Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the deal was this.

Kessel + Nylander for Skinner, Semin, and the 5th pick.

I may believe it more. Up to 10% chance from 0% chance.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Dean Blundell also said that Mike Babcock had signed to stay in Detroit.

Actually you are wrong.

3 weeks prior to babcock signing he said that his source told him that Babcock would be the leafs coach if they paid him $6M + and he was the only person who got the number and the team right.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd do JVR + 24 for Semin, #5

I don't see Carolina going for it personally though.

What this does do though is free up Carolina to trade Skinner for some defensive help if they choose to do so.

I'm pretty damn high on Eriksson Ek though...so i'm fine with keeping 24 and just hoping.

Not a fan of dealing Rielly or Nylander.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
I'm guessing it means our targets are Hanifin and Marner over Strome.

I think it means they want Strome and they want to draft a #1C, but they have Hannifin ranked ahead of both players.

So to ensure they get a 1C they take Marner with 5.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't get the part of this rumour that relies on Strome going 3rd overall. I might see why Carolina would rather have a player for now than another high draft pick. No doubt that Semin would be a candidate for a buy out as he suffers from the same issues that the Leafs' core seems to suffer from.

Perhaps Carolina wants Strome?

Is Blundell the guy who was canned as a DJ for being an idiot and now does sports? If so, why is he legitimate at all?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Definitely interesting but all the risk is on the Leafs side.

Semin has 3 X $7 mil remaining and was often a healthy scratch last year and Skinner has 4 years @$5.75 mil left and has previous concussion issues that has lowered his production.

If a team could have Kessel @$8 mil cap for the next 3 years verses Semin at 3 X $7 mil that would be a no brainer. Then as far and money goes Skinner @$5.75 X 4 verses Kessel @ $8 mil for the remaining 4 years of his deal.

So in terms of $$ only exchanged in contracts (no necessarily in overlapping years) it would look like this for the Canes.

Kessel @+$1mil for the next 3 (minus Semin) and Kessel +$2.25mil X 4 years (minus Skinner) = +$12 mil extra for Canes over the course of he next 7 years (AAV of +$1.7 mil per).

The way I would view the deal would be to move up from the #24 pick to #5 Leafs would toss in Kessel but also need to take Semin ($21 mil cap dump) and Skinner ($23 mil) back to offset Kessel's contract.

That #5 pick overall would have to be a home run hit just to replace Kessel's lost offense.

I think Skinner has enough value that he would need to be dropped from the deal. He could likely be dealt by Carolina elsewhere for defensive help.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Definitely interesting but all the risk is on the Leafs side.

Semin has 3 X $7 mil remaining and was often a healthy scratch last year and Skinner has 4 years @$5.75 mil left and has previous concussion issues that has lowered his production.

If a team could have Kessel @$8 mil cap for the next 3 years verses Semin at 3 X $7 mil that would be a no brainer. Then as far and money goes Skinner @$5.75 X 4 verses Kessel @ $8 mil for the remaining 4 years of his deal.

So in terms of $$ only exchanged in contracts (no necessarily in overlapping years) it would look like this for the Canes.

Kessel @+$1mil for the next 3 (minus Semin) and Kessel +$2.25mil X 4 years (minus Skinner) = +$12 mil extra for Canes over the course of he next 7 years (AAV of +$1.7 mil per).

The way I would view the deal would be to move up from the #24 pick to #5 Leafs would toss in Kessel but also need to take Semin ($21 mil cap dump) and Skinner ($23 mil) back to offset Kessel's contract.

That #5 pick overall would have to be a home run hit just to replace Kessel's lost offense.

As long as 1 of those players are healthy they can replace most of what Kessel brings.

It's an interesting deal money wise, though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would rather do this.

Kessel + Nylander for Lindholm + 5th pick + Semin($ dump)

Skinner's concussion history makes him a tough player to accept for return.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010

Is Blundell the guy who was canned as a DJ for being an idiot and now does sports? If so, why is he legitimate at all?

Is this a message board that is for talking about possible scenarios?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Of course I think these rumors are just wishful thinking, but it's fun to consider theoretical possibilities. Leaving this one with 4+5 in the first round would be a massive boost to the rebuild. You could get your forward and defense combo right then and there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah talking about a trial when he was on jury duty or something along those lines. I don't really buy into this at all.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Why does Carolina even touch this with a ten foot pole? Just to get rid of Semin? Why do they have interest in Kessel?

Talk about taking up the rear... good lord.

This will never happen.

Untradable Staal/Staal (refusal to waive) then add the Ward and Semin contracts and that means retool, as rebuild is pretty much impossible with a center core in place long term. ...heck, they still have Liles locked in for another year too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Untradable Staal/Staal (refusal to waive) then add the Ward and Semin contracts and that means retool, as rebuild is pretty much impossible with a center core in place long term. ...heck, they still have Liles locked in for another year too.

But to use your #5 pick to get rid of Semin is beyond stupid. That would be like us using our #4 pick to trade Clarkson if he was still here.

It's really not something they will do. I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to use that pick just to get rid of a big and useless contract. Sure they are not a rich team but I don't think they are completely desperate in their of cap of salary to get rid of Semin or anyone else. They have around 14M in cap space going into the next season with zero major re-signs this off-season.

It makes zero sense to me.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
I like Blundell's show in the morning (starts 5:30AM EST) and find him hilarious....

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
But to use your #5 pick to get rid of Semin is beyond stupid. That would be like us using our #4 pick to trade Clarkson if he was still here.

It's really not something they will do. I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to use that pick just to get rid of a big and useless contract. Sure they are not a rich team but I don't think they are completely desperate in their of cap of salary to get rid of Semin or anyone else. They have around 14M in cap space going into the next season with zero major re-signs this off-season.

It's a little different.

They are using #5 to dump Semin yes, but if they were getting back Kessel or JVR along with pick #24, that is pretty decent. They maintain a pick in the 1st round, get a top line winger, and clear a lot of dead money. Is clearing the money enough incentive to deal pick #5? Not sure.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why does Carolina even touch this with a ten foot pole? Just to get rid of Semin? Why do they have interest in Kessel?

Talk about taking up the rear... good lord.

This will never happen.

I'm with you, makes very little sense for Carolina.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That's not my take.

Carolina could really use both of Strome and Hanifin but not Marner. If ARZ picks Strome, we pick Hanifin there's a lot of incentive for CAR to move their pick.

The way it's worded is that if Strome goes 3rd, the Leafs will try to acquire 5th, which leads me to believe that it has to do with who the Leafs are looking to pick up. If it said that if Strome and Hanifin went 3rd and 4th that Carolina would look to move 5th, I'd agree with you.

It's all a rumour anyway, so who really knows, you could absolutely be right. They're not mutually exclusive scenarios, either. But the reason I looked at it that way is because of the way it's worded in the OP.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Wait, JVR+24th for Semin+5th?

I mean, I'd love to have the 5th overall....but not THAT much.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It's not just Semin and #5 for nothing though.

We would have considered moving #4 and Clarkson is we were getting a return that involved a 1st rounder and an NHL player better then Clarkson.

They're likely a budget team trying to save a dollar anywhere they can. They're faced with Semin or a buyout, either choice is a bad one for them financially. Much different scenario then a team like us with our financial power.

I'm not saying they'd do it. But I think they would absolutely listen, because the Semin contract forces them to consider anything to get rid of it.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
ignoring whether its true or not

Losing the 24th and JVR is a steep price to pay....especially considering they don't have a second

i'm honestly on the fence even at the possibility of Marner and Hanifin.

I'd obviously rather Kadri but with the Hunter connection and Babcock mentioning by name i think he's getting a year.

feel like Gardiner will get another chance but he'd be a nice replacement for Sekera

id do it for Kessel without 24th, Bozak + and 24th

tough call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad