News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Overall we're a selfish, destructive species who like to indulge, even at the expense of others and have awful behavior noted all throughout history. Humans aren't going to just change. We're just a plague on this planet and our existence is such a strange futile phenomenon. Just imagine how much this planet must have thrived and will thrive without us. Dinosaurs were much cooler.
Eh there would have been a dinosaur dink eventually who would have screwed it all up for everyone.

Don’t worry, the sharks, crocodiles, and tortoises will have another shot when we’re all gone.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
we elected them.. don't forget. this does not look bad on them. But on us.

It is not the fool in office, but the fool who elects the fool to office.
To be fair, the electoral choice often boils down to evil vs incompetent, corrupt vs naive, etc. There just doesn't seem to be enough incentive for good people to run in these elections.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Overall we're a selfish, destructive species who like to indulge, even at the expense of others and have awful behavior noted all throughout history. Humans aren't going to just change. We're just a plague on this planet and our existence is such a strange futile phenomenon. Just imagine how much this planet must have thrived and will thrive without us. Dinosaurs were much cooler.

Any species that evolves a big brain (and opposable thumbs) will eventually do the same thing. Life tries to grow to the limits of it's environment. We're just too good at it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Eh there would have been a dinosaur dink eventually who would have screwed it all up for everyone.

Don’t worry, the sharks, crocodiles, and tortoises will have another shot when we’re all gone.
Lol. Luckily, they were too primitive for their own good and just feasted on each other in a more natural habitat.
Any species that evolves a big brain (and opposable thumbs) will eventually do the same thing. Life tries to grow to the limits of it's environment. We're just too good at it.
True story.

And with big brains comes big emotions which is really what sets us apart from other species and drives our motivations.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol. Luckily, they were too primitive for their own good and just feasted on each other in a more natural habitat.

True story.

And with big brains comes big emotions which is really what sets us apart from other species and drives our motivations.
Dinosaur HFsens would have been so much more enjoyable with all of those small brains and lack of emotional attachments.

And if there was an opinion the majority didn’t like, well, they’d just eat them! Much more effective ignore list…. Lol

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
To go ahead with a north south train line, that did NOT address the obvious East West congestion on everyone’s daily commute was ludicrous …. Thankfully Larry was elected to shut it down.
Larry also derailed the east-west line that he promised.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
That's reductive. There are many examples of human cultures that aren't insanely destructive and rampant. That respect their place within the environment rather than impose their will on it.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Could the NCC set aside a plot of land that could hold 2 arenas. Half goes to the sens, Half goes to another building that has a building life span equal to the arena. When the new Arena is near the end of its life, you essentially swap places. New new arena gets built beside old one, then old one gets torn down and new buildings with similar life span are put in.

Make the building something stupid like local artists or whatever gets the NCC off.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Fake News.
My post with the original east-west plan that was dropped under O’Brien’s watch has been deleted by a mod for being off-topic. As were your comments. Your last word “fake news” is worthless.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My post with the original east-west plan that was dropped under O’Brien’s watch has been deleted by a mod for being off-topic. As were your comments. Your last word “fake news” is worthless.
Would be in seeing (link?) any news report that supports that an”original” east west LRT route, through Lebreton Flats, was “dropped”…. Every thing I’ve read shows a committee began until the LOB watch, with proposals and options that ended up with the current route, that was confirmed the year after LOB was replaced.

North South, beginning at Bayview, and running south to Riverside South…. Through some properties along Spratt road that were owned by family members of the Mayor who proposed the North South route, rightly cancelled by the next mayor…. As it did not address the east west issues.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Would be in seeing (link?) any news report that supports that an”original” east west LRT route, through Lebreton Flats, was “dropped”…. Every thing I’ve read shows a committee began until the LOB watch, with proposals and options that ended up with the current route, that was confirmed the year after LOB was replaced.

North South, beginning at Bayview, and running south to Riverside South…. Through some properties along Spratt road that were owned by family members of the Mayor who proposed the North South route, rightly cancelled by the next mayor…. As it did not address the east west issues.
I posted a city of Ottawa plan, but a mod took it down. I’ll see if I can find it again.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

This is the environmental assessment SOW.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Great analogy from Mr. Smith.

I'm impressed both that my comment wasn't removed, and your perfect choice of clip there.

The accuracy of the comparison is eerie.

It’s the summer on HF. ;)

you must be bored, if you are reaching for week old posts.

NyQuil. It's 30 outside. Grab the Dora the Explora floaters and head to a beach.

I’m on my way to Lone Star for a colleague’s birthday.

Giddy up!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It’s the summer on HF. ;)

I’m on my way to Lone Star for a colleague’s birthday.

Giddy up!
Better turn off that advanced human brain of yours and go have some fun, as suggested.

You'd think we'd learn not to hang around for these saga's after how long some of the others drug on.

sure, encourage.. then everything gets deleted.
Better to have lived and said dumb shit on the internet than to have never lived at all

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Better turn off that advanced human brain of yours and go have some fun, as suggested.

You'd think we'd learn not to hang around for these saga's after how long some of the others drug on.

It's hard to be jaded about the helpless doom of the human condition when you've got one of these in your hand.

1688492612180.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's hard to be jaded about the helpless doom of the human condition when you've got one of these in your hand.

View attachment 726127
Is there anything left for humans to do but indulge?

Ironically, I had a friend over last night that's a big Elon Musk D rider telling me all about the next frontier for humans being in space. I had to break the news that as fruitless as it is likely to be, it'll only be for the wealthy elite and not for us either way. We all know it'd be an Elysium like societal separation.

Great choice btw, those Beergarita's are both delicious and can pack a punch.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ironically, I had a friend over last night that's a big Elon Musk D rider telling me all about the next frontier for humans being in space. I had to break the news that as fruitless as it is likely to be, it'll only be for the wealthy elite and not for us either way. We all know it'd be an Elysium like societal separation.

Not that this has anything to do with LeBreton, but I'm in favour of anything that distributes us as a species a little bit further among the stars.

Sure, in the face of the inevitable heat death of the universe, it's a fruitless pursuit, but I wouldn't mind some of our achievements sticking around a little longer as opposed to being wiped out by a passing piece of rock.

It really depends on what kind of perspective you're taking. From an evolutionary standpoint, all of our little experiments in governance and capital distribution are small potatoes.

To quote Shelley:

ozymandias-tl.jpg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not that this has anything to do with LeBreton, but I'm in favour of anything that distributes us as a species a little bit further among the stars.

Sure, in the face of the inevitable heat death of the universe, it's a fruitless pursuit, but I wouldn't mind some of our achievements sticking around a little longer as opposed to being wiped out by a passing piece of rock.
Well, Lebreton is on Earth, so seems applicable enough lol.

For sure though, there is some intrigue there. I do find it interesting, like many of the technological advancements we're seeing, but I guess I just fail to see it as much progress without a habitable planet being an achievable goal. We already know we can put ourselves in bubbles anywhere we can get to, and we know there's no habitable planet within reasonable distance, so they better hurry up and figure out this space travel thing. This whole human time. relatively short life spans, and everything being so far away really complicates the matter.

And it's like anything these days. These advancements are cool, like the AI and robotics growth, but they're primarily going to be used to make rich people money, not for the betterment of society, so I'm not crossing my fingers this is about much else than selling billion dollar tickets to further their interests like I'm watching 2012 or something.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Well, Lebreton is on Earth, so seems applicable enough lol.

For sure though, there is some intrigue there. I do find it interesting, like many of the technological advancements we're seeing, but I guess I just fail to see it as much progress without a habitable planet being an achievable goal. We already know we can put ourselves in bubbles anywhere we can get to, and we know there's no habitable planet within reasonable distance, so they better hurry up and figure out this space travel thing. This whole human time. relatively short life spans, and everything being so far away really complicates the matter.

And it's like anything these days. These advancements are cool, like the AI and robotics growth, but they're primarily going to be used to make rich people money, not for the betterment of society, so I'm not crossing my fingers this is about much else than selling billion dollar tickets to further their interests like I'm watching 2012 or something.
In the early 1900, a young physicist. One that failed in school as a child, postulated a thereoy on Energy...he may have stolen it from Lorentz!!!!

Energy ~
1688494470975.png

so as you travel faster and faster, the energy climbs more and more. Until we get close to the speed of light and the energy becomes infinite.

so, we poor humans can only travel at modest speeds, way less than the speed of light...

And there is virtually nothing close by that is not lightyears away.

All the near by planets/bodies are not fit for human life....

Unless you endorse Terraforming. Which is as of today, only lightly regarded. Granted firing a few hundred rockets at some moon around Jupiter with Algae, may be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille