Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Eric Staal is only signed for one more season. I'm 100% confident that he'd waive his NTC to go to a contender this upcoming season as a rental. Cam Ward also only has 1 more season to go.

Carolina has ~40M in cap space in the off-season of 2016. That's a crap ton of flexibility. They really have zero pressing need to get rid of Semin.

I'm not saying Semin isn't dead weight. All I'm saying is that they aren't desperate to get rid of him with their #5 pick for some one like Kessel. If they are going to do something like that to try and compete ASAP, they will likely go after a younger top end asset and likely a top end defender. That's it, that's all.

maybe they want to take a run at Stamkos...

but, for this year, they cant really tear it down, no matter how bad things get, which may be best for them anyways.

Staal will likely resign too, dont see any of them leaving, ever.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seriously? Why were they playing together?

Tournament in Montreal, Vaughan Kings. Nylanders dad offered him to a few GTHL Teams over Christmas that year, Kings took him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's not just Semin and #5 for nothing though.

We would have considered moving #4 and Clarkson is we were getting a return that involved a 1st rounder and an NHL player better then Clarkson.

They're likely a budget team trying to save a dollar anywhere they can. They're faced with Semin or a buyout, either choice is a bad one for them financially. Much different scenario then a team like us with our financial power.

I'm not saying they'd do it. But I think they would absolutely listen, because the Semin contract forces them to consider anything to get rid of it.

Okay, we also must consider what they've already drafted. They have 20 and 22 year old Lindholm and Rask in the line-up. Some young defense there and on the way.

What happened to Kessel is an elite top X-all star in the NHL scenario?

Now that he's being dealt, he isn't?

Semin is a bad contract, for a lot of money who scored 6 goals, 19 points for how much $7 million?

All Star, Elite Winger Kessel and 24th.
Skinner and 5th., +$7 million cap dump

KTG

Mar 6, 2015
The Canes are at a very different stage then the Leafs. With the Staals in place they do not need a whole bunch of lean years. You dump Semin, grab a late 1st in a deep draft, and can grab another functional player or two from a team looking to sell, you can be competitive fast.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
The Blundell Carolina trade bit is now up! You'll find it here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

....around the 5:00 mark it starts

Hilarious how he said "This is from the same source who gave me the Babcock info and it was almost 100%"

He got the number of years and the dollar figure wrong(He said 5-7 yrs 6 per close. but wrong on both).... and Babcock himself said he didn't even know where he was going right up until the end so how could Blundell know?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
You wouldn't deal Nylander to draft Marner?

it's a lateral trade. marner might have more potential than nylander, but he nylander has already proven he can play a level higher (ahl, shl). also, nylander was often quoted as the most talented in his draft.

so no. but kessel for a 5th? sure. or kadri/phaneuf in a package deal?

jvr? not really. he was #2 in his draft year and a proven 30g power forward in his mid 20s. if the rebuild takes 4 years, he's still at the tail end of his prime. it would take more.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Have I missed some thing here - people are talking about speculation between Toronto and Carolina

Nah you havent. Dean blundell is tryin to become someone again and thinks he has some sort of in the know knowledge about hockey. Which I'm going to say is unlikely.

Also come on people, this is the draft thread not the trade thread.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
it's a lateral trade. marner might have more potential than nylander, but he nylander has already proven he can play a level higher (ahl, shl). also, nylander was often quoted as the most talented in his draft.

so no. but kessel for a 5th? sure. or kadri/phaneuf in a package deal?

jvr? not really. he was #2 in his draft year and a proven 30g power forward in his mid 20s. if the rebuild takes 4 years, he's still at the tail end of his prime. it would take more.

It may be a lateral move, or Hunter who has shown in junior to not be scared of big trades. May value it this way.

Hanifin>Marner>Nylander

All I am saying is, if Leafs want to pick 4th and 5th this draft. They may have to part with one of Rielly or Nylander.

Short of Mc-Eichel, I am certain Leafs are not parting with Rielly. Deals have to make sense. Kessel at 28 in Oct at 8x8 is not going to get you Marner or Hanifin.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That's not my take.

Carolina could really use both of Strome and Hanifin but not Marner. If ARZ picks Strome, we pick Hanifin there's a lot of incentive for CAR to move their pick.

I honestly believe that Strome was never in Leafs plan

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It may be a lateral move, or Hunter who has shown in junior to not be scared of big trades. May value it this way.

Hanifin>Marner>Nylander

All I am saying is, if Leafs want to pick 4th and 5th this draft. They may have to part with one of Rielly or Nylander.

100% never to happen. They are trading a veteran if anyone.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If Leafs deal Nylander I would believe this rumour more.

No way Carolina does this.

Only 2 players can get us #5. Rielly or Nylander.

I don't think the Leafs would deal Rielly short of Edmonton or Buffalo having temporary madness.

Funnier things happen - but honestly I do not put a lot of stock in this rumor, since it's coming out of Dean

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Semin

Whatever perceived drop off their is from Marner to Nylander is not made up by Kessel or even JVR for Semin.

Semin is a terrible player. He is a talented player. But other than points, if he is not scoring he is a major liability on a team. I do not see how he fits in with Leafs new mantra of accountability. He makes Kessel look like Toews in leadership and work ethic. That's how much baggage he is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Semin is a terrible player. He is a talented player. But other than points, if he is not scoring he is a major liability on a team. I do not see how he fits in with Leafs new mantra of accountability. He makes Kessel look like Toews in leadership and work ethic. That's how much baggage he is.

That is why I think if we're doing Carolina a big favor by providing them with a top line winger (JVR or Kessel) and a 1st (24th) for Semin and 5th. It's not as bad as it seems. Any hesitation in taking JVR for 5th overall for example, should disappear once you realize Semin is returning 24th overall if you wanted to break the trade down like that. This deal would require Carolina to be financially motivated to move Semin though, as he's been mostly a healthy scratch, and that is too much money to leave on the sidelines.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Funnier things happen - but honestly I do not put a lot of stock in this rumor, since it's coming out of Dean

I would love to have the 4th and 5th picks and have various options this draft.

Obviously Hanifin and Marner drafted back to back in the best draft in a decade would be very positive. Maybe Hunter is thinking the same thing. He was quoted as saying this draft is a very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad