Speculation: Leafs Rental Forward

Which rental F would you most want the Leafs to have in the playoffs if its their only move? Pick 1:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think that this Dubas Trade Deadline is a hoax.

Perhaps it's his wish to have movement, but the real deadline in April is when we are likely going to see something.

It's not that GMs are accommodating things so TSN/Sportnet can have quality programming. It's just the power of a deadline to motivate management. Also Some teams don't quite know if they are sellers or buyers at this point.

My 2 cents.
The real deadline is too late for us, with the 2 week quarantine period tacked on. Leaves the rental available for 7 games and the playoffs. Just throwing away assets, waiting that late in the season to get production.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Foligno would be a great add come playoff time, that is guy is a shit.

Interested to see where Dubas goes with this.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The real deadline is too late for us, with the 2 week quarantine period tacked on. Leaves the rental available for 7 games and the playoffs. Just throwing away assets, waiting that late in the season to get production.
i'm more worried with the player inactive for 2 weeks than i am with missing 2 weeks of the season since the purpose is to load up for the playoffs and not the season .

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

It makes perfect sense for more than just Dubas, but it's not happening. You'd think there would a trade by now.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Staal can go pound sand. I don’t like that guy since playing Carolina. He’s a clown. Played the punk really goodyears ago. So i say he’s a punk ha.
I can’t stand the guy.
He doesn’t want to play in Canada either.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It makes perfect sense for more than just Dubas, but it's not happening. You'd think there would a trade by now.
I agree I don't think there will be one either. Teams want too much for a rental. I jokingly wrote a couple of days ago, "I told Dubas no trades"

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Staal can go pound sand. I don’t like that guy since playing Carolina. He’s a clown. Played the punk really goodyears ago. So i say he’s a punk ha.
I can’t stand the guy.
He doesn’t want to play in Canada either.

Staal is like R. Nash. Good player but takes too many games off. He would be destroyed in the media and by the fans. He knows how to turn it on when he has to.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Foligno easily for me. His Dad was/ is awesome character and good guy. The folignos are character full out. Warrior of the lot

Reactions: ToneDog

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Sorry but I hard disagree.
Kerfoot AND A 1st...not even close
Domi has less points than Kerfoot. Domi is not worth a 1st even.
Fair enough. But don’t just measure points from one 25 game stretch. Domi definitely offers more offensive production and toughness. Neither player is a difference make defensively.
If they are making the same salary, I think it is worth adding a pick in the 20’s in an uncertain draft but I understand many wouldn’t be willing.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Fair enough. But don’t just measure points from one 25 game stretch. Domi definitely offers more offensive production and toughness. Neither player is a difference make defensively.
If they are making the same salary, I think it is worth adding a pick in the 20’s in an uncertain draft but I understand many wouldn’t be willing.
I would trade Kerfoot for Domi quicker than anyone can blink. There is $1,800,000 million more that comes with Domi. If Columbus wanted to take the difference completely I’d give a 2nd and 3rd. They wouldn’t get a deal wanting a first. No first rounder when they are the ones with the big cap hit underperforming player.
Kerfoot can stay and I’m fine. I was always agreeing we will trade him because i think he actually has value. Domi isn’t the better player this year. I’m kind of thinking Torts is the problem in Columbus..... just saying
Maybe Domi pops out of his funk under Keefe?

Reactions: axlrose87

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hahahahaha stationary bikes do not simulate professional sports hahaha

But bikes keep the cardio up and leg strength up.
And 2 weeks off the ice for a professional athlete is not the end of the world. Especially when not off rehabbing an injury or sickness.

Reactions: axlrose87

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Just read the Mirtle article, says the the longer the Leafs wait the more they can add to their roster, without giving anything up on the roster because of how the cap will impact player salaries mid-way through season.

That's probably why no trade was made, and likely will not be made until next week.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
But bikes keep the cardio up and leg strength up.
And 2 weeks off the ice for a professional athlete is not the end of the world. Especially when not off rehabbing an injury or sickness.

Ren Lavoie said that players need an extra week to get their skating legs back. Attributed PLD's injury to the fact that he did not take that extra week to regain his skating legs. Kind of makes sense.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Just read the Mirtle article, says the the longer the Leafs wait the more they can add to their roster, without giving anything up on the roster because of how the cap will impact player salaries mid-way through season.

That's probably why no trade was made, and likely will not be made until next week.
Also I'm thinking teams, like Columbus, are going to wait until trade deadline day to decide if they are going to push for playoffs or sell off assets. With such a condensed schedule, there can be a lot of movement in the standings in just a few days or weeks.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Nobody mentioned in the thread gives me the feeling that they will push us over the top. We can't add players just for the hell of it. I'd almost rather play what we have for now.

Taylor Hall has 2 goals and -18 this season.
Foligno has 5 goals and 12 points.
Palmieri has 4 goals 9 assists, same as Kerfoot.
Iafallo 6 goals 12 assists.
Granland 5 goals 6 assists.
Haula 3 goals 6 assists
Eric Staal 3 goals 7 assists
Pearson 6 g 5 a
Rakell 6 and 15 but right handed like most of our roster.

Are we wanting these guys based off of their historical successes?

Reactions: Magic Man

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't like the idea of a pure rental for the cost of a high-end prospect or high pick.

I'd prefer to get some term and make a more hockey trade if that is the cost it takes to improve.

Leafs have virtually no cap space anyways, so would need to be looking a cap neutral transactions even if they're tossing in the future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't like the idea of a pure rental for the cost of a high-end prospect or high pick.

I'd prefer to get some term and make a more hockey trade if that is the cost it takes to improve.

Leafs have virtually no cap space anyways, so would need to be looking a cap neutral transactions even if they're tossing in the future.

Agreed about not wanting to move one of the teams key prospects for a 1 year rental.

Mirtle had an article on the Athletic today suggesting the Leafs could (with the right moves) essentially add a 4 million dollar player with only removing one league minimum player from the roster to the taxi squad. If they remove Kerfoot it looks like even more space is available

Reactions: BrainyBomber

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kerfoot isn't in your lineup so I'm assuming you traded him? I'm all for moving Kerfoot if the return makes sense, but did we really improve in a Kerfoot for Staal swap? We got older and slower at 3C. Also a cost controlled player for 2 more years for a rental. Not sure I see the value in this swap

I've watched Staal a couple of times this year and like I wrote it's hard to tell because Buffalo's so scrambled, but to me at least, he looks like he can still play a solid 16 mins at this level, as far as his wheels are concerned he wasn't ever known as a speedster, just as a guy who knows how, where and when to be there.

Staal is a dependable and trustworthy player who's understands what it takes and the kind of discipline the team needs toinstill in itself in order to win it all, and of course, the Leafs gain cap space going forward! The team only has Muzzin and Bogo who've been there, adding another like traveler wouldn't hurt them

Hyman is not going to go cheap and who knows who could be ready to take the 3 spot next year or if there is another option out there. Either way Kerfoot is only giving the Leafs part of what he's supposed to be doing and at his number he needs to be giving them a little more than .43PPG. Engvall may be able to handle the 3C next season, maybe Galchenyuk if he can be resurrected into an everyday player once again, Brooksie who's skating has really improved has looked good with the Marlies...anyway lot's of moving parts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad