Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I have no problem taking a top top goalie prospect with a mid/late 1st rounder, but there dont seem to be any of quite that calibre in this draft, and givrn the depth of F/D available, I wouldnt take a goalie in this particular draft until the 2nd round.

Hopefully we acquire a 2nd rounder and can grab one of Blackwood, Samsonov, etc.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Only possible argument I can even think of is if they won this year, he could want a new challenge.

Keep in mind that I can probably think of 25 reason why he wouldn't want to as well :laugh:

There's a cultural factor for Stamkos too. He's Macedonian. Raising a family with parents and family nearby is important in such a culture. I know this because I come from a similar culture. We're all mama's boys at heart. :blush:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
What has happened to this thread?

Ok so who might they they target with the 5th pick? I'm thinking Provorov with Dubas out there scouting him on St. Patty's Day and the Leafs connection pursuing Kelly.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What has happened to this thread?

Ok so who might they they target with the 5th pick? I'm thinking Provorov with Dubas out there scouting him on St. Patty's Day and the Leafs connection pursuing Kelly.

If both Hanifin and Marner are available then they will go 4 and 5

Last edited:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The rumour was started by a Howard Stern wannabe.

In fact, it isn't even really a rumour -- Leafs are trying to acquire pick #5? Of course they are. They're also trying to acquire #1, #2, #3, #6, #7.... and all those other teams are trying to acquire #4. If the Leafs were thought to be maybe close to making a deal, that would be an actual rumour.

But I guess this thread is still here because nothing is going to happen until draft day and we're really desperate for stuff to talk about :laugh:

This is it in a nutshell - Being patient for a rebuild is one thing .... but I don't have the patience to wait another 23 whole days until the draft!!! :help::cry:

And the sad thing is ... after reading and watching everything there is on whom the leafs select & trade for by about June 30th - I will then begin the process all over again of waiting until next years draft!! (where I think we're going to have a lot of picks) :shakehead

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the Leafs are going to go big pre-draft... It wouldn't shock me to see us drafting at... 4, 5, 8, late teens(19?), and 24.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the Leafs are going to go big pre-draft... It wouldn't shock me to see us drafting at... 4, 5, 8, late teens(19?), and 24.

That's uh... incredibly optimistic. It's all ready very rare to see top 15 picks being traded for player(s) straight up, and you think there's a chance we get 2 top 10 and another later one without giving up any of our picks?

Yikes.

I don't think we'll get more then one 1st round and one 2nd round pick then what we currently have.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You can dream... just don't let it ruin your day or experience because you expected something very unlikely. ;)

Man, I'm old and jaded... But please, just let something good happen to my Leafs for once. I don't expect that to happen, but it wouldn't shock me either. I just get the feeling that this management group we've got means business, and they are going to go about this very quickly and decisively. I don't doubt that they wouldn't like to do this too, just finding the willing dance partners. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bozak gone too... for a couple of seconds.

So... 4,5,8,19 and 24... 19 and a second traded for 15.... Marner, Hanifin, Zacha and Werenski... wouldn't be a bad start to a rebuild. ;-) Yes, not going to happen...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If both Hanifin and Marner available then they will go 4 and 5

i would think thats what would go down. go into the rebuild with nylander, marner, rielly, and hanifin. 2 strong forwards and 2 strong defenseman and if bernier can get his **** together a starting goalie

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think we can talk to Futa(wink*) and try to work on moving the 24th pick up to the 13th pick. LA need scoring, Leafs have a few scorers on their roster they can move.

Kessel, Kadri, Lupul? LA is still in a win now mode. They need scoring.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think we can talk to Futa(wink*) and try to work on moving the 24th pick up to the 13th pick. LA need scoring, Leafs have a few scorers on their roster they can move.

Can't see LA doing a package for Kessel, and Lupul wouldn't be a main piece for 13th. That leaves Kadri. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The only thing I see there is Lupul +24 for 13th but we need to take cap back. Who would we take back?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can't see LA doing a package for Kessel, and Lupul wouldn't be a main piece for 13th. That leaves Kadri. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I was looking at possible trade partners last night to move into the mid first rd. I know it was reported Nonis was talking with Western teams at the deadline. I would bet LA was one of them.

LA have a very good defensive team, they also value corsi stats somewhat. Kadri and the 24th to move up to 13 would a great move. Kadri is a RFA too. So we kill 2 birds with one stone. That will hopefully leave us a choice of Konecny, Merkley, and a guy I have a very high regard for Connor at pick 13.

If Hunter could pull off a Hanifin/Marner/Strome and draft with one of these guys above. None of us should be unhappy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I was looking at possible trade partners last night to move into the mid first rd. I know it was reported Nonis was talking with Western teams at the deadline. I would bet LA was one of them.

LA have a very good defensive team, they also value corsi stats somewhat. Kadri and the 24th to move up to 13 would a great move. Kadri is a RFA too. So we kill 2 birds with one stone. That will hopefully leave us a choice of Konecny, Merkley, and a guy I have a very high regard for Connor at pick 13.

If Hunter could pull off a Hanifin/Marner/Strome and draft with one of these guys above. None of us should be unhappy.

Evaluation is one thing, but there's another factor here.

Great drafting is a lot about working with the pieces you have without loosing assets. If we really want to be a great drafting team, we need to be able to make #24 count rather than lose assets to move up to a safer pick.

All depending on the trade of course.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That's a gross overpayment. Kessel or Kadri should get you a top 10. If not you are shorting yourself. 24th + Kadri for 13th is horrible value.

Lupul 24th for Richards 13th perhaps makes sense but we'll be buying that sucker out soon enough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Evaluation is one thing, but there's another factor here.

Great drafting is a lot about working with the pieces you have without loosing assets. If we really want to be a great drafting team, we need to be able to make #24 count rather than lose assets to move up to a safer pick.

All depending on the trade of course.

Kadri + 24th pick for Mike Richards and the 13th pick. We pick Connor, Konecny or Merkley. Makes a lot of sense. Almost too much sense.

I am certain Hunter wants more picks, the higher the better. This team is dedicated to getting better picks, more picks, and drafting now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri + 24th pick for Mike Richards and the 13th pick. We pick Connor, Konecny or Merkley. Makes a lot of sense. Almost too much sense.

Actually it makes zero sense because Kadri has better value than that without the 24th pick. Richards is negative value.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I am certain Hunter wants more picks, higher the better. This team is dedicated to drafting now.

But he's not getting more picks. He's losing assets so he won't have to make a more difficult draft choice.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I would not do that, can't give up on Kadri so soon and then you are adding # 24 and taking back bad contract in Mike Richards

No matter what you say but Kadri was a better prospect at the time when he was drafted, so there is no guarantee that Merkley can turn into a better prospect

Kadri is still very useful in 2nd line role and I don't believe that Merkley is going to be a 1st line C

Merkley is a good prospect - but taking back Richards and giving up Kadri + 24 is too much

I am sorry, does not make any sense

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But he's not getting more picks. He's losing assets so he won't have to make a more difficult draft choice.

He's getting a higher pick. If that lands us a Merkley, Konecny or Connor. It is a small risk for a 25 year old player that has historical problems. A very small price to pay.

The goal is to build by the draft now. This is Hunter's first draft, he will want to make an impact. And the 1 of the 3 players above will make a positive impact to this team when it is ready to win.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would not do that, can't give up on Kadri so soon and then you are adding # 24 and taking back bad contract in Mike Richards

No matter what you say but Kadri was a better prospect at the time when he was drafted, so there is no guarantee that Merkley can turn into a better prospect

Kadri is still very useful in 2nd line role and I don't believe that Merkley is going to be a 1st line C

Merkley is a good prospect - but taking back Richards and giving up Kadri + 24 is too much

I am sorry, does not make any sense

I'm not surprised, Leafs fans always overrate their own slow developing prospects. I want to give Hunter as many picks, high ones if possible to re-shape this team in his image. It's a very logical trade. Maybe Babcock can revive Richards as having coached him in the Vancouver Olympics on our best line of Toews, Nash, Richards. This is a win win deal. Zero negatives to it.

Bottom line it will give us a nice choice of picking blue chip prospects Konecny, Merkley or Connor.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This thread has run its course and has derailed off into general draft/trade talk .. Take the discussion to those threads as I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese