LeBrun: Leafs, Sabres, Discussing Ristolainen

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
We can't shelter all of the defensively inept defenseman we've already got, Jesus Holl is on our "shutdown" pair as it is
This is what I'm alluding to. You cant just have 1 or 2 guys carrying the other 4. You need a strong top 4. A guy like Holl along with Dermott is fine as a third paring but the moment you plug them into the top 4, you're in trouble. It's scary that a kid barely old enough to buy a beer has become our 2nd most reliable defender.

Reactions: Kiwi

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
the Leafs have tons of cap space because of injuries, they could make the deal today easily.
Risto would be like a RHD version of Gardiner with a snarl, and I'd be okay with that ...there are many worse options out there (and more expensive)
...I'd rather they grabbed an up and comer on the cheap (like the Fox deal) though.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Yeah your record definitely says That’s what you guys do you’re one game out of not being in the playoffs

think of it this way, they are in the playoffs as poorly as they have been playing, and with a revolving door of injuries.
once they get on track (like most teams do after slumping, and half the team having the flu) they should be able to pull away.
all they need to do is finish in 3rd.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Why are they discussing?

Botterill: hey Kyle, how’re things? Sorry about the beat down the other night.

Dubas: yeah, sucks, out of a playoff spot now and the media is killing us. What’s new with you?

B: I know the feeling..... Trying to trade Ristolainen. His analytics suck and so does he. Trying to move him but no one will trade.

D: Yeah, that sucks. Well, let me know how it goes. Take care.

B: yep, good luck the rest of the way.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Leafs should be targeting Zadorov from Col.

Exactly why would Colorado, a playoff-team, trade Zadorov? I`d imagine they would, if they would get Nylander back, but there is no point in that. Pretty sure that futures or a 2-tier prospect wont be enough...

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
think of it this way, they are in the playoffs as poorly as they have been playing, and with a revolving door of injuries.
once they get on track (like most teams do after slumping, and half the team having the flu) they should be able to pull away.
all they need to do is finish in 3rd.
Yeah but an all around stronger team is on there ass there just not gonna give up for Toronto, I say Florida gets 3rd and Toronto battles a wildcard apot

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
We already have enough of those guys. We need a major defensive upgrade. Risto just isn't that guy. We need another Muzzin type.

I agree and I know he shoots left and has a NMC, but a guy like Niklas Hjalmarsson would do wonders for our back end. Problem is, there aren't many guys like that around that are available.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Yeah but an all around stronger team is on there ass there just not gonna give up for Toronto, I say Florida gets 3rd and Toronto battles a wildcard apot
Florida is actually worse defensively than Toronto, its been their downfall all year

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This is a dumb way to fix/build their defense unless Barrie isn't coming back next year. Then it makes sense.

Barrie is definitely not coming back

So, who is this Sergei guy? And is he quoting some other statement that LeBrun has made or is he jumping to a conclusion?

And LeBrun's original tweet says nothing about the Leafs being interested in anyone. It justs says that one of the other 30 GMs thinks he might have the answer to the Leafs' RD problem. It doesn't say anything about the Leafs being interested.

EDIT: Ah, I see in another thread that LeBrun said it on Overdrive. That's the missing piece of info in the original post.

Dregers taller but equally uninformed Russian counterpart

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wonder: is he really that bad at defending, or is it just the Buffalo effect?

275 giveaways and 115 takeaways in his career (1-2.4 ratio).

In comparison
- Muzzin has 514 giveaways and 129 takeaways (1-4 ratio)
- Rielly has 497 giveaways and 259 takeaways (1-2 ratio)
- Zadorov has 180 giveaways and 86 takeaways (1-2 ratio)
- Pietrangelo has 374 giveaways and 436 takeaways (1-0.85 ratio)

There is something to be said about the Sabre effect. Not sure though. Maybe hockey IQ is Ristolainen's issue. Lots of tools in the toolbox but can't seem to know how to use them effectively for a full season

Reactions: Archijerej

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Toronto has tons more talent, and has been playing rubbish, and will get Reilly/and Mik back next month for an extra boost.
they cant continue to play as bad as they have been for the rest of the year (or can they)

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
275 giveaways and 115 takeaways in his career (1-2.4 ratio).

In comparison
- Muzzin has 514 giveaways and 129 takeaways (1-4 ratio)
- Rielly has 497 giveaways and 259 takeaways (1-2 ratio)
- Zadorov has 180 giveaways and 86 takeaways (1-2 ratio)
- Pietrangelo has 374 giveaways and 436 takeaways (1-0.85 ratio)

There is something to be said about the Sabre effect. Not sure though. Maybe hockey IQ is Ristolainen's issue. Lots of tools in the toolbox but can't seem to know how to use them effectively for a full season

you have the ratio backwards

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad