LeBrun: Leafs, Sabres, Discussing Ristolainen

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If the Leafs sign Muzzin that gives us Rielly, Muzzin and Sandin on the left side, making Dermott potentially expendable.

Wonder if it would be Dermott + AJ for Risto + something

Risto may have his defensive issues but he is a big boy, a notorious gym rat and apparently super intense. Could be the Leafs want to bring someone in with that fire and passion, even if he has his issues?
Buffalo doesn't need defenseman. Also unless Johnsson plays RW as well he's not a great fit here. The obvious fit is Kapanen, but I doubt you'll find too many Sabres fans that'd accept him as the centerpiece of the deal without a serious asset or assets on top. Personally if he's the best that's being offered I would just keep Risto, but I'm not Botterill.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
~18:09 --> LeBrun on the Leafs plans at the deadline, if they can flip a switch & on Sidney Crosby's play

"I will tell you that I do believe that there has been some level of communication between the Sabres and Leafs and I think that thing has been left at right now that the two teams can't make that go before Monday, that it's a Summer deal, if they even go back to it, that it would be a Summer thing for cap reasons, for all kinds of reasons."

It sounds to me like the interpretation of what LeBrun said was accurate this time.

Yeah, but it might just be the Leafs checking the possible price for Ristolainen -- like they are probably doing with a lot of D-men in the league. This just happened to be one of the price checks that made it to the media.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
They could use that 1st to get the C they need.

Miller doesn't have much value anymore, I would imagine.
I don't know what Montour would be worth but he's probably more valuable to the Sabres than what other teams would be offering.

He's painted himself into a corner regardless.
He's certainly painted himself in a corner, but that doesn't mean he has to move Ristolainen for a pick a year and half out to a division rival. I doubt you're getting too many teams that are anxious to trade a young center for a pick that far out.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
A lot of the leaf fans on here don’t like risto but I’ve thought he would be a great fit. Buffalo hates us though so don’t see it

I think some Buffalo fans hate the Leafs, but do you have any evidence that the actual organization hates the Leafs.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
It doesn’t matter if you give up six goals if you can score seven

I actually don’t hate this in the off season if we let Barrie and Ceci go. He could be useful on the power play and eat some minutes while our younger players continue to grow in a sheltered role.
Yeah your record definitely says That’s what you guys do you’re one game out of not being in the playoffs

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
lol what a dumbass post

Really bc 40million dollars tied up for 4 players isnt stupid? Because having no defenseman that can actually play defense on a team is a smart move?

Bc the maple leafs should continue to trade for defenseman such as mentioned before that still cant play defense?

Use your head. The leafs issues are because dubas is an idiot and cant construct a proper team.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
At this point, why not. He wouldn't fix our issues but he's an upgrade over what we have there now.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dubas likely trading a 4th for Risto and in a few days trade Risto for a 2nd and a 4th.

I have a hard time believing that Risto is the guy LeBrun is referring to. This is a trade the leafs can easily pull off now if they wanted. Ceci is on LTIR and if he is expected back soon then simply move Ceci and future assets for Risto.

If the salary is an issue now but not in the offseason then you think it has to be a bigger salary player.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I think some Buffalo fans hate the Leafs, but do you have any evidence that the actual organization hates the Leafs.

Ya let me just go grab my shoe box of evidence and I’ll brb.

Seriously what a garbage waste of time for you to respond that. Of course I’m talking fan rivalry.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Ya let me just go grab my shoe box of evidence and I’ll brb.

Seriously what a garbage waste of time for you to respond that. Of course I’m talking fan rivalry.

Because, frankly, what the Buffalo fanbase (or the Toronto fanbase) thinks about a deal is almost completely meaningless. What the management of the two teams thinks is very meaningful. People on these boards get way too tied up in what fanbases think.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Because, frankly, what the Buffalo fanbase (or the Toronto fanbase) thinks about a deal is almost completely meaningless. What the management of the two teams thinks is very meaningful. People on these boards get way too tied up in what fanbases think.

Never heard that one before, thanks.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They could use that 1st to get the C they need.

Miller doesn't have much value anymore, I would imagine.
I don't know what Montour would be worth but he's probably more valuable to the Sabres than what other teams would be offering.

Probably not. He's a good player, but he's an RFA this summer, and he's about to make way more money than someone playing on our 3rd pairing should---and that's where he slots in with Risto and Jokiharju on the team. Well, there or on his off side, which doesn't help anybody.

My point still stands: if Risto moves, it's in a real hockey trade. "Futures" can eat dirt.

Reactions: seagull

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Dubas likely trading a 4th for Risto and in a few days trade Risto for a 2nd and a 4th.

I have a hard time believing that Risto is the guy LeBrun is referring to. This is a trade the leafs can easily pull off now if they wanted. Ceci is on LTIR and if he is expected back soon then simply move Ceci and future assets for Risto.

If the salary is an issue now but not in the offseason then you think it has to be a bigger salary player.
That's a joke right?Ceci and future assets? Lol

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That's a joke right?Ceci and future assets? Lol

Talking strictly from a salary point of view. If the hang up is salary it can be remedied by including Ceci’s expiring.

Im not saying Risto is worthless and will get Ceci and a conditional 7th. Future assets could mean top picks and prospects.

I know Risto is going to get a great return if he is dealt, I just hope it isn’t from the Leafs. Not the type of D we need.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Burke on Sportsnet was just saying that when he was in Calgary they liked Risto based on the eye test (big, tough, good skater, etc.) but didn't make the deal because their analytics people said he was a disaster. Just shows how old school Burke is lol, that's just common knowledge for a lot of hockey fans.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The only way I see this working is if you paired him with Muzzin, because Muzzin is more defensive he could cover for Risto's mistakes

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2