Speculation: Leafs Trade Deadline Prediction

By Trade Deadline the Leafs will:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

It what people who don't think before they speak say. How someone can say a coach who just set a 102 year old record for the fastest Leaf team to 36 wins is out of touch with today's game or the game has passed him by blows my mind. He just set a modern record for the best Leaf team ever but the game has passed him by....

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Trade Jake and trade Zai plus for another Dman with term. That will be great
Remember they are both horrible defensemen on bad contracts or a Ufa with no value. is it even possible to make a great trade with them? For all the people that think they are worth a 5tg round pick.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Remember they are both horrible defensemen on bad contracts or a Ufa with no value. is it even possible to make a great trade with them? For all the people that think they are worth a 5tg round pick.
That’s where you are wrong. They are not horrible players or even bad players. Quite frankly, I don’t think a lot of teams can say they have 3 Dman that are better than them.
They just don’t fit into the Leafs system.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It what people who don't think before they speak say. How someone can say a coach who just set a 102 year old record for the fastest Leaf team to 36 wins is out of touch with today's game or the game has passed him by blows my mind. He just set a modern record for the best Leaf team ever but the game has passed him by....

I don’t think Babs is out of touch but he certainly have a few things that for some odd reason he is not changing.
I think all coaches have their prefer style of system and style, but not all their players can excel in their style. This is not European football where GMs can pay for the players the coaches want.... that’s why a coach needs to look at the players he has and cater a system and style that help the team achieve its goals. It is no coincidence that Leo and Martin look completely lost and could barely contribute as a Leafs but look like solid players for the Islanders. Ofcourse if the whole thing is teaching and moding the kids to play the right way and stuff then it is fine but I think the Leafs is at a point where winning is more important than development.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think we really need to do something about the 4th line badly. Originally I thought we would trade for a centre and call up grundstrum. Obviously can't happen now.

Gauthier and Lindholm together will be feasted on come playoff time. They play hard but when the best you can hope for out of the 4th line is to have some offensive zone time, you need some tweaks. Those are sometimes the lines that decide games.

And although this may sound dumb, I'd still consider trading for Wayne simmonds and rolling 4 good lines.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Nylander - Simmonds
Moore - Kadri - Brown

If we can't get another defender, we can at least come at teams with wave after wave of pressure

Last edited:

Davidos193

Feb 12, 2019
Trade Gardiner (for a first round pick or two seconds). Then get Colin Miller. RHD cost controlled Dman making 3.8$ mil for next few seasons. He was scratched last two games so he's available. Asset management.
Then in off season, trade Zaitsev before his no trade clause kicks in. Get what you can.

Reactions: TheScandal89

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
I think we really need to do something about the 4th line badly. Originally I thought we would trade for a centre and call up grundstrum. Obviously can't happen now.

Gauthier and Lindholm together will be feasted on come playoff time. They play hard but when the best you can hope for out of the 4th line is to have some offensive zone time, you need some tweaks. Those are sometimes the lines that decide games.

And although this may sound dumb, I'd still consider trading for Wayne simmonds and rolling 4 good lines.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Nylander - Simmonds
Moore - Kadri - Brown

If we can't get another defender, we can at least come at teams with wave after wave of pressure
The deeper ypu have your 4th line the less time on ice for Matthews and others... Keep that in mind . I love the line up but hard to see Kadri at what 4-5 Mil per playing 8-9 minutes not in the salary cap world sorry...

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
How so Okay couple of things to prove myself. Matthews. Over 40 forwards in the NHL play more minutes on average than this 11M player. A franchise player getting less ice time than 40 plus players at forward. Thats on the coach. He did the exact same thing last year and had to travel to Arizona to apologize and yet hes doing it again.
Leafs need top 4 d man Dubas gets top 4 d man in Muzzin but hes not what Babs wanted Babs wanted a righty d man
So his answer wasnt Muzzin playing on the 3rd pairing tonight I rest my case EGO to big all about him not the team.
Finally the leafs are easy to play against look at Phx NYR STL not better teams on paper but know the style of Babcock hockey their gonna get fed and plan a way to defend it Every coach knows that the Babcock will not change his ways and that there is no need to worry about Babcock changing up anything and when that happens leafs lose.
Play them fast ( not easy to do at leafs are fast) and play them hard on the puck the leafs turtle mostly. Babcock style hockey predictable and unchanging

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
You are comparing him to some God Awful teams... last year he had the element of surprise in the surprising expedited development of the rookies. not his doing I think it was mostly Marleau and Komorov who guided the leafs young stars to flourish Seemed like all Babcock did was try to hold back the youth. Diminshed ice time for both Marner and Matthews as an example

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
Gardiner is a top four D man by any metric you’d like to use.

Be it production, possession, usage, ect. There is literally not a single valid argument that can be made to suggest he isn’t one.
What about giveaways, or hanging out your goalie or fellow dman or joining the rush with out explantion where are those metrics

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think the leafs are going to try really hard to get Pesce or Montour, and I think Montour would be more likely.

Pesce likely costs Brown, Zaitsev (with salary retained to make the numbers work), a 2nd next year, and another forward from the Marlies. I actually hope we can give them Gauthier but they’d probably ask for Moore at minimum, maybe Bracco as well. And of course if they’re steadfast on Sandin/Liljegren/Johnsson/Kapanen, it’s a no. Pesce is at a 4.025 cap hit for 6 years (including this one).

Montour seems to be losing value in Anaheim, to the point where I wonder if we can just do a 1 for 1 with him and Zaitsev and retain a bit on him, or throw in a mid-level pick to even it up. Remember, Murray still likes the type of D that Zaitsev is, whereas he just doesn’t fit us very well. Montour is an RFA after next season, so we get 2 cup runs and a 3.3875mm cap hit, and can still sign him after.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
I think the leafs are going to try really hard to get Pesce or Montour, and I think Montour would be more likely.

Pesce likely costs Brown, Zaitsev (with salary retained to make the numbers work), a 2nd next year, and another forward from the Marlies. I actually hope we can give them Gauthier but they’d probably ask for Moore at minimum, maybe Bracco as well. And of course if they’re steadfast on Sandin/Liljegren/Johnsson/Kapanen, it’s a no. Pesce is at a 4.025 cap hit for 6 years (including this one).

Montour seems to be losing value in Anaheim, to the point where I wonder if we can just do a 1 for 1 with him and Zaitsev and retain a bit on him, or throw in a mid-level pick to even it up. Remember, Murray still likes the type of D that Zaitsev is, whereas he just doesn’t fit us very well. Montour is an RFA after next season, so we get 2 cup runs and a 3.3875mm cap hit, and can still sign him after.

CAR and Duck fans are laughing at you

Pesce won't be moved for anything less than a 25+ goal scorer.
Montour has tremendous upside, Z will probably only get worse. And Dubas wouldn't retain salary on anyone but Marleau

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You are comparing him to some God Awful teams... last year he had the element of surprise in the surprising expedited development of the rookies. not his doing I think it was mostly Marleau and Komorov who guided the leafs young stars to flourish Seemed like all Babcock did was try to hold back the youth. Diminshed ice time for both Marner and Matthews as an example

Except for none of what you said is actually what happened.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How so Okay couple of things to prove myself. Matthews. Over 40 forwards in the NHL play more minutes on average than this 11M player. A franchise player getting less ice time than 40 plus players at forward. Thats on the coach. He did the exact same thing last year and had to travel to Arizona to apologize and yet hes doing it again.
Leafs need top 4 d man Dubas gets top 4 d man in Muzzin but hes not what Babs wanted Babs wanted a righty d man
So his answer wasnt Muzzin playing on the 3rd pairing tonight I rest my case EGO to big all about him not the team.
Finally the leafs are easy to play against look at Phx NYR STL not better teams on paper but know the style of Babcock hockey their gonna get fed and plan a way to defend it Every coach knows that the Babcock will not change his ways and that there is no need to worry about Babcock changing up anything and when that happens leafs lose.
Play them fast ( not easy to do at leafs are fast) and play them hard on the puck the leafs turtle mostly. Babcock style hockey predictable and unchanging

Matthews and Muzzin - You have issues with their TOI. You're entitled to that opinion but it I don't see how it indicates "the game has passes him by"

The rest.......Play them fast and hard on the puck.

That is how teams have been winning hockey games since the beginning of time. That is not a strategy to beat the Leafs, it's a strategy to beat anyone. Now, you may have some brilliant strategy as to how to counter that, but it's likely the direction every coach gives in every pre game talk. Again, nothing to do with "the game has passes him by"

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Jake is a top 4 D but every once in awhile he plays like a minor leaguer. I wish the team could figure out why. I remember Todd Gill and Jim McKenny being like that. Maybe he keeps playing if his back is acting up instead of taking himself out of the lineup. Sore back can make quite a difference in this game.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Jake is a top 4 D but every once in awhile he plays like a minor leaguer. I wish the team could figure out why. I remember Todd Gill and Jim McKenny being like that. Maybe he keeps playing if his back is acting up instead of taking himself out of the lineup. Sore back can make quite a difference in this game.
Answer here:

tenor.gif

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Everyone wants Mathews to play more.....but he has had durability issues the first couple of years. I would like to see him more on the ice too but it will take time. Having him healthy for the rest of the year is more important than driving up ice time so he is top 10 in ice time. Who cares? I would rather see him come playoff time than a another minute and a half now.

If you knuckleheads know so much, why not submit your resume and see where it gets you. Unless someone steps up here don't think there are any Stanley Cup, World Cup and Olympic Gold posters here.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Except that he turns over the puck on his own half of the ice almost every game leading to dangerous scoring chances for the other team. He can log minutes with his great skating but his low hockey IQ and physical strength will always be a hindrance.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad