News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I’m assuming this wouldn’t come with any surrounding redevelopment deal if Melnyk was to only pursue a stadium (of course he will want someone else financing the whole shabang). It’s so obvious this is where the sens belong so I expect it absolutely won’t happen

Reactions: branch

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Ruszowski is the VP of corporate affairs at NCC now. Could either be really good or really bad

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Another interesting tidbit…

Here's the full article that comes from

The Skate: What's next? | Ottawa Citizen

More context for the quote:
The Ottawa mess

The Senators have a nice group of young players, but the organization around them is a mess. And it has been for years.
It doesn’t help that their owner isn’t really that wealthy and mostly just likes the idea of being an NHL owner, rather than being interested in truly building a winner.
Not to mention having a bad GM running the show. They badly need a change in hockey leadership.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Other than citizen writer, who is Patrick Johnston? What are his credentials?

"Interesting to hear Melnyk is fielding offers"

Who is he hearing this from? He doesn't even claim sources which makes me conclude he is the one who heard it... is this guy credible at all?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I mean I’m not expecting Melnyk to sell, but if he did, it would make sense to do it now so the new owner could build a new rink at Lebreton in this proposal

Reactions: DrEasy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Other than citizen writer, who is Patrick Johnston? What are his credentials?

"Interesting to hear Melnyk is fielding offers"

Who is he hearing this from? He doesn't even claim sources which makes me conclude he is the one who heard it... is this guy credible at all?

He is the beat reporter for the Canucks, from Sun Media.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Of course NCC would say that, anybody can bid and an NHL arena could be a good anchor to build-up Lebreton as an attraction.

Some are trying to connect the dots wrt re-hiring of CFO Erin Crowe and a potential new hockey arena, but any new ownership talk seems like the same ol' same ol' with no resolution in sight.

Melnyk did pursue a sale of the team of (rumoured $430M +/-) that the NHL BOG rejected. Doesn't mean they don't want the team to be sold, but they would make sure it is sold for the price they set and the new owner is going to be in good standing financially.

So yes, the appetite is likely there from Melnyk to sell, but getting full value is tough when the Sens organization, top to bottom, on and off ice, is a shitshow.

In any case, I think it's all bullshit to deflect the focus away from Melnyk and Dorion for standing pat, respectively, in the current state of the franchise. The fans and media covering the team need to hear from Sens ownership and management, and knowing how they run the show it won't surprise me if a legit source linked to/within the organization leaks these rumours that would make Iraq's former Minister of Information proud.

André Desmarais (of Power Corp.) and Guy Laliberté (of Cirque du Soleil) were interested in some sort of partnership. They were even on hand to backup Melnyk in NCC hearing to see through the bid (with Melnyk retained as the "hockey man" and the Senators being part of Devcore's build plan) that was ultimately cancelled by NCC.

I always think it's a matter of time before ownership structure changes, but that time is not nigh (unfortunately).

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Here's the full article that comes from

The Skate: What's next? | Ottawa Citizen

More context for the quote:
The Ottawa mess

The Senators have a nice group of young players, but the organization around them is a mess. And it has been for years.
It doesn’t help that their owner isn’t really that wealthy and mostly just likes the idea of being an NHL owner, rather than being interested in truly building a winner.
Not to mention having a bad GM running the show. They badly need a change in hockey leadership.
Damn, better be careful, that'll get you buried in these parts.

Reactions: DrEasy and branch

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I worry that the comment below from the Sens sale rumours would make Eug dig in and try and prove them wrong.

"It doesn’t help that their owner isn’t really that wealthy and mostly just likes the idea of being an NHL owner, rather than being interested in truly building a winner."

Reactions: JimmySpaetzle

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
With the NCC coming out and openly inviting the Sens back to Lebreton, maybe they know something about the Sens that the public doesn't. Funny timing for that rumor to come out. Person who put it out there was questioned on twitter and he came back to say he trusts his sources.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lots of rumours about Melnyk's health rapidly failing and the Penguins, a team in a weak market and a not great near-future outlook (Crosby is starting to fade and Malkin is q UFA), selling for almost a billion means the time to sell is now.

I'm worried about someone buying the team to move it though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He is the beat reporter for the Canucks, from Sun Media.

Odd that a Canucks reporter would post this.... This guy has nothing to gain from making up a rumor like this. There might be some truth behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad