News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
If there are no parking spots, provided by a downtown arena, people can choose to take public transportation or find parking somewhere close.
or not go.. or go to bars, etc. in another area that provides easy parking.

and yes, private parking will pop up.. not controlled by the team.. so, money goes elsewhere and the parking operators can choke the team anytime they want.

read up on Robert Kraft, Sullivan and the NEW England Patriots

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I think a new arena could be anywhere from 5 to 12 yrs away, 2028 - 2035. They could easily refurbish CTC in the meantime to last another 10 yrs. He could even sell the team in 5 to 10 yrs for a profit before building a new arena, lots of stuff could happen over the next decade.
I agree with the timeline of 5 to 12 years.
With the skyrocketing building costs one would have to think think building a new arena would be more than double the $600-$700 million estimates that have been posted on here.....so probably around $1.2 to $1.4 billion to build a new arena would be a reasonable estimate if the timeline is close to 10 years from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
across the street from the Canada Post building on Industrial there is a large parcel of land next to The Train Yards and close to the train station/the Queensway/Hurdman.

View attachment 721655

Big enough for an arena, and decently close to Hurdman station.

Not a bad location. And still has the potential for an entertainment district to build up around Hurdman.

Although in this case, I'd probably try and get some sort of (nice) underground tunnel from Hurdman to the arena. Not sure how feasible that is, but it would definitely encourage people to ride the LRT in winter knowing the walk to the LRT is snow/ice free.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
None of these places are actually ‘downtown’ though like DND is. That would be perfect like in TO, Van, and MTL. Right by the canal for skate ups, the market, Elgin st, Rideau centre… parking underground for players and vips, the rest hit the parkades, and Sandy hill and walk..

It may seem like ‘downtown’ when you live in the burbs, but Hurdman is sure as shit not ‘downtown’, and neither is Lebreton for that matter! Hahaha

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
None of these places are actually ‘downtown’ though like DND is. That would be perfect like in TO, Van, and MTL. Right by the canal for skate ups, the market, Elgin st, Rideau centre… parking underground for players and vips, the rest hit the parkades, and Sandy hill and walk..

It may seem like ‘downtown’ when you live in the burbs, but Hurdman is sure as shit not ‘downtown’, and neither is Lebreton for that matter! Hahaha

The way things are going, even downtown won't be downtown in another 15-20 years. Changing demographics and WFH is going to change a lot of cities. And culture. And how we gather and entertain and where we go for leisure activities.

In a way, this is a very tricky time to build anything big in regards to attracting customers. General rules of thumb that worked for the last 50+ years might not be the way to go for the future.

It's goign to be interesting to see how big business navigates the changing landscape.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My standards are low. I’ll take anywhere along the LRT. Taking the bus to and from the CTC in the winter is miserable.

I‘ve checked the OCTranspo trip planner website to see how to get to a game, from the South Keys area… and it was somewhere around 90 minutes provided you make the transfers, and the bus/train run on time.

Opted for driving and parking at Hurleys, and taking their shuttle to and from the game.

Shuttle buses get ushered right into their designated parking area, next to the covered walkway, and ushered right out after the game, and back to Hurleys… and probably in my Car quicker than exiting the Parking lot, if I had parked at the CTC….

Anywhere downtown would be a no brainer… public transportation would be easier and preferable over driving and finding some place to park and then walk.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
The LRT is planned to eventually get to the CTC.

Assen na yo!
As part of phase 3, which is certainly subject to change.

Phase 3 is slated for what, 2028-2030? We could have a downtown arena by then.

The major problem with continued use of CTC, even if an LRT line makes it directly to the front door, is that the majority of users are still transiting in one direction - downtown.

It's a much better option to have a centrally located rink that facilitates transit use in multiple directions.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ironically the CTC likely won't be there by the time it does

That might also work in the favor of the Sens. When it comes to selling that piece of land in Kanata, I mean.

Imagine having a series of condo towers right there with a direct LRT line at your front door. That has to be a nice little selling point for building there.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Mayor of Ottawa, whose campaign was helped by John Baird helping to get federal funding for the O-Train line contract with Siemens to be cancelled.

How did cancelling a north south line impact light rail going as far west as the CTC?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
How did cancelling a north south line impact light rail going as far west as the CTC?
At the time, there was a plan to get light rail up to Kanata North by now. I can't remember all of the plans and pivots. He flip-flopped and generally delayed things. He ran on an auserity platform, slowing down infrastructure. The prior article I shared didn't get into that. Here's a little bit on Wilkinson (Kanata North councillor) describing O'Brien's pivot:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
At the time, there was a plan to get light rail up to Kanata North by now. I can't remember all of the plans and pivots. He flip-flopped and generally delayed things. He ran on an auserity platform, slowing down infrastructure. The prior article I shared didn't get into that. Here's a little bit on Wilkinson (Kanata North councillor) describing O'Brien's pivot:

Well, I don't think political decisions taken in 2006 really have much to do with the complete f*** up that LRT is in 2023.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Well, I don't think political decisions taken in 2006 really have much to do with the complete f*** up that LRT is in 2023.
They're bemoaning the opportunity cost, which seems pretty clear.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Yeah. Imagine we'd stuck with Siemens, not paid out the cancellation penalty, and maybe had trains that can run in four seasons, already servicing Kanata.
we elected them.. don't forget. this does not look bad on them. But on us.

It is not the fool in office, but the fool who elects the fool to office.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
While that's true, Theresa significant advantage in being at the center of the line over bring at one of its extremities
Yep. Multi directional travel from the destination. Not bottlenecking because everyone has to transit east on a single line to get to their transfers.

CTC connect isn't even set in stone as far as I can tell. And actually makes for a super weird bend for having to cross over the highway to get there.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
we elected them.. don't forget. this does not look bad on them. But on us.

It is not the fool in office, but the fool who elects the fool to office.
Oh, I certainly do blame the electorate for buying into the austerity measures candidate's pitch.

But that's a ridiculous abstraction, discussing the mayor's policy decisions is the way an electorate works out the public weal.

And in this case, O'Brien's policy decision diverged from his platform. So blame does largely rest on his shoulders.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

To go ahead with a north south train line, that did NOT address the obvious East West congestion on everyone’s daily commute was ludicrous …. Thankfully Larry was elected to shut it down.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We can't do much. The average person is profoundly stupid, lacking in empathy and staggeringly uncurious.

Democracy is a good idea let down by people being people in an increasingly complex world.
Overall we're a selfish, destructive species who like to indulge, even at the expense of others and have awful behavior noted all throughout history. Humans aren't going to just change. We're just a plague on this planet and our existence is such a strange futile phenomenon. Just imagine how much this planet must have thrived and will thrive without us. Dinosaurs were much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino