News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Overall we're a selfish, destructive species who like to indulge, even at the expense of others and have awful behavior noted all throughout history. Humans aren't going to just change. We're just a plague on this planet and our existence is such a strange futile phenomenon. Just imagine how much this planet must have thrived and will thrive without us. Dinosaurs were much cooler.
I have said the very same thing to my wife!

• Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And it's like anything these days. These advancements are cool, like the AI and robotics growth, but they're primarily going to be used to make rich people money, not for the betterment of society, so I'm not crossing my fingers this is about much else than selling billion dollar tickets to further their interests like I'm watching 2012 or something.

I think that most progress and inventions start out that way.

I like to think about my grandmother and what she saw in her lifetime, from horses and the telephone to human flight and the transistor, to the internet and AI and beyond, and that only within the lifespan of a single human being.

Terraforming or intergalactic travel may seem inconceivable now, but I'm sure a lot of people said the same about much of what we take for granted now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think that most progress and inventions start out that way.

I like to think about my grandmother and what she saw in her lifetime, from horses and the telephone to human flight and the transistor, to the internet and AI and beyond, and that only within the lifespan of a single human being.

Terraforming or intergalactic travel may seem inconceivable now, but I'm sure a lot of people said the same about much of what we take for granted now.
That's a good point. There is a trickle down effect eventually and it doesn't happen without their money. Just if push comes to shove, they get the ticket off the island, but that's nothing new.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That's a good point. There is a trickle down effect eventually and it doesn't happen without their money. Just if push comes to shove, they get the ticket off the island, but that's nothing new.

I think it's worth some perspective. Things are tough right now for sure but think about what causes people to worry right now: housing, healthcare and groceries.

What isn't that big of a deal? Anything tech related.

We've gone from 1 family radio to 2-4 TVs in a home.
We've gone from 1 car if you're rich to 2-3 cars in a family.
More people live alone now which plays a part in higher housing costs.
Most people have a cellphone, many have laptops, tablets, game consoles.
And then there's subscriptions - many families have a prime subscription or a Netflix one.
We have better healthcare with more treatments for various diseases.

Could the benefits of progress have been shared a bit more evenly? Yeah. But I think it's worth some perspective here. Previous generations had their own problems and "simpler" lives. We have a lot of benefits previous generations did not.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille