Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Am I the only one who wants to keep JVR going forward?

And no ****ing way we trade Nylander I don't care if its the 5th pick

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Am I the only one who wants to keep JVR going forward?

And no ****ing way we trade Nylander I don't care if its the 5th pick

I'm fine with keeping JVR, unless the return is really good. Always makes sense to listen.

Nylander is not someone I look to deal for pretty much anything, I think we have a good one in him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's a little different.

They are using #5 to dump Semin yes, but if they were getting back Kessel or JVR along with pick #24, that is pretty decent. They maintain a pick in the 1st round, get a top line winger, and clear a lot of dead money. Is clearing the money enough incentive to deal pick #5? Not sure.

It still makes zero sense to me. I doubt Carolina is that desperate to retool but perhaps they are... I'm not sure.

Kessel would help them tremendously but from my point of view, the state of their franchise needs a lot more then Kessel to make them a contender, which is what you'd hope to be if you're trading your top 5 pick for Kessel essentially.

It's not just Semin and #5 for nothing though.

We would have considered moving #4 and Clarkson is we were getting a return that involved a 1st rounder and an NHL player better then Clarkson.

They're likely a budget team trying to save a dollar anywhere they can. They're faced with Semin or a buyout, either choice is a bad one for them financially. Much different scenario then a team like us with our financial power.

I'm not saying they'd do it. But I think they would absolutely listen, because the Semin contract forces them to consider anything to get rid of it.

They are a budget team, sort to speak, but not at the point where they have to get rid of Semin. They really don't have to. They have more then enough cap space and financial stability to keep a struggling Semin, who is only signed for 3 more years. Yeah they would love to find a suitor for him but I don't think they are desperate at all.

Their top 5 pick would go a long way to go with a solid up and coming prospect pool in Carolina. I just don't see where they would be interested in Kessel in this kind of deal. Plus, Kessel would very likely not want to go be traded there.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
But to use your #5 pick to get rid of Semin is beyond stupid. That would be like us using our #4 pick to trade Clarkson if he was still here.

It's really not something they will do. I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to use that pick just to get rid of a big and useless contract. Sure they are not a rich team but I don't think they are completely desperate in their of cap of salary to get rid of Semin or anyone else. They have around 14M in cap space going into the next season with zero major re-signs this off-season.

It makes zero sense to me.

Kessel alone is worth the 5th pick... not sure why this is hard for people to understand. :shakehead

He is one of the best players in the game, love him or hate him, and on a line with Staal as his Centerman, I'm sure he would produce better than with Bozak!!

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Why does Carolina even touch this with a ten foot pole? Just to get rid of Semin? Why do they have interest in Kessel?

Talk about taking up the rear... good lord.

This will never happen.

The Staals could definitely use a winger like Phil Kessel, but i agree. I don't see Carolina doing this at all.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Actually you are wrong.

3 weeks prior to babcock signing he said that his source told him that Babcock would be the leafs coach if they paid him $6M + and he was the only person who got the number and the team right.

Doesn't mean much, since Babcock was set to sign with Buffalo until the monday of that week.

How could he know something that even Babcock didn't?:laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It still makes zero sense to me. I doubt Carolina is that desperate to retool but perhaps they are... I'm not sure.

Kessel would help them tremendously but from my point of view, the state of their franchise needs a lot more then Kessel to make them a contender, which is what you'd hope to be if you're trading your top 5 pick for Kessel essentially.

I'm not sure either - without any insight into their finances, I don't know how bearable a 7M healthy scratch is to them. Remember they need to win to keep their fans interested.

Luckily for Carolina, this is one of the deeper drafts and they could get a nice player at pick 24.

If they walked away with say, Kessel and Sprong for #5 and Semin, that is good value for them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The value in the original deal seems more fair to me, this one seems heavily slanted towards Carolinas favour.

We have to be realistic. Their GM is not dumb. Deals are made when there is value going back both ways.

If I were Francis. I would insist on one of Rielly or Nylander come back. Kessel at 8x8 is no bargain. Taking Semin is not enough to give up Strome+Hanifin+Marner this draft is it? Nylander would make this deal palatable.

If I were the Leafs I would insist on Lindholm coming our way. Thus this is why I only see a 10% chance of this working. Not likely.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
JVR and something else for Semin adn 5th is another story for me , i think i'd do that

JVR and Gardiner?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kessel alone is worth the 5th pick... not sure why this is hard for people to understand. :shakehead

He is one of the best players in the game, love him or hate him, and on a line with Staal as his Centerman, I'm sure he would produce better than with Bozak!!

Technically speaking, maybe he is. I don't think he is for a team like Carolina though.

I love Kessel and he's definitely worth a lot, but I'm not sure if Carolina is a team in the position to make this kind of deal at all. Plus their needs are not about having to get someone like Kessel either.

It's hard to understand because it makes very little sense for Carolina, at least to me. I'm sure their fans feel the exact same way and we'd feel the same way if we were rumoured to trade Phaneuf and our #4 pick for a 26-28 year old top line player signed long-term and a late 1st rounder.

The Staals could definitely use a winger like Phil Kessel, but i agree. I don't see Carolina doing this at all.

I guess so but their issue is far beyond scoring and top talent. They have terrible goaltending and a pitiful defense core.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But to use your #5 pick to get rid of Semin is beyond stupid. That would be like us using our #4 pick to trade Clarkson if he was still here.

It's really not something they will do. I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to use that pick just to get rid of a big and useless contract. Sure they are not a rich team but I don't think they are completely desperate in their of cap of salary to get rid of Semin or anyone else. They have around 14M in cap space going into the next season with zero major re-signs this off-season.

It makes zero sense to me.

Trading the #5 overall for Kessel + #24 overall and able to dump ($44 mil in salary as well to offset Kessel's $56 mil contract) makes no sense?

Canes are getting Kessel for the net $$ contract difference of +$12 mil net (spread over 7 years term) to move back 19 spots in the 2015 draft from #5 to #24.

Leafs paid 2 X top 10 picks (2nd & 9th) + high 2nd (#32) for Kessel alone and you would think Kessel for #5 overall would be a possibility and yet Leafs are still tossing in another 1st (#24) and eating $44 mil in salary take back also.

Are you sure you don't mean this doesn't make any sense from a Leafs perspective?

I can see why Canes would do this, not sure why the Leafs would unless that is the best Kessel offer on the table.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wait, JVR+24th for Semin+5th?

I mean, I'd love to have the 5th overall....but not THAT much.

The OP just said Semin + 5th for any player over 23... no mention of the #24 pick. So, the deal sounded like Semin +5th for JvR for example.

I'd probably do that deal, don't want to give away more picks. Love to move Kessel for another top 10 +, and Phaneuf for a 15-20.

Edit... somehow I missed the #24 pick in the OP.. I wouldn't do that... take the pick out, yes.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The OP just said Semin + 5th for any player over 23... no mention of the #24 pick. So, the deal sounded like Semin +5th for JvR for example.

I'd probably do that deal, don't want to give away more picks. Love to move Kessel for another top 10 +, and Phaneuf for a 15-20.

they did say 24th and

did blundell not?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
JVR by himself is worth more than 5th overall. No idea why we would have to give 24 and take on Semin.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Dean Blundell also said that Mike Babcock had signed to stay in Detroit.

And Bobby Mac basically said the writing was on the wall and it was Buff or Det.

I have no idea who Dean Blundell is; but people get things wrong all the time.

Nonetheless, an interesting discussion point!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trading the #5 overall for Kessel + #24 overall and able to dump ($44 mil in salary as well to offset Kessel's $56 mil contract) makes no sense?

Canes are getting Kessel for the net $$ contract difference of +$12 mil net (spread over 7 years term) to move back 19 spots in the 2015 draft from #5 to #24.

Leafs paid 2 X top 10 picks (2nd & 9th) + high 2nd (#32) for Kessel alone and you would think Kessel for #5 overall would be a possibility and yet Leafs are still tossing in another 1st (#24) and eating $44 mil in salary take back also.

Are you sure you don't mean this doesn't make any sense from a Leafs perspective?

I can see why Canes would do this, not sure why the Leafs would unless that is the best Kessel offer on the table.

It makes no sense for them, no. Semin has a terrible contract but it's also not very long. It isn't a cap killer that is over 5 years, like Mike Richards or David Clarkson for example.

Carolina is in the midst of a rebuild and are rumoured to likely trade Eric Staal and perhaps even Jordan Staal in the short-term.

I don't really know why the price the Leafs paid for a top and blue chip young player has anything to do with the his value now or what the Canes should be willing to pay. Carolina does not need a player like Kessel either. They need goaltender and a lot of capable defenders.

So while they would love to trade Semin and get rid of him, I don't think they are going to package him with their top 5 pick to be able to get a great player in Kessel. You can ask their fans how great this would be though and I'd love to see how they respond.

The Leafs probably do this because they are actually rebuilding and getting another top 5 pick to rebuild their core would go a long way and getting Semin as a stop gap or a project would be just fine for us. His contract isn't long that it wouldn't disrupt the cap in the long run either.

As my last comment on this rumour, it makes little sense at their current state of their team and little sense in the future. It does not fix their current team either.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

It doesn't make sense from either side, quite frankly.

It seems like a half baked attempt to drum up attention on a slow news day, which it inevitably has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad