TSN: Leafs set to interview Treliving for GM role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I mean it’s Calgary which is a really tough sell

Dealing with the media circus in Toronto with an unstable front office and no clear direction forward is a tough sell. We need someone who can make that sell.

“He tried his best and when his best wasn’t good enough he panicked and threw 10.5 at his 31 year old plan B before he ever played a game for the team” is good enough for this city now?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Treliving botched the Gaudreau re-signing.

Lost him to free agency. It was a huge black mark on his record. A big reason why he left the Flames.

What makes anyone think he will get it right this time with Matthews?
The only part he botched was not trading him a year out. Exactly what the leafs need to do with Matthews, Marner & Nylander.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Who said that?

I did. I never said paying multiple players over 10 mill is bad. But it’s about how it’s distributed throughout the team. Do we have any teams in the NHL that are paying multiple wingers over 10 million?

Reactions: geo25

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I did. I never said paying multiple players over 10 mill is bad. But it’s about how it’s distributed throughout the team. Do we have any teams in the NHL that are paying multiple wingers over 10 million?

Is paying two elite wingers in their prime 10 mil worse than paying Benn and Seguin 10 mil?

If you shifted 2 mil of Seguin’s cap hit to Robertson’s, does Dallas get worse with 2 10 mil wingers now?

Reactions: danny90 and Mitchy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Huberdeau was coming off a 115 point season. At some point you gotta get players to stay or nobody will want to come. IF Treliving comes here, I'll judge him by the deals he makes with AM and WN and our pending UFAs.
Agreed. Plenty of term and time left on those contracts. Early returns haven't been great thus far, but...

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
And i didnt even go through the prospect pool where the Flames have a great edge.

Only going to comment on this: That ranking is massive overkill. The only thing that Calgary really holds over us is Wolf's potential (which entirely rides on his ability to make it in the NHL as a 5'11" goalie) and Zary, who is probably not that much better than Minten and would easily be matched by a healthy Amirov. We have a guy who can match or exceed any other prospect in their pool and we have a lot more depth than they do.

We both have mid-tier pools, and it took them a lot more quality picks than us to get there.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Doug Wilson would be one that would be interesting. Not sure about his health and retirement though.

I am surprised Shero isn't on that short list (yet). I feel like he fits a whole lot more than Chiarelli.

Bergevin has similar track record to Treliving in that there's a lot of good but a lot of bad. He traded a big time fan favourite for an older but better player. It ended up being good for them. I think he's a legit candidate for another shot.
Yeah I think he could be among the safer choices. Some stuff near the end of his tenure was iffy but I think the organization was getting a bit desperate at their window closing. I actually prefer him to most of the other options.

By CURTIS PASHELKA | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 18, 2023 at 12:11 p.m. | UPDATED: April 19, 2023 at 4:32 a.m.
Former San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson’s health has improved to the point where he might return to the NHL in some capacity, this news organization has confirmed.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman first mentioned the possibility Tuesday on the “The Jeff Marek Show” in Canada.
Wilson, 65, stepped down as the Sharks’ GM last April to focus on his recovery from an undisclosed health issue, but also noted at the time that he wanted to continue his career in the NHL in the future.
Wilson’s health has improved in recent months and he was seen with his oldest son, Doug Jr., talking to scouts and executives at last week’s regular season game between Arizona and Seattle at Mullett Arena in Tempe. Wilson has a home in the Phoenix area and Doug Jr. works as a scout for the Kraken.
What role Wilson would potentially have and what NHL team he might join is unclear, but Friedman said he is back on the radar for some franchises.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dealing with the media circus in Toronto with an unstable front office and no clear direction forward is a tough sell. We need someone who can make that sell.

“He tried his best and when his best wasn’t good enough he panicked and threw 10.5 at his 31 year old plan B before he ever played a game for the team” is good enough for this city now?

How is our front office uny less stable then any other front office (once the GM is hired).

I think you're picking at this a lot more then a free agent player is going to. They're going to look here and see a top 5 NHL team that they think they can improve with insane talent.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
How is our front office uny less stable then any other front office (once the GM is hired).

I think you're picking at this a lot more then a free agent player is going to. They're going to look here and see a top 5 NHL team that they think they can improve with insane talent.
With a boat-load of resources and hire any additional staff you want - like Dubas did

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Our office is bloated. More people, more problems. Run the organization with less people and have less problems.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Only going to comment on this: That ranking is massive overkill. The only thing that Calgary really holds over us is Wolf's potential (which entirely rides on his ability to make it in the NHL as a 5'11" goalie) and Zary, who is probably not that much better than Minten and would easily be matched by a healthy Amirov. We have a guy who can match or exceed any other prospect in their pool and we have a lot more depth than they do.

We both have mid-tier pools, and it took them a lot more quality picks than us to get there.

Only time will tell. And it isnt a fair assessment if we only IFs in the Leafs' favor and ones against the Flames. (i.e. Amirov's health, Wolf's size)

The draft capital isnt that much different, in fact it favors the Leafs from a quantity perspective and not that far off in terms of quality.

Toronto had 35 picks from 2018 to 2022:
3 Firsts (Toronto opted to trade down last year to offload Mrazek's contract)
4 Seconds
5 Thirds
5 Fourths
16 fifths, sixths and sevenths

Calgary had 28 picks from 2018 to 2022:
3 Firsts
3 Seconds
5 Thirds
5 Fourths
12 fifths, sixths and sevenths

They had the same amount of 1sts, Leafs had more 2nds and the same amount of 3rds and 4ths. Doesnt get much more even than that.

And you cant argue the 1st being higher because they are the same;
13th overall (Coronato) vs 15th overall (Amirov)
24th overall (Zary) vs 25th overall (traded down to offload Mrazek to get Minten)
26th overall (Pelletier) vs 29th overall (Sandin)

Talking the difference of 3 spots or less.

Even the second round picks are even:
38th Overall (Minten) - I'll excuse using Minten as i used the trade down first up top

52nd Overall (Durzi) vs 45th Overall (Stromgren)
53rd Overall (Robertson) vs 50th Overall (Kuznetsov)
57th Overall (Knies) vs 59th Overall (Ronni)
59th Overall (Hirvonen) vs N/A

In two cases we are looking at 3 draft spots or less and in 1 case it is 7 spots.

So no, the Flames didnt have more quality picks, if you are objective.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's pointless arguing over GM candidates and their histories. Dubas included, each has massive red flags.

The only hope is that whoever they hire is smart enough to learn from his past failures.
This! It's a clean slate! Who cares if they had success somewhere else? They could come here and flop. The oppostie is true

Who said that?
Everyone :)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

There’s no GM, the coach is a dead man walking, MLSE is back to getting involved with on-ice decisions, the president has 2 years left on his deal and right now looks unlikely to be extended, the team itself could be anywhere from a complete rebuild to retool to business as usual over the next year, it’s unclear who’s calling the shots as to what kind of team we should be building.

If I’m signing an 8 year extension in Toronto, am I signing up for 8 years of contention playing Shanahan hockey or am I signing up for 2 years of contention and 6 years of rebuilding under a new president and ownership mandate?

Reactions: Chindis

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There’s no GM, the coach is a dead man walking, MLSE is back to getting involved with on-ice decisions, the president has 2 years left on his deal and right now looks unlikely to be extended, the team itself could be anywhere from a complete rebuild to retool to business as usual over the next year, it’s unclear who’s calling the shots as to what kind of team we should be building.

If I’m signing an 8 year extension in Toronto, am I signing up for 8 years of contention playing Shanahan hockey or am I signing up for 2 years of contention and 6 years of rebuilding under a new president and ownership mandate?
If you are Matty, 8 years of contention should pretty much be automatic. Kyper had some thoughts on Matty which were pretty much in line with what has been said on here. Says M. Tkachuk set the new standard by being honest that he had no intension of resigning in Calgary, not what Tavares and Gaudreau did before they bolted.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If you are Matty, 8 years of contention should pretty much be automatic. Kyper had some thoughts on Matty which were pretty much in line with what has been said on here. Says M. Tkachuk set the new standard by being honest that he had no intension of resigning in Calgary, not what Tavares and Gaudreau did before they bolted.

I remember at the Tavares signing, he made a point of saying how important it was to him that the Leafs went into great detail about how they’re going to build the team around him and what role(s) he’s going to play throughout the contract. This is believable when the guys telling you their plans for your 7 year deal have 5+ years left on their own contracts.

Anyone selling Matthews on an 8 year plan has their work cut out for them when the decision maker of this plan has 2 years left in charge and a very likely rebuild waiting on the other side of that 2 years if his teams continue to fail.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
someone mentioned Rick Dudley yesterday, the more I think about it the more I like it. Guy's got a great eye for talent, only downside is the rug, and I can live with that............

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
This is when ineptitude rears its ugly head.
1685131784279.gif

danny90

Nov 27, 2019

A complete rebuild? What????

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad