Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
One thing about tonight, we completely solidified our lineup. Nobody is coming out after that domination. There’s your roster folks.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
The thing with Tima is though that he's shown out at every training camp that I can remember. Yes, there are major flaws to his game but he's often been a victim of our prospect depth. I think the reason he's getting an opportunity currently is partially due to him earning it and partially because he's always been a damn good player and now he's waiver eligible and most likely we would lose him for scraps. So why not put him into the lineup for cheap and let him run with it.

Long term, I still want us to run with Korshkov on that 4th line and potentially run another big bodied skilled forward (replace Spezza). Kerfoot and Moore seem like an excellent pairing and I feel like once Kapanen goes down to that line that blistering speed is going to be unreal. Only thing with Kappy is that for a guy with all his speed, he doesn't hustle. He's a more physically gifted version of Moore but has like 1/100th the tenacity. Wouldn't mind trading KK at some point in the next year.

Mikheyev is way too good to play that low in the lineup. I think at some point Babs has to try and slot the kid with Matthews and Willie. He seems like he's going to be big time puck protector and he's a hound on the forecheck.

Give me these lines Babs;

Mikheyev - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
AJ - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Goat - Tima
Spezza

You've been peeking over my should.:naughty:

I would start with Korshkov over Timo.

Reactions: Faltorvo

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
If the defenses were so aware of it, then why are they so consistently unable to stop it?
I mean, this was a pretty lousy Canadiens team. I'm not knocking the play. It's a good play. But I'd like to see him defer to it less. Maybe drive the net occasionally just to keep people honest.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
The thing with Tima is though that he's shown out at every training camp that I can remember. Yes, there are major flaws to his game but he's often been a victim of our prospect depth. I think the reason he's getting an opportunity currently is partially due to him earning it and partially because he's always been a damn good player and now he's waiver eligible and most likely we would lose him for scraps. So why not put him into the lineup for cheap and let him run with it.

Long term, I still want us to run with Korshkov on that 4th line and potentially run another big bodied skilled forward (replace Spezza). Kerfoot and Moore seem like an excellent pairing and I feel like once Kapanen goes down to that line that blistering speed is going to be unreal. Only thing with Kappy is that for a guy with all his speed, he doesn't hustle. He's a more physically gifted version of Moore but has like 1/100th the tenacity. Wouldn't mind trading KK at some point in the next year.

Mikheyev is way too good to play that low in the lineup. I think at some point Babs has to try and slot the kid with Matthews and Willie. He seems like he's going to be big time puck protector and he's a hound on the forecheck.

Give me these lines Babs;

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
AJ - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Goat - Tima
Spezza

Yup, I just don't think that Johnsson or Kapanen bring enough to the top two lines to really make much of a difference up there; it's always going to be about the dynamic duos of 34/88 and 91/16, so you might as well have a defensively-responsible digger up there with them.

Put Johnsson and Kapanen down with Kerfoot and you have a 3rd line that can flourish against bottom lines.

Reactions: saffronleaf

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
THe Goat should stay tethered with Spezza for now. It's working. Gauthier has been looking like a modest offensive threat this entire preseason and I think Spezza is a big reason for it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
- Marner was all kinds of fun tonight.
- Sandin and Marincin just killed all kinds of space on the rush.
- Kerfoot has looked like the better piece in the Kadri trade.
- Matthews line was pretty meek, probably because Nylander was sleep-walking through the game.
- Timashov looks like a slower Moore out there, with better passing.

Kerfoot has better speed than Kadri and moves the puck up ice very well but it's still to be seen how much we can use him in our own zone, Kadri did bring a physical element that Kerfoot doesn't possess as well

The 3rd and 4th lines looked to be pretty even in 5v5 ice time as well

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Are people seriously whining about Nylander after we just spanked the Habs?
Yeah.....wanting to keep Kapanen, the play killer. He's so useless right now. His next pass will be his first all preseason, and he does next to nothing with the puck when he has it.

I'd trade him before the rest of the league realizes he's a glorified 3rd/4h line tweener.

Last edited:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
The lineup looks slick all the way through the forwards and defense with two more of our key players still to return. The only single questionable marker we have right now is our backup. Hutch is ok but he is not what we should have.

Overall though Im super excited about this team. Mikheyev and Tima are really nice additions although Tima is probably coming out when Hyman returns. Kerfoot and Spezza impressed me in their roles and Moore is just a solid player to have all around, I think he just makes whatever line he's on better with his effort. Gauthier still has some games to sell me on his improvements, but he looks a lot more comfortable out there.

Our defense, jesus what an improvement over last year. Its at a level I didnt think was possible and I hope this isnt just a pre-season blip. Sandin is just the real damn deal, wow what a solid player he is at such a young age. Im sure he'll have some rough patches but his performance is just top end. Marincin I just can't get behind because he's burned us too many times. Even tonight as soon as i tuned in he blew his coverage twice in 4 seconds, but after that seemed better. When Dermott comes back though it better not be at the expense of Sandin.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
- Marner was all kinds of fun tonight.
- Sandin and Marincin just killed all kinds of space on the rush.
- Kerfoot has looked like the better piece in the Kadri trade.
- Matthews line was pretty meek, probably because Nylander was sleep-walking through the game.
- Timashov looks like a slower Moore out there, with better passing.

I didn't want to say it but I was thinking this tonight. If I didn't know anything about Barrie, I never would have guessed that he had nearly 60 points last season.

Timashov doesn't have the burners Moore has but he may be more agile.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yeah.....wanting to keep Kapanen, the play killer. He's so useless. His next pass will be his first all presesy, and he does next to nothing with the puck when he has it.

I'd trade him before the rest of the league realizes he's a glorified 3rd/4h line tweener.
He hasn't looked great with JT & Mitch. Can't really sugar coat it. I definitely think we should hang onto him though. We can put him with Kerfoot and Mikheyev on the 3rd line when Hyman comes back and that would be 3 really good lines to roll.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He hasn't looked great with JT & Mitch. Can't really sugar coat it. I definitely think we should hang onto him though. We can put him with Kerfoot and Mikheyev on the 3rd line when Hyman comes back and that would be 3 really good lines to roll.
I think he's probably better off on the 3td line. But I'm worried that his production will take a significant hit.

It could be a real nice mix though....back teams off with speed.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I didn't want to say it but I was thinking this tonight. If I didn't know anything about Barrie, I never would have guessed that he had nearly 60 points last season.

Timashov doesn't have the burners Moore has but he may be more agile.
I had high expectations but maybe that's not fair to him. He's in a new conference. That's an adjustment. Different systems, etc. He's had some nice moments, but yes if we judge that deal now, Kerfoot looks better but I think Tyson takes over by the 20ish game mark of the regular season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It would be most ideal if players on longer term deals played with the big boys because the last thing this team needs to create is a 30-30 forward heading into restricted free agency in the summer of 2020. Remember that Kapanen is defensively responsible and that alone has a positive impact on whatever pair he's skating with.

Reactions: TopCheese

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think he's probably better off on the 3td line. But I'm worried that his production will take a significant hit.

It could be a real nice mix though....back teams off with speed.
Yeah well it definitely will but with the tools Kerfoot and Mikheyev potentially bring having a Kappy-type on that line might be best for all of them. Kappy's lack of vision really hurts him on the top two lines. His shot is also meh. He has great speed and is defensively responsible. A good weapon to have on a 3rd line.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
not liking aj on the AM - WN line.

not liking kappy on the JT - MM line.

kerfoot looks great.

barrie still a bit rusty.

marner looked brilliant out there.

go with:

Moore - JT - Marner
AJ - Kerfoot - Kapanen
I like the looks of this.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah well it definitely will but with the tools Kerfoot and Mikheyev potentially bring having a Kappy-type on that line might be best for all of them. Kappy's lack of vision really hurts him on the top two lines. His shot is also meh. He has great speed and is defensively responsible. A good weapon to have on a 3rd line.

I'm stuck between liking Kapanen as a player and hating that he has zero chemistry with our top-6 centers.

The best thing might be to deal him and put that cap space towards re-signing a defensemen.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm stuck between liking Kapanen as a player and hating that he has zero chemistry with our top-6 centers.

The best thing might be to deal him and put that cap space towards re-signing a defensemen.
I think a few are in that boat. It would really depend on the offer though. He does some valuable things we need. I'm sure Dubas is monitoring the situation. No doubt that extra space could potentially be a Muzzin/Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad