Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Nice to see Matthews with the one timer. Something that we rarely see from the Leafs. Many of the top goal scorers in the league rely heavily on the one timer. I'm hoping that this adds another element to Matthews game.

Reactions: willmma

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I mentioned it before but this team is ultra talented and every line has an elite motor. Just gotta keep that going.

Reactions: stickty111

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah.....wanting to keep Kapanen, the play killer. He's so useless right now. His next pass will be his first all preseason, and he does next to nothing with the puck when he has it.

I'd trade him before the rest of the league realizes he's a glorified 3rd/4h line tweener.

LOL. We've seen him do some amazing shit this preseason. Can't wait til there are real games to see more WTF?! scoring results run through Kappy. And it looks like Kerfoot/Mikheyev got the boost to the next level with the partner they needed, Moore. The Leafs top 3 lines are going to smash through a lot. And who knows, if Gauthier ever learns where to shoot the puck, the 4th line might be worth watching too.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think we all gotta decide as a board to shut up about contracts, about overpayments, about who did what.

This is gonna be a season to remember.

It might be the whiskey talkin, but I don’t think that’s worth missin over some bull**** that doesn’t affect the team we have right now
That wont happen and you know it. When Marner falters in a game, you know damned well that the usual ankle biters will take as many opportunities to slam him and his contract. As things settle down, it will be fun reviewing some of the juicier player predictions around here. Seems to be an annual tradition to laugh at the Marner haters. Until then, lets enjoy Tavares carrying him and his confounded puck luck.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I’m assuming you just saw the highlight of Spezza hitting the post on the wide open net and assume he had a bad game.

I am referring to his ability to be a role player. He seemed quite slow for the PK.

It's no big deal though. He's the least of our worries really.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Marner and Tavares were really good tonight(last night) but miss Hyman.
They are going to have a huge season. Wouldn't surprise me if they both surpass last years numbers.

With Nylander back, Matthews line become way more dangerous as well.

Teams are going to have a very hard time shutting down both, they may be able to focus on 1 but the other will torch them.

3rd & 4th lines actually looked pretty good too.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Teams are going to have a very hard time shutting down both, they may be able to focus on 1 but the other will torch them.

This might seem a little harsh, but Nylander being "back" really doesn't mean much.... Nylander hasn't proven to be more than a 60 point guy. We don't need "Nylander back"... we need him to take a good step forward.

Last edited:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Spezza was good, im not sure what the dislike was. He was fore-checking hard and taking the battles to the boards. Made some smart plays and meshed well with his line. His role on this team is exactly what he did tonight and im glad we have him. It honestly gives me assurance of the 4th lines ability this season and he also instantly becomes our best faceoff man.

Good faceoff guy needed VS Boston.
Bergeron toasted us last season.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think we all gotta decide as a board to shut up about contracts, about overpayments, about who did what.

This is gonna be a season to remember.

It might be the whiskey talkin, but I don’t think that’s worth missin over some bull**** that doesn’t affect the team we have right now

:handclap:

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
This might seem a little harsh, but Nylander being "back" really doesn't mean much.... Nylander has proven to be nothing more than a 60 point guy. We don't need "Nylander back"... we need him to take a good step forward.

It's not harsh, it's just complete BS.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
That wont happen and you know it. When Marner falters in a game, you know damned well that the usual ankle biters will take as many opportunities to slam him and his contract. As things settle down, it will be fun reviewing some of the juicier player predictions around here. Seems to be an annual tradition to laugh at the Marner haters. Until then, lets enjoy Tavares carrying him and his confounded puck luck.
Marner, making fools out of his detractors for years. And fools never learn, that's for sure.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Your writing him off before he even has a chance to improve.

How did I write him off?

All I was saying was that we need him to take a step forward to be an important factor on the Matthews line. A 20 goal 60 point winger isn't much different than what Kapanen provided last year....

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
How did I write him off?

All I was saying was that we need him to take a step forward to be an important factor on the Matthews line. A 20 goal 60 point winger isn't much different than what Kapanen provided last year....

So are you comparing him to Kapanen ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hell yeah... people are so down after last season, but I look at this roster and there's no reason we can't be in the race for the president's trophy and a cup

I see it pretty much the same as a year ago. We could win the cup, absolutely. But we could also lose in the 1st round again and considering the division we're in, winning two rounds is a tall order.

We'll see what happens. This could be the year ...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I see it pretty much the same as a year ago. We could win the cup, absolutely. But we could also lose in the 1st round again and considering the division we're in, winning two rounds is a tall order.

We'll see what happens. This could be the year ...

This playoff format is just so flawed its actually embarressing.

You can essentially have TB, TOR , Bos finish with the three best records in the entire league and two of them will have to play in the first round.

A team that actually has a worse regular season can end up with a softer first round matchup and that makes no sense.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I chose not to mention him since it's still early and I've decided to give him a fresh slate this year but he needs to bring much more than he has so far.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So are you comparing him to Kapanen ?

Don't try to dodge the question. How am I writing Nylander off?

Nylander needs to take a step forward, and not just be 'back'.

I won't dodge your question though. I guess you can say I was comparing Kapanen to Nylander. If Kapanen can bring 75% of what Nylander brings, but at half the cost... don't you agree that Nylander needs to take a step forward??

Reactions: dsred and JayDog17

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This playoff format is just so flawed its actually embarressing.

You can essentially have TB, TOR , Bos finish with the three best records in the entire league and two of them will have to play in the first round.

A team that actually has a worse regular season can end up with a softer first round matchup and that makes no sense.

Yeah I've been going on about this for some time. Last I looked at the Vegas odds, TB was the cup favourite with Boston and us tied for 2nd. Just a really unfortunate situation, and the timing could hardly be worse considering that we've been waiting so long for a team that is a legit contender.

Reactions: weems

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marner, making fools out of his detractors for years. And fools never learn, that's for sure.

I think its mostly from those that think Nylander is better than what he actually is, too. They've convinced themselves that Nylander and Marner are on similar tiers, so are super critical of Marner and micro-analyzing his mistakes.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Don't try to dodge the question. How am I writing Nylander off?

Nylander needs to take a step forward, and not just be 'back'.

I won't dodge your question though. I guess you can say I was comparing Kapanen to Nylander. If Kapanen can bring 75% of what Nylander brings, but at half the cost... don't you agree that Nylander needs to take a step forward??

Wasn't dodging the question. You obviously think Nylander is better then Kapanen.

Obviously we need Nylander to play better than last year, he missed a ton of hockey and never caught up.

Why call Nylander "Nothing more then a 60 point guy" if you know he can be much better ?

Was Marner "nothing more then a 60 point guy" before last season ?

Seems like just arguing to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad