LeBrun: Leafs, Sabres, Discussing Ristolainen

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That's difficult to answer at this time. Buffalo isn't conceding the playoff race, not by a long shot. They're looking for long-term help that can step in and help them now in the playoff race as well. An actual hockey trade. Futures, such as a draft pick or 2 or a prospect would most likely be included, but, they have addressable needs, specifically a line 2/3 center, playmaker with some scoring touch, with term on their contract. That is just 1 of 3 or 4 examples of need. Think outside of the box when it comes to Buffalo, they aren't a lottery picker just yet, and they have needs for both the here and now as well as longer term future.

The problem isn't the value you're offering, it's the need it isn't filling. I like Compher a lot, since he was a Sabres draft pick. Him plus the first plus Helleson (who I'm not familiar with) is good value.

The issue is that Risto is a core part of the Sabres. He plays the most minutes night in and night out. He also plays a key role on the powerplay by playing in front of the net. He's also the Sabres most physical player/defenseman. If he's being traded, the Sabres need an equally important player coming back. That's a 2C.

I think Colorado can offer good value for Risto, but they can't offer a 2C. Given how difficult it is to acquire a 2C, I'd rather the Sabres keep Risto than trade him for a package that doesn't immediately address a need. (The Sabres also need a 2RW, but that position is easier to fill than 2C.)
Thanks for the well-reasoned responses, much appreciated. By the sound of things it doesn't seem that this is a trade that can happen, at least not without a 3rd team being involved.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Why is this thread still open? Numerous reporters have said they don't see Toronto being interested whatsoever. "Talking about Risto" probably just means Buffalo mentioned him to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad