Speculation: Leafs next move

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
That's easy. Stay with their top 5 team that they have now, wait for a team to have offense needs and then trade for another top 4 Dman once we realize what we have. Even if they don't add until TD it doesn't change the fact this team is playoff bound. We have a lot of offensive assets, sooner or later a team with an extra top 4 vet will come calling.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
most likely a big trade to improve their D. the Tavares signing made it clear they're in win now mode.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In the meantime, next move is trading Nylander because leafs can’t afford to keep him.

This is just silly too. Why cant Leafs afford to keep 3-4 high paid guys but rest of league can afford it no problem. Teams like Pens, Blackhawks, Sharks, Tampa. So tired of hearing this

All of those teams include defensemen among those high paid players. Letang, Burns, Hedman/McDonagh... That's the difference. In order for the Leafs to find the balance any winning team requires, some of the money that is tied up in forwards will need to be moved to the back end, and as currently structured, that is complicated, that's all people are suggesting.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
All of those teams include defensemen among those high paid players. Letang, Burns, Hedman/McDonagh... That's the difference. In order for the Leafs to find the balance any winning team requires, some of the money that is tied up in forwards will need to be moved to the back end, and as currently structured, that is complicated, that's all people are suggesting.

Last I checked we have Rielly and hes inked for I believe 4 years at a great price. Again other fanbases undermining Leaf talents. If Morgan played for any other team he would be dubbed a stud

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Last I checked we have Rielly and hes inked for I believe 4 years at a great price. Again other fanbases undermining Leaf talents. If Morgan played for any other team he would be dubbed a stud

Yes, of course. Once again the Maple Leafs are a victim of a huge conspiracy.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
In the meantime, next move is trading Nylander because leafs can’t afford to keep him.

This is just silly too. Why cant Leafs afford to keep 3-4 high paid guys but rest of league can afford it no problem. Teams like Pens, Blackhawks, Sharks, Tampa. So tired of hearing this
There is one other significant difference between those teams and the Leafs, I wonder what it is..........here’s a hint, it’s not just that those teams have obviously better D corps.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Next step is to pair Rielly with a puck moving partner so he can get his Norris:nod:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Signing Nylander should be top priority. Though with the way things are going a goalie trade involving one of Pickard, Sparks, or McElhinney is more likely to happen first.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
There is one other significant difference between those teams and the Leafs, I wonder what it is..........here’s a hint, it’s not just that those teams have obviously better D corps.
Is it that if the Leafs defence is so much worse than the Pens, Blackhawks, Lightning and San Jose yet they managed to give up less goals than all but San Jose (who gave up 4 less goals) then the Andersen/McElhinney tandem must be obviously better than the other goaltending duos?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Is it that if the Leafs defence is so much worse than the Pens, Blackhawks, Lightning and San Jose yet they managed to give up less goals than all but San Jose (who gave up 4 less goals) then the Andersen/McElhinney tandem must be obviously better than the other goaltending duos?

Or maybe it's that the Leafs core players are significantly younger?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Yes, of course. Once again the Maple Leafs are a victim of a huge conspiracy.

You can make your typical snarky comments, doesn't change reality. Teams have shown defence is not the almighty key to it all... certainly not stacked defence. You need only decent defence if you have incredible forward depth. And that's right where the Leafs sit.
Filling out the right side with a small improvement through the year is plenty.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
They won't do anything until a potentially big move for a pending UFA dman at the trade deadline.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
They won't do anything until a potentially big move for a pending UFA dman at the trade deadline.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Leafs find a way to land Karlsson based around Nylander and futures. Wouldn’t it be interesting if cash ended up in Melnyks hands through a sponsorship deal?? Hmmmm. ;)

Then try to sell Matthews and Marner on sweathart deals based on a dynasty opportunity.

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
You are right, the Leafs were great during the time of World War II. Sorry, my mistake. The Leafs were great when there were 5 other teams, bruh. They’ve done nothing since the league expanded to 12 teams.

I just don’t know how fans of this team continue to post anything and everything on the main boards. They’ve been irrelevant for 50 years and haven’t won a playoff series in what, 15 years?

The fans of the other 30 teams do not care about the Leafs.

You all need to go away until you win a playoff series. Seriously. The Pirates have won the 4th most World Series. Would any Pirates fan pump their chest shouting this? No, because the team is a joke right now.

No one cares what happened in the 40’s and 60’s. NO ONE
People like you make me laugh. Are you like this outside of HF?
Don’t come into a TML thread and complain about TML fans.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Leafs find a way to land Karlsson based around Nylander and futures. Wouldn’t it be interesting if cash ended up in Melnyks hands through a sponsorship deal?? Hmmmm. ;)

Then try to sell Matthews and Marner on sweathart deals based on a dynasty opportunity.
That would be something but I can't see how Karlsson would sign for low enough to make it work.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
That would be something but I can't see how Karlsson would sign for low enough to make it work.

Cap goes up again next year and no Nylander contract. Assume 6 million for Nylander and a 4 million Cap increase is 10 million. Dump Marleau and you have 16 million. Really not that hard. Karlsson’s contract is very friendly this season.

I’m expecting it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Cap goes up again next year and no Nylander contract. Assume 6 million for Nylander and a 4 million Cap increase is 10 million. Dump Marleau and you have 16 million. Really not that hard. Karlsson’s contract is very friendly this season.

I’m expecting it.
Nylander is going to be a star but if it only costs him and a 1st for Karlsson, it's a no brainer.
Really doubt it happens though. Ottawa would be sickened to give TO the missing piece.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Nylander is going to be a star but if it only costs him and a 1st for Karlsson, it's a no brainer.
Really doubt it happens though. Ottawa would be sickened to give TO the missing piece.

Nylander might be a star but he has flaws. He floats and is soft. Not a fan.
I believe it’s the only way the Leafs can get past Tampa. The Lighning scored a league high 290 goals and have a blue line that includes Norris winner Hedman and Sergachev. Then they went ahead and added McDonough and Miller at the deadline.

It’s an arms race and they are winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00