LeBrun: Leafs, Sabres, Discussing Ristolainen

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is a dumb way to fix/build their defense unless Barrie isn't coming back next year. Then it makes sense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
he is a prime example of poor prospect development. Despite that hes been a good offensive producing dman.
That's primarily rooted in the fact the Sabres gave him an abundance of PP time prior to this year. His 5v5 production has generally left a lot to be desired.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That's primarily rooted in the fact the Sabres gave him an abundance of PP time prior to this year. His 5v5 production has generally left a lot to be desired.
true but hes good. I would love him in mtl for he brings to his team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Risto is the last dman Leafs need Lol. They never learn.

I mean he could work if you pair him with Muzzin because then you have the offensive guy paired with the defensive guy and that tends to work but then Rielly needs a partner

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Earlier today he said this. Got more specific just now with above tweet

So, who is this Sergei guy? And is he quoting some other statement that LeBrun has made or is he jumping to a conclusion?

And LeBrun's original tweet says nothing about the Leafs being interested in anyone. It justs says that one of the other 30 GMs thinks he might have the answer to the Leafs' RD problem. It doesn't say anything about the Leafs being interested.

EDIT: Ah, I see in another thread that LeBrun said it on Overdrive. That's the missing piece of info in the original post.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ristolainen is a big, skilled, mean, and defensively deficient D man. Except for that last trait, he’d be a good pick up.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Risto is the last dman Leafs need Lol. They never learn.

Not that he is some sort of defensive stalwart, but don't people go on about how soft the D is? This would give the Leafs another physical dman next year.

Muzzin
Holl
Risto
Maybe Liljegren too based on his short showing so far.

Plus it doesn't stop the team from making other deals and a guy like Nylander going for a defensive D.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Clear dubas move, trade for another scoring dman and forget that you give up 6 goals a game
It doesn’t matter if you give up six goals if you can score seven

I actually don’t hate this in the off season if we let Barrie and Ceci go. He could be useful on the power play and eat some minutes while our younger players continue to grow in a sheltered role.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don't want the Sabres to trade Risto because I think he's undervalued, so his return will be doubly disappointing when adjusting for the "Botterill gets hosed" factor.

Leafs fans don't want Risto because he's among the worst defenseman to ever play the game.

My solution is for the Leafs to avoid Risto altogether and sign Bogosian after his contract is terminated. Everyone wins.

Marner4Life

Feb 12, 2019
I have watched him in a few games and though he was ok. He hits like a f#@king freight train. 176 hits in 60 games this year likely more then all the Leafs Dman combined minus Muzzin. I would take him for the right price!

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Not the right kind of defense-man they need. But if they are losing Ceci and Barrie this offseason, they'll have a spot for him.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Trade Kap for Risto please! I want to see the explosion on here. Hint Kerfoot or 2021 1 ain't getting Risto.

Reactions: Morrison

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kapanen + Lilly for Can'tplaydefensolainen.

I'd be very mad if they traded Liljegren. He's been good visually despite his underlying numbers.

Starting to like this Dubas fellow.

Signed,

The Boston Bruins Fanbase

Dubas will never win with some people. Doesn't matter what he does, it will always be the wrong move. What shutdown D is available out there who can play top pairing minutes on a contending team? The other complaint was the Leafs are soft. This adds more physicality and size to the backend, and he's a guy who hits.

If Barrie is dealt for some assets at the deadline, and then they replace him with Risto, I don't mind it. Team isn't any worse defensively and they add more size. Another trade can be made after to address the top pair RD.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Lebrun was on overdrive and he said that the Leafs and discussed Ristolainen.

He did say it was more likely to be an offseason deal which is odd because Toronto has almost 9 million in space due to LTIR and Buffalo has 7.3 million, cap space isn't a problem

I don't know if Risto is the guy, he would be an upgrade to the right side but he's an offensive defense man and we have that with Rielly.

I guess he could be the Barrie replacement.

I could see him working with Muzzin but then you STILL need somebody to play with Rielly.

I'm conflected, I'm not against it but I don't know if it's the righr guy.

Could be a cap tagging issue, like how the Muzzin contract isn't official.
Dumping Ceci wouldn't resolve that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not that he is some sort of defensive stalwart, but don't people go on about how soft the D is? This would give the Leafs another physical dman next year.

Muzzin
Holl
Risto
Maybe Liljegren too based on his short showing so far.

Plus it doesn't stop the team from making other deals and a guy like Nylander going for a defensive D.
When I think of Risto, I don't envision a mean player.

But the main issue is with their group's defensive lapses more than softness.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Boy, if only Buffalo flipped him for Kadri to work that #2C last year. Oh wait, according to our GM trades are hard.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad