Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in Tampa! 4-3

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I did not understand those Nylander comments on the 3rd Tampa goal.

Nylander was hustling back. The two D man looked like they had their man. Holl showed why he really is not an NHL player.

Guess Millen was just going by reputation, lol.

Nylander was good tonight. Very good. He crashing and banging half the time when he was on the ice. Holy shat!

No way they can trade him now.

:hyper:

He also went on about Tampa’s last change advantage when the play went for several minutes without a whistle and culminated in a Tampa chance.

Im half convinced he’s barely watching the game and has Netflix going on another monitor.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
This season is going to make a man out of Sandin. He was supposed to spend the year in the minors and now he is playing a vital role in a playoff push.
The experience he is getting this year is immense. I think it’s going to be a giant step in his potential being tapped.
What a year for this kid so far.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
One criticism I have though. Can we stop going into a shell in the 3rd?
It's been a problem no matter if Babcock was here or Keefe is here.
This game kind of lacked intensity compared to Toronto - Tampa games of last year.

It was odd when the shots on goal were 10-0 in the 3rd period 12 minutes in. It did not seem like it was so lopsided.

Not really the best formula to win hockey games, but Andersen was good preserving the lead, and the Leafs win!

:nod:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
giphy.gif

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
One thing I noticed at the game is that it’s almost a hesitance. There are times they could easily get to pucks first, but are afraid they’ll lose it and would rather play it safe, let the Bolts get the puck and be in a safe defensive position.

Drove me nuts.

Gauthier did a good job at the end of the game when he was out. Was constantly being aggressive with his approaches.

Was reading some articles about the 1980s Miracle on Ice and Herb Brookes told his team when they went up 4-3 with 10 minutes left, "just keep doing what you are doing, keep pressing".

I recall the Leafs collapse against the Bruins when up 4-1. Kamarov hardly saw the ice, which made no sense to me. It drove Kamarov to the KHL after that season. Leafs now seem to fall into that trap.

Just keep playing your game. Maybe with a little less risk in the neutral zone, but accept some cycle and offensive push and the risk that comes with it. You sit back, get nervous, and expect the worst (probably in their minds after so many late losses), well, you welcome it.

Get the lead and try to run the team out of the building. Don't sit back and second guess.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lilligrin and Sandin struggled a bit.
If Muzzin is out for any stretch and they are counted on more it might be too much to ask.

Reactions: TheKule

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
One thing I noticed at the game is that it’s almost a hesitance. There are times they could easily get to pucks first, but are afraid they’ll lose it and would rather play it safe, let the Bolts get the puck and be in a safe defensive position.

Drove me nuts.

Gauthier did a good job at the end of the game when he was out. Was constantly being aggressive with his approaches.
Been that way for a while, especially under Babcock. They stop their feet and it absolutely destroys them. The more they try to defend the worse it is

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lilligrin and Sandin struggled a bit.
If Muzzin is out for any stretch and they are counted on more it might be too much to ask.
I mean, you have to essentially make Dermott-Holl the shut down pair. But, what alarms me most is downloading tough usage on to Barrie. He's a very specific type of player who clearly needs a certain type of usage. Giving him D-zone starts where he's expected to propel the 3rd line or match-up again a Stamkos-Kucherov line is horrifying.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean, you have to essentially make Dermott-Holl the shut down pair. But, what alarms me most is downloading tough usage on to Barrie. He's a very specific type of player who clearly needs a certain type of usage. Giving him D-zone starts where he's expected to propel the 3rd line or match-up again a Stamkos-Kucherov line is horrifying.
Agreed. Hope they don’t regret not adding some depth yesterday.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He had to take those minutes last time Muzzin and Rielly were out. We did very well during that stretch.

Barrie can have defensive lapses, largely from stretch passes being picked off in the neutral zone, but this act like he’s a useless player is ridiculous.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He had to take those minutes last time Muzzin and Rielly were out. We did very well during that stretch.

Barrie can have defensive lapses, largely from stretch passes being picked off in the neutral zone, but this act like he’s a useless player is ridiculous.
Barrie is a limited player with a very specific skill set that is valuable but needs to be used in a certain way to be effective. I didn't call him useless but giving him tough usage and d-zone starts heavily is not going to lead to much.

I don't see how we did "very well" during that stretch you reference. We beat down a bottom-tier New Jersey team, lost in a shoot out to Calgary, and got stomped out by Chicago. He also didn't get that tough usage. We avoided matching him up against Kane and Gaudreau as much as possible. Even against Jersey who has no serious offensive threat, he was primarily put against Zajac. He also started in the offensive zone most of the time outside of one game which was below 50%, where not a single defender started in the offensive zone over 50%.

His defensive lapses often happen due to bad positioning, being outmuscled (mainly not strong enough) to win battles, or over aggressiveness leaving the defensive zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Panthers win. Seems like almost everything comes down to Thursday. Hope the Leafs show up.

I wouldn’t say everything. But a W gives us some breathing space while a lose puts us back into the thick of it.

I’ll bet on it going to OT

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm still laughing that the refs had the audacity to call Shattenkirk on a high stick and slash within a second but then just let everything go in the third. Good playoff practice, I suppose.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Leafs fans were loud as f*** tonight
Anyone saying leaf fans are quiet should STFU.
Real leaf fans are loud they just don't get to see a game at the SBA.
If it wasn't for the stupid Tampa goal horn, we drowned out them Southerners in their own barn.
Go leafs go!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs fans were loud as f*ck tonight
Anyone saying leaf fans are quiet should STFU.
Real leaf fans are loud they just don't get to see a game at the SBA.
If it wasn't for the stupid Tampa goal horn, we drowned out them Southerners in their own barn.
Go leafs go!

The atmosphere was great. The Bolts do a great job.

Bolt fans are awesome to talk to as well

Reactions: Metroid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->