News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why don't you close the multi level parking in the Market and stop the on-street parking there as well. And let's see if there is a market left!
They mentioned that on CTVNews Ottawa. When they were talking about how to improve the market, council they said would evaluating a lot of things. One being closing that garage.
I was a little surprised.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
They mentioned that on CTVNews Ottawa. When they were talking about how to improve the market, council they said would evaluating a lot of things. One being closing that garage.
I was a little surprised.
go ahead... taxes are easy.

do yo know how much they have added as service charges to your water bill?

keep going? instead of having tourists pay it.. we can.

Councilor Meaghan wrote me an e-mail 5 years ago.. about the water bill.. It was an Oh MY God moment.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is going to be interesting

Seems most of the other bids were interested in the real estate angle of this deal but Andlauer is primarily interested in the hockey team. Good for us. Not necessarily good for the NCC. It'll be interesting to watch this play out.

Personally I'd tear down Lesplanade Laurier and buy out the north side of Gloucester and build the rink there

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa

Seems most of the other bids were interested in the real estate angle of this deal but Andlauer is primarily interested in the hockey team. Good for us. Not necessarily good for the NCC. It'll be interesting to watch this play out.

Personally I'd tear down Lesplanade Laurier and buy out the north side of Gloucester and build the rink there
Being a Pineview resident, I approve! :laugh:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Me too, that would be really cool.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

That's an interesting option, I have no idea how feasible it is but location wise, it's seems close to ideal if enoughland can be bought out.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Lol no. Claridge is already building on Lebreton. Lebreton IS the reason why Claridge (Malhotras) joined the bid.
No other parcel comes close to Lebreton potential for development.

Right now they are playing it cool and pretending to look at other options, precisely because they want it so much, and their goal is to get as much they could. That's Negotiations 101.

They will not pass on an opportunity to get a huge swath of land for free from NCC, the land they would otherwise have to compete with other developers one parcel at a time, and pay tens of Millions for.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Lol no. Claridge is already building on Lebreton. Lebreton IS the reason why Claridge (Malhotras) joined the bid.

Right now they are playing it cool and pretending to look at other options, precisely because they want it so much, and their goal is to get as much they could. That's Negotiations 101.

They will not pass on an opportunity to get a huge swath of land for free from NCC, the land they would otherwise have to compete with other developers one parcel at a time, and pay tens of Millions for.
hey Starling,

you seem up to date. That lawsuit by the indigenous community over that land, how is it going?

And I only briefly followed, but what is happening with Kirby Whiteduck... in 2016 he was talking about that land and benefits to the Indigenous community. Now I see he sits on the NCC commission!!!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Like i said, it's going to be interesting

Andlauer doesn't seem to be interested in the real estate angle. Malhotra can be contracted to build the arena, regardless of where it's built

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Like i said, it's going to be interesting

Andlauer doesn't seem to be interested in the real estate angle. Malhotra can be contracted to build the arena, regardless of where it's built
Didn’t EM’s board have a an all-star line up of companies to design, build, and manage the new arena already in place?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Didn’t EM’s board have a an all-star line up of companies to design, build, and manage the new arena already in place?
Ya he did. I presume that Andlauer won't have issues walking away from that if he chooses

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1687555099222.png

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When can we expect shovels to hit the ground at Lebretton?

The NCC has to do a study first…. Then come up with some recommendations…. and then some public recommendations… and then another study and then pass the file to have an environmental assessment …. another report and public consultations and then some recommendations…. Oh, and then they have to consult the indigenous community and their leaders, another study and a new set of recommendations and public input…… so maybe if we’re lucky, 15 years.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Where has it ever been mentioned that it will be for free? The terms of the lease will be negotiated and this is where the whole thing is liable to unravel. Owners need control of their own stadium, the NCC is in the business of making the most out of their land. It isn't the dream marriage everyone is making it out to be.

That said I am legitimately interested in the information I'm missing that proves my pessimism wrong and yeah, I know that an arena will be a major economic driver for the rest of Lebreton and that could result in some favourable terms for Andlauer. But I just don't see the NCC offering a good enough deal to offset the lack of real ownership that sports team owners are typically after.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The NCC has to do a study first…. Then come up with some recommendations…. and then some public recommendations… and then another study and then pass the file to have an environmental assessment …. another report and public consultations and then some recommendations…. Oh, and then they have to consult the indigenous community and their leaders, another study and a new set of recommendations and public input…… so maybe if we’re lucky, 15 years.
f***in ridiculous. Firestone is such a f***in idiot for building the arena out in Kanata in the first place.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Not true at all. When Rendezvous Lebreton won the original bid for Lebreton in April 2016, Melnyk was originally expecting shovels in the ground that summer.

Any delays are not from the NCC side.

Assen na yo!

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Not true at all. When Rendezvous Lebreton won the original bid for Lebreton in April 2016, Melnyk was originally expecting shovels in the ground that summer.

Assen na yo!
are the conditions of the old project still in place.

essentially Rendez vous Lebreton is still an awarded project?

And so all Andlauer has to do is say, okay, I will start digging?

I thought that all sorts of dates had passed and the project is now at point zero again.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Assen na yo!
Well, that was obviously Melnyk looking at it with rose coloured glasses and since when did we believe anything he said?

I know decontamination could start in advance but planning and design would need to be well down the road before permits are issued and considering the requirement for significant roadways and other access channels that need to connect to the peripheral spaces, I seriously doubt much could happen before the design and planning was signed off on by 100 different stakeholders/departments.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, that was obviously Melnyk looking at it with rose coloured glasses and since when did we believe anything he said?

I know decontamination could start in advance but planning and design would need to be well down the road before permits are issued and considering the requirement for significant roadways and other access channels that need to connect to the peripheral spaces, I seriously doubt much could happen before the design and planning was signed off on by 100 different stakeholders/departments.
Yup. I'd buy a piece of land and get the permits and start building

I honestly can't think of a single thing in this town that involved government that wasn't completely f***ed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad