Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Breaking news:

(it comes from Dean Blundell, so maybe take it with a grain of salt)

Blundell claims he has a very good insider in the Leafs organization. He claims that everything this guy leaks to him has come true (including the Babcock hiring 3 weeks before it happened).

So, this insider claims that the Leafs are aggressively pushing for Carolina's 5th. The goal is to draft Hannifin and Marner.

Now, I was driving in traffic and didn't hear all of the details (maybe somebody else who heard it can chime in), but I heard that the deal definitely has to include Semin. Blundell then mentioned that Babcock feels he can work with Semin and can try to resurrect his career. Carolina feels that the Leafs are the only organization that can take Semin's contract and that's why they're showing interest in a trade.

I think Blundell said the deal could be something along the lines of:

Kessel
24th

Carolina's 5th
Skinner
Semin

Yes, this could be all B.S., but it's interesting nonetheless.

Damn.... I haven't felt this excited about a sporting event (draft day) in many years!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Breaking news:

Blundell claims he has a very good insider in the Leafs organization. He claims that everything this guy leaks to him has come true (including the Babcock hiring 3 weeks before it happened).

So, this insider claims that the Leafs are aggressively pushing for Carolina's 5th. The goal is to draft Hannifin and Marner.

Now, I was driving in traffic and didn't hear all of the details (maybe somebody else who heard it can chime in), but I heard that the deal definitely has to include Semin. Blundell then mentioned that Babcock feels he can work with Semin and can try to resurrect his career. Carolina feels that the Leafs are the only organization that can take Semin's contract and that's why they're showing interest in a trade.

Kessel
24th

Carolina's 5th
Skinner
Semin

Damn.... I haven't felt this excited about a sporting event (draft day) in many years!

Now that would be a blockbuster that helps and makes both teams swallow hard.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
This morning on the Dean Blundell show, Dean mentioned that he has heard a rumour that if Strome goes #3 to Arizona, that the leafs are trying to get the #5 pick off of Carolina. The deal would be #5 + Alex Semin for #24 and any roster player over the age of 23.

Which if I was Carolina I would take JVR,

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dean Blundell also said that Mike Babcock had signed to stay in Detroit.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
This morning on the Dean Blundell show, Dean mentioned that he has heard a rumour that if Strome goes #3 to Arizona, that the leafs are trying to get the #5 pick off of Carolina. The deal would be #5 + Alex Semin for #24 and any roster player over the age of 23.

Which if I was Carolina I would take JVR,

Not taking into account the legitimacy of the rumor

5th overall + Semin for 24th overall + JVR would be terrible value for the Leafs

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Breaking news:

Kessel
24th

Carolina's 5th
Skinner
Semin

Thanks for posting this!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Not sure I'd do JVR and 24 if we're taking back Semin. Maybe JVR and Pittsburgh's 2nd next year. But getting Hanifin and Marner both would be absolutely incredible.

If this is true, it looks like Strome is our 3rd choice of the 3-5 consensus.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's seems far fetched. We could take Marner and the best goaltender in the draft with them picks and have a good day. Semin isn't wanted by any teams most likely.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't get the part of this rumour that relies on Strome going 3rd overall. I might see why Carolina would rather have a player for now than another high draft pick. No doubt that Semin would be a candidate for a buy out as he suffers from the same issues that the Leafs' core seems to suffer from.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't get the part of this rumour that relies on Strome going 3rd overall. I might see why Carolina would rather have a player for now than another high draft pick. No doubt that Semin would be a candidate for a buy out as he suffers from the same issues that the Leafs' core seems to suffer from.

I'm guessing it means our targets are Hanifin and Marner over Strome.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why does Carolina even touch this with a ten foot pole? Just to get rid of Semin? Why do they have interest in Kessel?

Talk about taking up the rear... good lord.

This will never happen.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

It means Leafs would be targeting Hanifin and Marner/Barzal. Of the consensus 3-5, Strome would be at the bottom of their wish-list. Should Arizona take Hanifin or Marner, we wouldn't move heaven and earth to acquire the 5th anymore, because Strome's not the guy we want to add.

If the rumour is true, of course.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm sure this is probably recognizable as cap circumvention but what if it isn't:

Leafs take Alex Semin in trade. The Leafs give a "$20 M loan" to a Russian team that Alex Semin decides to join. Alex Semin is off the books like Kovalchuk is with New Jersey Devils.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That's seems far fetched. We could take Marner and the best goaltender in the draft with them picks and have a good day. Semin isn't wanted by any teams most likely.

We could take Marner and the best goaltender, but getting Marner and the best defenseman would be even better.

And no, Semin isn't wanted, but if any team is going to move a top-10 pick (let alone top-5), there's a good chance they're going to want to ship out a good chunk of salary cap, and rightfully so.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
It means Leafs would be targeting Hanifin and Marner/Barzal. Of the consensus 3-5, Strome would be at the bottom of their wish-list. Should Arizona take Hanifin or Marner, we wouldn't move heaven and earth to acquire the 5th anymore, because Strome's not the guy we want to add.

If the rumour is true, of course.

That's not my take.

Carolina could really use both of Strome and Hanifin but not Marner. If ARZ picks Strome, we pick Hanifin there's a lot of incentive for CAR to move their pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The only way I can see The Leafs getting #5 or any top 10 pick this draft is dealing one of Rielly or Nylander as part of a return.

Not sure of the Carolina rumour. Plus it is Bludell not Dreger or Ward.

Would this board deal Nylander for a chance to pick Marner? This is more realistic. Rielly is not going to be dealt unless Buffalo or Edmonton have a brain lock.

APV

Sep 28, 2009

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Leafs deal Nylander I would believe this rumour more.

No way Carolina does this.

Only 2 players can get us #5. Rielly or Nylander.

I don't think the Leafs would deal Rielly short of Edmonton or Buffalo having temporary madness.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Dean Blundell probably has less inside information than posters on this board his ratings are not good and he needs something. This is just throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now that would be a blockbuster that helps and makes both teams swallow hard.

Definitely interesting but all the risk is on the Leafs side.

Semin has 3 X $7 mil remaining and was often a healthy scratch last year and Skinner has 4 years @$5.75 mil left and has previous concussion issues that has lowered his production.

If a team could have Kessel @$8 mil cap for the next 3 years verses Semin at 3 X $7 mil that would be a no brainer. Then as far and money goes Skinner @$5.75 X 4 verses Kessel @ $8 mil for the remaining 4 years of his deal.

So in terms of $$ only exchanged in contracts (no necessarily in overlapping years) it would look like this for the Canes.

Kessel @+$1mil for the next 3 (minus Semin) and Kessel +$2.25mil X 4 years (minus Skinner) = +$12 mil extra for Canes over the course of he next 7 years (AAV of +$1.7 mil per).

The way I would view the deal would be to move up from the #24 pick to #5 Leafs would toss in Kessel but also need to take Semin ($21 mil cap dump) and Skinner ($23 mil) back to offset Kessel's contract.

That #5 pick overall would have to be a home run hit just to replace Kessel's lost offense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As a GM if I was dangled Kessel or JVR or Dion and the 24th for a 5th I would would probably do it.

I doubt that deal is Kessel though. I think it's closer to Dion / JVR / Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese