Speculation: Leafs Trade Deadline Prediction

By Trade Deadline the Leafs will:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the leafs are going to try really hard to get Pesce or Montour, and I think Montour would be more likely.

Pesce likely costs Brown, Zaitsev (with salary retained to make the numbers work), a 2nd next year, and another forward from the Marlies. I actually hope we can give them Gauthier but they’d probably ask for Moore at minimum, maybe Bracco as well. And of course if they’re steadfast on Sandin/Liljegren/Johnsson/Kapanen, it’s a no. Pesce is at a 4.025 cap hit for 6 years (including this one).

Montour seems to be losing value in Anaheim, to the point where I wonder if we can just do a 1 for 1 with him and Zaitsev and retain a bit on him, or throw in a mid-level pick to even it up. Remember, Murray still likes the type of D that Zaitsev is, whereas he just doesn’t fit us very well. Montour is an RFA after next season, so we get 2 cup runs and a 3.3875mm cap hit, and can still sign him after.

Wow... that's terrible... for Carolina and Anaheim.

Reactions: hamzarocks

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think it's likely they do minor tweaks. They made their big move in Muzzin.

Colin Miller is an interesting name that has been healthy scratched close to the deadline. He was a name of interest during the expansion frenzy. Perhaps something built around Brown, Ozhiganov (cap purposes) + picks/prospects could get a move done.

Jared Spurgeon is another team that interests me. Small, yes. But a great talent. Makes more, so the money would complicate things. They want to remain competitive so they would want talent to step in similar to the Coyle deal where they landed Donato. I'd imagine they would want someone like Kadri in return. So maybe more of a summer time deal vs. a deadline one, but it doesn't help us today which is the problem..

I think they probably bring in depth on defense and forward. Different style of players to give Babcock options (I guess?). Granted, I also don't see them moving draft picks out for pending UFA forward/defense. I imagine he probably tries to sell the likes of Ozhiganov or something (Borgman if it's a Marlie).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wouldn't trade those players for Montour

Manson, yes. I would trade Lile 1st and maybe 2nd or 3rd

Manson is exactly the type of D we need.

Manson would make me seriously think as well.

Montour would have been a nice addition and an upgrade on the right side overall but he's not what the Leafs need now really.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
My wish list for the Leafs would be:

1. Trade Brown, Gauthier and Gardiner for whatever assets you can get.
2. Use some or all of those assets and add others if need be to get a good Dman to play with Rielly
3. Promote Trevor Moore and play him with Kadri and Nylander and see what he can do with the opportunity and put Marleau on the 4th.

Having a defense of

Rielly-Good RHD
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Would actually be decent. Switch Zaitsev with Hainsey on 2nd pairing as needed.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Why give up Sandin or Lily though? Not worth it
I'd give up Liljegren and a 1st for Montour .

proven NHL RHS D man > Prospect , Liljegren looks like nice don't get me wrong but prospects are not 100% Montour fits the club right now . We are competing for a cup right now.
I would have Did Liljegren + a 1st and even another B prospect but i understand why we didn't at the same time.

I'm just high on montur and have been

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

proven NHL RHS D man > Prospect , Liljegren looks like nice don't get me wrong but prospects are not 100% Montour fits the club right now . We are competing for a cup right now.
I would have Did Liljegren + a 1st and even another B prospect but i understand why we didn't at the same time.

I wouldn't give up Liljegren. he's a much better prospect than Guhle and him and Sandin are doing historic things in the AHL for players their age.

Will likely finish #1 and 2 in PPG for their 18 year old seasons and both could make up the top pair for the Marlies heading into the playoffs. They are about as much of a lock in a defensive prospect as you can get and we basically have them on 5 year ELC's with 2 full years in the AHL.

These guys should be off the table for anybody but a Doughty or Subban level of player.

Reactions: FabledKnight

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I mean got to think the equivalent trade would have been our first and Durzi for Montour.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I wouldn't give up Liljegren. he's a much better prospect than Guhle and him and Sandin are doing historic things in the AHL for players their age.

Will likely finish #1 and 2 in PPG for their 18 year old seasons and both could make up the top pair for the Marlies heading into the playoffs. They are about as much of a lock in a defensive prospect as you can get and we basically have them on 5 year ELC's with 2 full years in the AHL.

These guys should be off the table for anybody but a Doughty or Subban level of player.
I generally agree with what you're saying... but, if Carolina said Pesce for Liljegren straight up, would you do it?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I actually think we need a Ferland type player (or two) more than we need another dman. If we’re going to go deep in the playoffs, we’re going to need some warriors to go to battle with. Just my opinion.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
That price is way cheaper then what we paid for Muzzin who is older and more expensive...hmm maybe we should have waited closer to the deadline for a better price. Muzzin would have probably been gone by now though.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
looks like tomorrow will be fun

Why give up Sandin or Lily though? Not worth it
I am an optimist: Leafs are in no trades tomorrow, nobody from the minors is traded, we keep Sandin and Lily and all draft picks, and we acquire no rentals, rather than trade any skill for toughness or be talked into something dumb I would rather Dubas get on a flight at lie in the sun

Whatever it is anybody is ever on about, remember that there are pro scouts, video, and every player in the NHL and AHL ranked on a spreadsheet and every GM may have a unique statistical model, but nobody is giving up a disproportionate share of Secret Sauce Mystery X As We Use In Our Internal Ranking System and so once you get the analytics math to make sense, you then need to get the salary cap cash to make sense, and having the calculus for those 2 different considerations make any trade possible is the hard bit

and that is why perhaps the only trades you see are stupid win - now, make the playoffs now trades, or bag of tape for bag of pucks. What the Leafs can and should do with their buckets of cash that they cannot spend anywhere, is acquire rights for KHL players and sign them as one thing the Leafs do not need to worry about is a cost overrun

Keep this in your minds: So what if we don't win the cup? So what? What are you willing to give up? Skill for toughness? You sure you are not being an idiot? You going to trade Kappanen? Nylander? Are you insane? How mush Scotch do you need to throw in with a Zietsev deal? The deal not made might be the smartest one! Maybe best to just chill, and if not in sun, to just sit!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
PROPOSAL

To FLA
2nd 2020
Lindholm
Ozhiganov
B or C Prospect

To TOR
Brassard
Sheahan

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Brassard-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Johnsson-Sheahan-Brown
Gauthier, Ennis

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Gardiner
Holl/Marincin

Andersen

Reactions: Anthrax442

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That price is way cheaper then what we paid for Muzzin who is older and more expensive...hmm maybe we should have waited closer to the deadline for a better price. Muzzin would have probably been gone by now though.
Way cheaper is a stretch, they are fairly comparable packages. Guhle is a pretty good prospect and the picks are a wash. Also, Montour has not been as good as Ducks fans had hoped; perhaps that is because of Carlyle and maybe he does better with a change of scenery but thus far he's been disappointing.

Muzzin may be older, but he's an unquestionably better defenseman, is a proven winner and a proven top pairing guy, while Montour hasn't even shown to be a reliable enough second pairing D.

The only real pluses for Montour over Muzzin are that he has potential and is a righty, and he's under control for longer due to RFA status.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

what is this misconception about the leafs? The core is 20 yrs old. What is this "going for it" now non sense? They have a 5+ yr window + prospects to keep retooling. You dont get rid of a 1st and a solid prospect for Montour lolll wtf. Lets get out of the Burke era of GMing pls

Reactions: wwgrd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->