TSN: Leafs set to interview Treliving for GM role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
All the analytics people said schenn had good analytics. What a fail post

I think most of the pushback against Schenn was when the price being discussed was a late 1st or 2 2nds. On top of being an overpayment it would take us out of the running for a top-4 add as well. Schenn as a cherry on top is fine, Schenn as your entire deadline on D is a problem.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here are some interesting quotes from Toronto Maple Leafs GM candidate Brad Treliving after he was hired as the Calgary Flames new GM back in April 2014:

April 28, 2014

"I'm a big believer in collaborative efforts," Treliving said. "You need good people; you need to talk to people and you need to pool information. I don't know if there's a better resource for a manager to have in this League than what I have in Brian. I'm going to be bending Brian's ear as often and more than he probably thinks I will be and it would be silly not to."

"The other reality of life is we all have bosses. That's just how it works. When I leave here and go home, I have a boss there. Her name is Julie and she scares the heck out of me a lot of nights, but that's how it works. This is not anything new and I have zero reservation on how it's going to work."

"I think the style of play, people talk about big and whatever word you want to use, I think you need to have heavy teams now," he said. "I think you have to play a heavy game. That's not just a personal preference. Turn on the TV tonight and watch the games."

"There are steps along the way. We've got to take a lot of steps but in order to be there at the end, to build a championship, you do have to have a blueprint and you look at the games that are being played now. It's hard hockey. It's heavy hockey. It's a man's game. It's a big boy's game out there right now. In order to have success, I fully believe you have to have a team that can play in those games."

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Here are some interesting quotes from Toronto Maple Leafs GM candidate Brad Treliving after he was hired as the Calgary Flames new GM back in April 2014:

April 28, 2014

"I'm a big believer in collaborative efforts," Treliving said. "You need good people; you need to talk to people and you need to pool information. I don't know if there's a better resource for a manager to have in this League than what I have in Brian. I'm going to be bending Brian's ear as often and more than he probably thinks I will be and it would be silly not to."

"The other reality of life is we all have bosses. That's just how it works. When I leave here and go home, I have a boss there. Her name is Julie and she scares the heck out of me a lot of nights, but that's how it works. This is not anything new and I have zero reservation on how it's going to work."

"I think the style of play, people talk about big and whatever word you want to use, I think you need to have heavy teams now," he said. "I think you have to play a heavy game. That's not just a personal preference. Turn on the TV tonight and watch the games."

"There are steps along the way. We've got to take a lot of steps but in order to be there at the end, to build a championship, you do have to have a blueprint and you look at the games that are being played now. It's hard hockey. It's heavy hockey. It's a man's game. It's a big boy's game out there right now. In order to have success, I fully believe you have to have a team that can play in those games."
I admit I don't know much about Treliving but I like what he is saying here....a lot.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

April 28, 2014

It’s nice that he said that a decade ago but I would imagine his actual trades and signings are more relevant to what kind of team he wants to build no?

Tkachuk, Bennet traded away and replaced with soft skill. The only size in the forward group is Lucic and a couple other 4th line plugs unless we’re counting 5’11 185 Kadri as a heavy player. Their top-6 is somehow softer than ours.

I like his work with the defense, that’s a solid group with size and all around ability. But even then, it’s just Zadorov and Andersson that play heavy, Hanifin is 6’3 the same way Holl is and Weegar is an adventure defensively.

Burke talked a big game about pugnacity and whatever, yet the move that defined his Leaf career was overpaying for Kessel. In fact the runners up are probably signing Bozak and trading for Gardiner, Lupul, and the gentle giant JVR.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
It’s nice that he said that a decade ago but I would imagine his actual trades and signings are more relevant to what kind of team he wants to build no?

Tkachuk, Bennet traded away and replaced with soft skill. The only size in the forward group is Lucic and a couple other 4th line plugs unless we’re counting 5’11 185 Kadri as a heavy player. Their top-6 is somehow softer than ours.

I like his work with the defense, that’s a solid group with size and all around ability. But even then, it’s just Zadorov and Andersson that play heavy, Hanifin is 6’3 the same way Holl is and Weegar is an adventure defensively.

Burke talked a big game about pugnacity and whatever, yet the move that defined his Leaf career was overpaying for Kessel. In fact the runners up are probably signing Bozak and trading for Gardiner, Lupul, and the gentle giant JVR.
Not a big fan of his, yet another 'in the club' re tread which seems the M.O in the NHL. Never new blood, just recycle the same names. Very vanilla GM

The one thing I will give him, is he was backed into a corner with Tkachuk and made a very good trade given the circumstances.

But as a Canucks fan, I'm happy since the leafs definitely aren't getting better with this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad