TSN: Leafs set to interview Treliving for GM role

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Someone really needs to be careful coming in here to GM.
It’s not easy to get the plot walking in at the middle of the movie and this new GM could/would be known as the guy who let core member X, walk for nothing.
I think anyone with high experience (or a comfortable role already in an organization) is going to steer clear for now.

Imagine if Treliving comes in here and Matthews/Nylander leave UFA.
Any GM is going to have risks thanks to the stacking of those NMs and the failure of the club to move forward year after year but $5M x 5 is a big carrot. And if you fail Pittsburgh or someone else will still want you if you show strong moves and some good decisions even without the success. :)

Shanahan will be the next one fired, not the new coach or GM and if Matty goes because he wants $14 x 4 that isn't on the GM, its the player. Whatever Matthews deal might be declined, its would be with President and Board approval.

I actually get the feeling the club might let itself get bent over again rather than break up the band unless Matthews flat refuses to sign an extension (and maybe not even then). Teams that have strong regular seasons think they are contenders whether they are or not and will cling desperately to the players that made them 80 game terrors. So the board will support pretty much any demand and if Matthews leaves its because he wanted to play elsewhere. As far as Willie goes, he won't be playing here in his walk year so not the same threat.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Once Matthews, Marner and Nylander are signed there won’t be a lot of room left to give any significant long term contracts to guys in their 30’s.
Well if Muzzin's career is over and we move Murray and possibly Brodie, he would have plenty of room to screw us quick lol.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bergevin and Botterill seems to be 2 that are pretty much confirmed.

Looks like Shanny mostly focusing on guys who have been GMs in the past.

A really mediocre bunch at the moment. Id hope he reaches out to Shero who I think is potentially the best available. Trevling probably the next after I guess.

Bergevin is fun from an entertainment pov. Terrifying from a hockey ops pov

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Wolf is as proven as Woll. I'll give you Andersson, but lindholm is a 2C on a contender.

Treliving had 8-9 years and he built a mediocre team with a mediocre future.

He's not a good GM.

Like i said, lindholm is not a top 15 C like matthews, mcdavid or whatever but certainly somewhere 16 to 32...For me hes in the same category than a aho, point, miller.

Wolf is younger (22) and already did more than Woll at 24. He just won back to back goalie of the years in AHL

A mediocre team... if you took expected goal last 3 season cumulated... the only team who had a best expected against than calgary is Boston Bruins. Its not really my definition of mediocre team.

Calgary had a goaltender problem, they tried to fix it with Markstrom, was working first season... if Markstrom can come back like last season or Wolf step up...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looks like Shanny mostly focusing on guys who have been GMs in the past.

A really mediocre bunch at the moment. Id hope he reaches out to Shero who I think is potentially the best available. Trevling probably the next after I guess.

Bergevin is fun from an entertainment pov. Terrifying from a hockey ops pov

Doug Wilson would be one that would be interesting. Not sure about his health and retirement though.

I am surprised Shero isn't on that short list (yet). I feel like he fits a whole lot more than Chiarelli.

Bergevin has similar track record to Treliving in that there's a lot of good but a lot of bad. He traded a big time fan favourite for an older but better player. It ended up being good for them. I think he's a legit candidate for another shot.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
100% city. Fox wanted to play in New York. Tkachuk anted to stay in Calgary long term. But he was asking for too much on an 8 year deal. Brad being a good GM told him they can’t do that because they won’t have the money to pay others and they couldn’t put a competitive team around him. (Tkachuk confirms this on his most recent appearance on spitting chicklets). Isn’t that what we want enforced here for our team?

So they couldn’t afford Tkachuk at 9.5 but have no problem paying Huberdeau 10.5 until he’s 90?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Botterill

2017-2019 drafts as he got fired June of 2020

2017 - Mittelstadt, Luukonen, Bryson
2018 - Dahlin, Samuelsson
2019 - Cozens, Johnson (prospect)

Notable Trades

Ennis, Foligno, 3rd for Scandella, Pominville, 4th

Traded Kane for 1st and 4th

Traded ROR for 1st, 2nd, Sobotka, Berglund and Tage Thompson

Acquired Skinner for Pu, 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks

Acquired Montour for a 1st and B.Guhle

Acquired Colin Miller for 2nd and 5th round picks

Acquired Joker from Chicago for Alex Nylander

Acquired Kohun for Sheary and Rodrigues

I think he did better than I initially thought when the trades were announced.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I want Kyle Dubas gone.

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

Reactions: hockeywiz542

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Like i said, lindholm is not a top 15 C like matthews, mcdavid or whatever but certainly somewhere 16 to 32...For me hes in the same category than a aho, point, miller.

Wolf is younger (22) and already did more than Woll at 24. He just won back to back goalie of the years in AHL

A mediocre team... if you took expected goal last 3 season cumulated... the only team who had a best expected against than calgary is Boston Bruins. Its not really my definition of mediocre team.

Calgary had a goaltender problem, they tried to fix it with Markstrom, was working first season... if Markstrom can come back like last season or Wolf step up...
This is your guy...seriously

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Doug Wilson would be one that would be interesting. Not sure about his health and retirement though.

I am surprised Shero isn't on that short list (yet). I feel like he fits a whole lot more than Chiarelli.

Bergevin has similar track record to Treliving in that there's a lot of good but a lot of bad. He traded a big time fan favourite for an older but better player. It ended up being good for them. I think he's a legit candidate for another shot.

I think Shero might be happy with his role in Minnesota? I think he was unfairly moved out of NJ. Most of NJ’s rebuild is thanks to him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is your guy...seriously

Are we seriously pretending like Sam Bennett wasn’t a top prospect at the time? Bennett had 91 points in 57 games and was physical, two way in the OHL. He was probably the 2nd most NHL ready prospect in that 2014 draft at the time. Bennett also went one pick AFTER DRAISAITL. What is he supposed to do? Not be happy he got a good pick lol?

So they couldn’t afford Tkachuk at 9.5 but have no problem paying Huberdeau 10.5 until he’s 90?

Tkachuk’s Calgary number wasn’t 9.5. I’m pretty sure it was closer to Matthews/Marner. Tkachuk took less to play in Florida because of that no state tax.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Are we seriously pretending like Sam Bennett wasn’t a top prospect at the time? Bennett had 91 points in 57 games and was physical, two way in the OHL. He was probably the 2nd most NHL ready prospect in that 2014 draft at the time. Bennett also went one pick AFTER DRAISAITL. What is he supposed to do? Not be happy he got a good pick lol?

Tkachuk’s Calgary number wasn’t 9.5. I’m pretty sure it was closer to Matthews/Marner. Tkachuk took less to play in Florida because of that no state tax.

9,5 M

Calgary you will pay
4 522 432 in taxes

In florida
3 475 332

Difference in taxes paid
1 047 100

So at the end the 10.5 of huberdeau is basically the same than the 9,5M of Tkachuk

Reactions: francis246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad