Speculation: Leafs Rental Forward

Which rental F would you most want the Leafs to have in the playoffs if its their only move? Pick 1:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I watched Foligno's game tonight, he looked good, picked up a roughing minor but no points in 17:45, but I still like Eric Staal over him.

Foligno - Matty - Mitch
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Soup
Simmonds Engvall Spezza

Hard to judge how players are really playing in Buffalo, but Staal can still skate, seems to still see the ice and would seem to be a perfect fit for a 3rd line centre, which would free up Hyman to go back up to 1LW, hopefully Galchenyuk finds himself as a steady 20 goal type of guy

Hyman - Matty - Mitch
Mikheyev - Staal - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Boyd/ Engvall
or

Hyman - Matty - Mitch
Simmonds - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Staal - Soup
Thornton - Engvall - Spezza

something like that

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I watched Foligno's game tonight, he looked good, picked up a roughing minor but no points in 17:45, but I still like Eric Staal over him.

Foligno - Matty - Mitch
Hyman - Kerfoot - Soup
Simmonds Engvall Spezza

Hard to judge how players are really playing in Buffalo, but Staal can still skate, seems to still see the ice and would seem to be a perfect fit for a 3rd line centre, which would free up Hyman to go back up to 1LW, hopefully Galchenyuk finds himself as a steady 20 goal type of guy

Hyman - Matty - Mitch
Mikheyev - Staal - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Boyd/ Engvall
or

Hyman - Matty - Mitch
Simmonds - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Staal - Soup
Thornton - Engvall - Spezza

something like that
Kerfoot isn't in your lineup so I'm assuming you traded him? I'm all for moving Kerfoot if the return makes sense, but did we really improve in a Kerfoot for Staal swap? We got older and slower at 3C. Also a cost controlled player for 2 more years for a rental. Not sure I see the value in this swap

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
1. Haula (versatility)
2. Palmieri (how do you say no to the consistant production)
3. Iaffolo (cheapest to get yet useful)

Don’t get the obsession with foligno, the guy has said he has no interest playing for the Leafs which makes me think he’d come here and pull a plekanec (which is to say perform at maybe 70-80% and then take off back to Columbus at the first available opportunity...yeah no thanks

Reactions: aingefan

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't see what these guys bring that we don't already have.

A big 4th liner would go further on this team than any of those guys.

They did that - Kyle Clifford was basically ineffective playing 6 minutes a night. A big 2nd LWer on the other hand would be a great add IMO.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Foligno is the guy who fits our needs the most.

Iafallo would be fine it cheap. He’s a good PKer, but he’s brutal on the draw, so I’m not sure he helps that much there.

Palmieri would be fine too. Good energy guy that can play anywhere on the lineup.

Erik Haula probably fits best after Foligno. He would give us a good PKer who can actually win a faceoff.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Palmieri (50 percent)
Haula (50 percent)

Thornton Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Palmieri
Mik Haula Hyman
Spezza Boyd Simmonds

Kerfoot and Engvall traded for the cap space to get Haula and Palmieri

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Speculation: - Leafs Rental Forward
On Leafs Hour, Chris Johnston provided his latest feel for the Leafs‘ approach to the trade deadline and the targets they are inquiring about.
It is clear that getting a forward is what they want to do, and that might eat up all of the cap space. But you can’t rule out a defenseman, either. I saw Elliotte had in 31 Thoughts that he thinks they’re out on Ekholm. I keep hearing that they are still tied to Ekholm. I am certainly not going against Elliotte, but we are hearing conflicting things on that.
I don’t know if that is on the table or not, but I don’t think they can say, “We are totally done at D.” You have to make a wishlist, and then you have to be realistic about what you can get done.

LeBrun on Nick Foligno:
There are teams that have kicked tires on Nick Foligno. He is just the kind of guy you wnat to add to your top six come playoff time. For now, the message from Columbus, I am told, is that they want to make a run here. They want to try to get on a run over the next couple of weeks.
Foligno has a 10-team no-trade list. He is part of this discussion. Columbus hopes it is not a discussion, and that he stays on board and they make the playoffs. The New York Islanders and Toronto Maple Leafs are teams to watch on that front.​

Dreger on the latest with Taylor Hall:
Taylor Hall has acknowledged he is still open to his options. One of them is staying in Buffalo and signing an extension. The other being a trade negotiation. Darren Ferris, his representative, and Buffalo GM Kevyn Adams are expected to have discussions in the near future. Hall wants some stability moving forward — either with an extension with the Sabres, or navigating a trade to a team that is interested in extending him in the future.​

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Easily Foligno. When the going gets tough and space is limited in playoffs that’s they type of player you need. We have enough pure skill

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I love foligno but is anyone else concerned what a two week isolation period of sitting in a hotel room would do to a 34 year olds fitness level?

I would not even care that much, if there would be any hope you can re-sign him cheap. It gives a negotiation advantage over the other teams.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On Leafs Lunch, TSN analyst Mike Johnson provided his Leafs trade wishlist ahead of the deadline, including three rentals and one player with term.

Maple Leafs Rumours: Toronto a team to watch on Nick Foligno trade front (Pierre LeBrun)
1. Taylor Hall — He can’t score goals right now — he is infected with whatever else is going on in Buffalo — but he still drives play. He is still a fast skater. He would be here as a complementary player. Buffalo is a wealthy club that would eat half of his salary for sure. You’d have to find a way to make it work, but imagine him playing with Nylander and Tavares and the pace he could add to that lineup when he is not required to be the best guy? I think Taylor Hall would be great. The salary makes it hard, but it would be great.

2. Kyle Palmieri — Big, strong, fast, and he scored 30 goals a few years in a row. He is defensively reliable. He is a physically stout player. Playoff hockey is not going to be a problem for him. He is not bad defensively. He will fit in on your top six and won’t cost as much money. He makes $4.65 million. He might not cost as many assets as Taylor Hall as well if they don’t extend him. I’ve liked him for a while. I think he can fit seamlessly onto a lot of different teams in a lot of different roles. The Islanders will be calling for him as well, but I think he would be a really good fit with either Matthews or Tavares.

3. Alex Iafallo — He plays in LA’s top six, on their power play, on their penalty kill. He doesn’t make nearly as much money and would not cost nearly as much to get. Think of him as Zach Hyman-lite. He has a good motor an decent hands. He only makes $2.4 million — way easier to get in under the salary cap — and he’s 27 years old. He could be really attractive. LA probably wants to re-sign him as he has been good for a while there and has grown as a player. He had 17 goals and 43 points last year in 70 game — Zach Hyman-like production. He brings energy, is strong on the puck. I like him as an option.

4. Rickard Rakell — He has one more year at $3.8 million. I am thinking about Rakell if Hyman is pricing his way out of Toronto. He is playing so well that he might get $5.5 million somewhere. I think he should be in the fours and would want to pay him in the fours, but he might be able to get more elsewhere. Edmonton needs winger and has a ton of cap space. If they don’t get Nugent Hopkins done, it might be something Edmonton is interested in. They have a lot of money coming off of the books. If you don’t think you can get Hyman signed — even though you’re obviously keeping him for the playoffs this year — Rickard Rakell is really good and can play with good players. For another year at $3.8 million, he can play in your top six and score 30 playing with good players. He will cost a bit more to get because of his term.​

Reactions: SprDaVE

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I don't see Columbus moving Foligno, personally. Iafallo would be a good fit and provides a little more sandpaper and energy like Hyman, and can play in all situations.

If you're looking at strictly offense for the 2LW slot then I guess you go for Rakell or Palmieri, but I do think Iafallo would fit in well with JT and Nylander.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think that this Dubas Trade Deadline is a hoax.

Perhaps it's his wish to have movement, but the real deadline in April is when we are likely going to see something.

It's not that GMs are accommodating things so TSN/Sportnet can have quality programming. It's just the power of a deadline to motivate management. Also Some teams don't quite know if they are sellers or buyers at this point.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: Confucius

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Hall in our Top 6 would be just nasty, even if only for the remainder of the year. In order to resign him, you're going to have to trade Willy and run with Jack in goal, but regardless don't think I'd want a 9M winger with the cap makeup that we have.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hall in our Top 6 would be just nasty, even if only for the remainder of the year. In order to resign him, you're going to have to trade Willy and run with Jack in goal, but regardless don't think I'd want a 9M winger with the cap makeup that we have.
Yeah he is that sandpaper we need in the playoffs, someone to dish out those big hits.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'd like Iafallo or Foligno, either of whom can play in the top two lines. Unfortunately, neither may be available so plan B is a Haula or Palmieri. The former will likely have less suitors so the price may be less.

On a related note, I get the "all in" mentality for this season but fans should not be disappointed if Dubas doesn't make a splash. The Jackets may not be sellers, neither may the Kings, Hall ... please no, so unless another surprising name makes the Trade Bait list there aren't a lot of (any) game changer forwards out there.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I voted for Iafallo.

He'd be fun and we could let him walk. I really don't want to get a guy who we have to protect in the ED and takes dollars away from Hyman's raise. Things really spiral out of control quickly when a 2nd year is involved in the deal. Pass on Rakell and Forsberg, unless they're getting traded again in the summer.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Can there be a none of the above/not necessary option?

The team's forward group isn't perfect, but Simmonds is coming back soon and I'd rather run with him, Gally and Robertson and whatever other guys we have than go and get a rental that most likely isn't going to be doing much to help the team. And I really don't want to pay a high price in picks/prospects to try and get a good player that might make an impact.

All I want is for Dubas to bring in a good goalie so that we don't have to rely on Andersen as much and make it easier to let him walk in the offseason.

Reactions: Confucius

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Clifford would be a better fit on this roster than last year's roster.

Agreed - and why I keep saying a guy like Austin Watson, Brendan Lemieux. Good contracts, provide a bit of snarl. Both guys have more skill than Clifford.

@LeafGrief - great point on Hyman going forward - they have to keep him. I can't see him not taking a home town discount contract, being a guy that is born and bred Toronto - it's a perfect fit for him and the team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dreger on the latest with Taylor Hall:
Taylor Hall has acknowledged he is still open to his options. One of them is staying in Buffalo and signing an extension. The other being a trade negotiation. Darren Ferris, his representative, and Buffalo GM Kevyn Adams are expected to have discussions in the near future. Hall wants some stability moving forward — either with an extension with the Sabres, or navigating a trade to a team that is interested in extending him in the future.​

With the disaster that is Buffalo, I can't imagine why they would want to commit term, or dollars, to anyone over 25 at this point. They really need to rethink their entire organization, so committing much of anything to a winger, doesn't make sense right now. As far as Hall, it should be concerning that he'd rather have comfy stability, in a terrible organization, and make dollars, than go to a place with a change to win.

Reactions: Lumberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad