anytime soon. And with Lebreton specifically I think we will find out pretty quickly that it is in fact dead in the water.
Also the mayor said, Andlauer told him the team was the most important thing, building is secondary.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No entertainment for before and after game. Might as well stay in Kanata, and save some money before going there.
Watson said they wait a few years likely even more opportunities
Andlauer said to Watson

What’s best for the city of Ottawa, and
What’s best for the fans experience

Those spots don’t fit either bill for what Andlauer wants.

I’m NOT advocating for Hurdman.

BUT if I were the new owner, this site could work.

Could build Arena with Hotel, bars and restaurants incorporated into the arena , and even possibly owned and operated by the new owner.

cutting out the competition and cornering the market on game and event nights…. And perhaps create a new destination for diners and bar hoppers on other nights… something akin to Landsdowne but with excellent public transportation connections….

As the owner, I suspect he is thinking “what is best for the owner”….

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

I don't think Andlauer has the balls to buy the team and keep it in Kanata tbh. Its a great way to erase a majority of the goodwill you just acquired to tell the city that the team isn't coming to play in Ottawa for the foreseeable future.

Andluer isn't the sole investor in all this either he likely paid around 500M for his ownership stake in the club less whatever he gets back from the sale of the Habs.

Claridge, Andlauer, Rocco, Yorkville Asset Management, Jeff York and Partners should have the capital and experience to get this done with the City having aligned interests as well.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
that's what I posted years ago.

I’m NOT advocating for Hurdman.

BUT if I were the new owner, this site could work.

Could build Arena with Hotel, bars and restaurants incorporated into the arena , and even possibly owned and operated by the new owner.

cutting out the competition and cornering the market on game and event nights…. And perhaps create a new destination for diners and bar hoppers on other nights… something akin to Landsdowne but with excellent public transportation connections….

As the owner, I suspect he is thinking “what is best for the owner”….
There is even space to make an off ramp that could connect Hurdman to the Queensway.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
Does the Hurdman idea allow for keeping the huge bus station that's there now, along with its dozens of platforms and bus marshalling area? I think there's enough surplus land around there but not sure. Any regular riders?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think Andlauer has the balls to buy the team and keep it in Kanata tbh. Its a great way to erase a majority of the goodwill you just acquired to tell the city that the team isn't coming to play in Ottawa for the foreseeable future.

Andluer isn't the sole investor in all this either he likely paid around 500M for his ownership stake in the club less whatever he gets back from the sale of the Habs.

Claridge, Andlauer, Rocco, Yorkville Asset Management, Jeff York and Partners should have the capital and experience to get this done with the City having aligned interests as well.
It will get built in 6-10 years, (min/max), so a median of 8 years
the Mayor said, in 2-3 years, more sites are likely to become available, that could be even better.
A lot depends what the NCC offers, even then, there are other issues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad