Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Wasn't dodging the question. You obviously think Nylander is better then Kapanen.

Obviously we need Nylander to play better than last year, he missed a ton of hockey and never caught up.

Why call Nylander "Nothing more then a 60 point guy" if you know he can be much better ?

Was Marner "nothing more then a 60 point guy" before last season ?

Seems like just arguing to argue.

Ahh, I see the confusion now. I meant to say that he hasn't proven to be more than a 60 point guy (forgot the n't).

Also, Marner was more than a 60 point guy before last season, so that would be a blatantly false statement....

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah I've been going on about this for some time. Last I looked at the Vegas odds, TB was the cup favourite with Boston and us tied for 2nd. Just a really unfortunate situation, and the timing could hardly be worse considering that we've been waiting so long for a team that is a legit contender.

It's just so stupid.

It could essentially look like this...

I'll go by Vegas projected point totals.

1.) TB 108.5
2.) TOR 102.5
3.) Vegas 101.5
4.) BOS 100.5

The top point projection from a team in the Metro is WAS with 97.5

So in a simulation, if those projected point totals held up, not only would WAS end up with a better first round matchup but so would the teams who finish 2nd and 3rd in the division.

Metro

WAS 97.5
CAR 95.5
PIT 95.5

Carolina and PITT could end the season with 7 less points then Tor or Boston and actually end up with a better first round matchup if you looked at overall standings.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Ahh, I see the confusion now. I meant to say that he hasn't proven to be more than a 60 point guy (forgot the n't).

Also, Marner was more than a 60 point guy before last season, so that would be a blatantly false statement....

Honestly, it sounds stupid but the n't makes that statement much different, also I assume I read that in a different context than you write it. That's just the limitations of text discussions though.

Your right he hasn't proven it yet, but I assume he is much more then just a 60 point guy.

I know Marner had more then 60 (69) in his 2nd year. I was just trying to prove a point, but if we want to be very picky, Nylander for his first 2 seasons was over a 60 point guy as well (61) :sarcasm:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think its mostly from those that think Nylander is better than what he actually is, too. They've convinced themselves that Nylander and Marner are on similar tiers, so are super critical of Marner and micro-analyzing his mistakes.
Yep, a lot of it is residual Marner vs Nylander debates. Move on....

Reactions: kb

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It's just so stupid.

It could essentially look like this...

I'll go by Vegas projected point totals.

1.) TB 108.5
2.) TOR 102.5
3.) Vegas 101.5
4.) BOS 100.5

The top point projection from a team in the Metro is WAS with 97.5

So in a simulation, if those projected point totals held up, not only would WAS end up with a better first round matchup but so would the teams who finish 2nd and 3rd in the division.

Metro

WAS 97.5
CAR 95.5
PIT 95.5

Carolina and PITT could end the season with 7 less points then Tor or Boston and actually end up with a better first round matchup if you looked at overall standings.

It actually goes deeper then that as well.

In your example above the Atlantic division first 2 rounds would eliminate 2 of the 3 top point teams in the league. Similar to last season.

The playoffs may actually be easier for teams now, some of the best teams are being eliminated in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Reactions: weems

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Poulin on highlighting the camera angle of Marner's pass to Matthews. It really was a great angle to articulate the incredible vision of Marner to thread that needle, looked even more impressive when you see it from his perspective.

Reactions: Nooodles

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I chose not to mention him since it's still early and I've decided to give him a fresh slate this year but he needs to bring much more than he has so far.
A very valid assessment. He looks like he's trying to slow the game down too much and is overthinking things. More urgency is required, and he needs to play more with instinct

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's like Bizarro World when I read criticism of Spezza's performance. I think he looks really good for a 4th liner making league minimum. What more do you want? Probably the best Leafs' 4th liner since Boyd Devereaux on that night in April 2009.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Poulin on highlighting the camera angle of Marner's pass to Matthews. It really was a great angle to articulate the incredible vision of Marner to thread that needle, looked even more impressive when you see it from his perspective.

But...but he doesnt score.
Goals count more than assists!!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: DarkKnight

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Another 3 nil whitewash of Habs. That is 2 in a row one win by Marlies and one by Leafs. Missed both games but great to see us shut them down completely. Another solid defensive game and goaltending.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It's like Bizarro World when I read criticism of Spezza's performance. I think he looks really good for a 4th liner making league minimum. What more do you want? Probably the best Leafs' 4th liner since Boyd Devereaux on that night in April 2009.

On a nightly basis he's being outplayed by Timashov, Agostino, Moore, even Gauthier has looked good. Right now he's getting by on name and "Veteran presence".

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
On a nightly basis he's being outplayed by Timashov, Agostino, Moore, even Gauthier has looked good. Right now he's getting by on name and "Veteran presence".
He's actually done well in terms of underlying numbers but it seems like he really struggles to finish and set up plays. I don't mind him on the 4th line but he shouldn't be on the PP

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I’ve liked Spezza over Timashov and Agostino to be honest, although Agostino has been close and should make the team. Timashov Hasn’t really been a standout, not to me at least.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Even if he were being outplayed by Timashov, Moore and Gauthier, it doesn't matter as those players are on the team. It's also Bizarro World with regards to Agostino the 4 time released forward. He's a tweener at best.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's actually done well in terms of underlying numbers but it seems like he really struggles to finish and set up plays. I don't mind him on the 4th line but he shouldn't be on the PP

100% agreed about Spezza and the PP, he struggles to make even the simplest plays.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
With Nylander back, Matthews line become way more dangerous as well.

Teams are going to have a very hard time shutting down both, they may be able to focus on 1 but the other will torch them.

3rd & 4th lines actually looked pretty good too.

I hope that Nylander shoots more and goes to the net with the puck from time to time. If he decides to curl back on the half wall, look to pass to Matthew's, etc. we might be in for a few headaches.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I hope that Nylander shoots more and goes to the net with the puck from time to time. If he decides to curl back on the half wall, look to pass to Matthew's, etc. we might be in for a few headaches.

I think he has been playing well this preseason, as I posted before I will pay more attention to him for the 2 games against the Red Wings.

He shot quite a bit last year, but was trying to be too precise I think. Lots of missed nets.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Right now he's getting by on name and "Veteran presence".

If he was some unknown 20 year old lanky kid, everyone would be raving about his reach, hands and skating.

I think it's you who's unable to filter out the player Spezza used to be and is elevating the try-hard who is here to push the young-in's with upside to be their best, provide depth for the season and stabilize the Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad