LeBrun: Leafs, Sabres, Discussing Ristolainen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ristolainen is Phaneuf 2.0 or JJ 2.0, I don't know why Toronto would think he'd solve anything. Especially considering the cost of acquiring him would be significant.

Reactions: Morrison

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Please just be something the Leafs are putting out there to try to lower the ask on the Dman they really want. Preferably one who is a much better defender.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He'd be a good partner for Muzzin imo.

2020-2021

Rielly -
Muzzin - Ristolainen
Sandin - Liljigren

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I'd be very mad if they traded Liljegren. He's been good visually despite his underlying numbers.

Dubas will never win with some people. Doesn't matter what he does, it will always be the wrong move. What shutdown D is available out there who can play top pairing minutes on a contending team? The other complaint was the Leafs are soft. This adds more physicality and size to the backend, and he's a guy who hits.

If Barrie is dealt for some assets at the deadline, and then they replace him with Risto, I don't mind it. Team isn't any worse defensively and they add more size. Another trade can be made after to address the top pair RD.
Just having a laugh man. No biggie.

I’ll say this about Dubas, he swings for the fences. Maybe too much really.

There are a plethora of dmen in the league that can give that team exactly what they need. Hell they let Hainsey walk in the offseason. A guy like that, who you preferably don’t run the wheels off of because you have a couple more hanging around.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I mean this trade is never ever going to happen (imo). But risto isn't the worst player for the leafs. Is he going to fix their problems on D? No. Could he found a very useful role in the top four (perhaps partnered with Muzzin)? Of course.

It isn't as simply as leafs need only shut-down D and dont have any use for offensive D. With that being said, there are better options for the leafs considering needs/value. Risto ain't cheap

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This could be a situation where they have something cooking for Barrie and are looking at how they replace Barrie this year and moving forward. I see Gaudette's name in Vancouver is being floated out there. Maybe its a sorta 3 way deal. Vancouver has long wanted Barrie.
For entertainment value alone this trade has to happen. Watching the Leaf media and fans melt down over this would be epic.
Remember it is always fun to watch a train wreak just don't be on it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ristolainen is Phaneuf 2.0 or JJ 2.0, I don't know why Toronto would think he'd solve anything. Especially considering the cost of acquiring him would be significant.

How? He isn't being traded for to be the #1 D, or even the #2 D. He's be expected to likely play 2nd pairing here with Muzzin who can steady a pairing. Seems like a major reach.

Just having a laugh man. No biggie.

I’ll say this about Dubas, he swings for the fences. Maybe too much really.

There are a plethora of dmen in the league that can give that team exactly what they need. Hell they let Hainsey walk in the offseason. A guy like that, who you preferably don’t run the wheels off of because you have a couple more hanging around.

People did nothing but harp on how bad Hainsey was too. He's too old for top pairing minutes now and the bottom pair ing have not been the problem either. Not to mention he hasn't exactly been great in Ottawa either.

Kap+ Dermott?

Would literally puke.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man I hate Risto as a player and think hes a douchbag. From seeing kadri embarrass him to having him on the team and being a big piece will be bittersweet. I'd rather not trade for him as I dont see him as a big enough difference maker(hes a number 4 defender so far in his careerl

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This seems like a bad idea.

But who knows, Buffalo might trade him for a 2nd only to have someone flip him for a 1st and a 2nd a month later :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad