Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in Tampa! 4-3

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Great win. The big boys played well and the D stepped it up in the third when Muzzin went down. Just hoping we can string together a consistent run of games here. Huge game Thursday, come ready gents!

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Special teams were the difference tonight, 2/3 for us on the PP while Tampa went 0/3 on there PP. I'm just going to assume that Muzzin broke a bone in his hand by the fact he didn't return to the 3rd, but nonetheless good W on the road against a good team, just hope they carry momentum against the Panthers.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
5 stages of cope. This falls somewhere in there.

No one said the leafs are the worst team in the league. In fact the fact that they are good enough to beat Tampa makes their loss to a Zamboni driver even more pronounced and puts even more limelight on how embarrassingly bad they were that game and how embarrassingly bad they are at handling pressure along with the mental weakness of the group in that game.
I finally understood why Babcock never played Matthews and Marner together.

If things don't go well, it could implode.

Matthews and Marner together, those are the two best forwards on the team. The team is on their shoulders. The entire Leafs universe is riding on two kids.

But they are just two kids. Can they handle that type of pressure?

I would say no.

Marner is being paid $11 million dollars, and on Saturday night the kid falls down in the 3rd period on the power play. He fell down all on his own.

Anyone notice Marner tonight?

I think MLSE got to lay off the kid, take the pressure off.

:deadhorse

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
You guys got to get a grip on how things work.

If you call that game management by the refs, well, expect it to happen again. In the next game, the game after that, the season after this one, and as long as the NHL has been in existence.

There is no point in complaining about it.

The point is the win the game. Figure out how to win the game, under those conditions.

That's not trolling. That's reality. If people think that is trolling, that definitely is not my problem.

The Leafs won tonight because they got the jump on Tampa, Andersen was solid enough to win.

Of course, on the ice, during the game, you have to deal with it. It doesn't mean people shouldn't point it out.

If these refs need to be replaced by A.I, they will eventually. Call it right. The NFL immediately placed in a challenge when the Saints was robbed of the pass interference two years ago that cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. NHL has been in the Dark Ages for a long time.

I think it was 2006 or 2007 and the league mandated calling everything, especially interference. Players were apparently going to adapt. Well they had. Now it's reverting back. Leafs do it too from time to time, but they have the type of team that relies on speed and skill, so they don't rely on that as much as their opposition.

If I'm the team, I complain and make the league aware. Clean it up, it's costing us games and revenue. The league is supposed to be about skill and compete, not allowing weaker players interference with quicker players. You can play hard, check the Leafs to the ground if you want, but stop interfering.

Reactions: danron1376

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a much better player than Dermott, Marincin, Rosen, etc..

He was a top 4 D who could play all situations. Not perfect but any stretch, but capable.
No he isn't. Dermott is a better player than Ceci. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a PP, and he's a possession sieve.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
A good effort on both sides of the ice tonight. Matthews and Nylander are getting stronger and realizing that they can outmuscle guys out there. That's huge. Marner should trade his salary with Nylander's. Muzzin was the best Leaf out there before he left the game. Freddie pretty was good. I'm gonna watch the replay of Nylander's goal at least 100 times. That's all that I have to say.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Of course, on the ice, during the game, you have to deal with it. It doesn't mean people shouldn't point it out.
Yup, fully agree.

Pointing it out is essential. Using it as a crutch to explain away any failings, we probably should frown on that.

Although I must admit I really like the conspiracy theories that are spawned by the uneven officiating.

All that is unholy in the NHL leads back to Messr Bettman, esquire.

That we can all believe in.

:naughty:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One criticism I have though. Can we stop going into a shell in the 3rd?
It's been a problem no matter if Babcock was here or Keefe is here.
Apparently this criticism isn't fair because we won and Muzzin got injured. Just ignoring its place in the overall pattern of this team.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Yup, fully agree.

Pointing it out is essential. Using it as a crutch to explain away any failings, we probably should frown on that.

Although I must I really like the conspiracy theories that are spawned by the uneven officiating.

All that is unholy in the NHL leads back to Messr Bettman, esquire.

That we can all believe in.

:naughty:

Naw, officiating has been inconsistent for a long time. A PP just shifts the ice for a full two minutes so refs are hesitant to call it late in a game. How often do I think to myself after Leafs get two calls in a row against them, "just interfere now, they aren't going to call three in a row". I've been conditioned to accept this as the bs that's been in the game.

All I know is Leafs have some talent and now teams are going to be able to play like the '95 Devils? If the league slowly allows it and it gets as bad as the 1990's hockey, I will leave the game. It would just be boring and frustrating.

The league has to be strict on preventing players from going down, and, not calling based on the injury, but the intent (such as a Chara cross check to Gallaghers face that didn't even draw a penalty). I enjoy hard checking and the battles in the corner. I can deal with a player being tied up fairly. The stick work, the hand and body work against guys who don't have the puck, to me is insulting and unacceptable.

Reactions: MJK and Polaris1010

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
One criticism I have though. Can we stop going into a shell in the 3rd?
It's been a problem no matter if Babcock was here or Keefe is here.

One thing I noticed at the game is that it’s almost a hesitance. There are times they could easily get to pucks first, but are afraid they’ll lose it and would rather play it safe, let the Bolts get the puck and be in a safe defensive position.

Drove me nuts.

Gauthier did a good job at the end of the game when he was out. Was constantly being aggressive with his approaches.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't want to take too much away from the W, but the Leafs are not fighting through the physical challenges in a chippy game. Sorry TOR, but this will be what the playoffs are going to present. They barely got out of that game. They have no sustained cycle. Kerfoot, Tavares, etc. spent a good amount of time laying on their butts. This has to change. They cannot wait for the refs to decide their fate.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00