Speculation: Leafs next move

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
let sparks/pickard/mcehlinney battle for the backup job and trade one while demoting the other

My prediction:
Sparks wins it. He is too young and talented to move on from in favor of a 35 year old. McEhlinney is traded to a team needing a vet tender for a 5th or something. Pickard is sent down and probably clears waivers (800k salary in AHL)

Leafs probably see what they have with their D. If Dermott takes the next step and/or zaitsev bounces back they might not even need to make a move. Liljegren could take the next step as well and make the jump at some point.
Hold steady and see what the options are at the deadline probably the safest bet

Mar 26, 2010
Highly highly unlikely
I would agree. Don’t see Toronto and Winnipeg as good trading partners at all.

Toronto fans... Trouba is not enough for Nylander!

Winnipeg fans... Nylander is not enough for Trouba!

It would just be a senseless pissing match with no end as we have seen.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Thought I'd ask. But I'm scared of the replies lol.

To me the next trade will involve one of our 6 goalies..more so Mcbackup, Sparky, or Pickard. I also think Leivo and or Gauthier could be added in the deal and maybe one of our good wing prospects to get a slight upgrade in the D department.

Have at it

Goalies aren’t worth virtually anything in general. Might get a late pick at most, very good chance get waived.

Signing Nylander is next thing to get done.

No other moves, will roll with current roster and review D situation throughout season until TDL.

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
Toronto next move is to upgrade their defence how they will do this is the million dollar question, only the Leafs management in the boardroom can answer this question.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

To me the next trade will involve one of our 6 goalies..more so Mcbackup, Sparky, or Pickard. I also think Leivo and or Gauthier could be added in the deal and maybe one of our good wing prospects to get a slight upgrade in the D department.

Have at it
Excellent, teams love to get a bunch of players that cant pass waivers and never really played in NHL..
Get real, Goat Leivo and the goalies no value until they pass waivers.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think their roster is nicely setup for their new annual first round exit.

No one wants Picard so stop acting like it.

And as usual, move this to the Leaf board.

Look, the Pens were a great team and you should get a few more years of playoffs out of your guys. They are HOF guys and Crosby is a legend in the game. No need to be so salty that another team has surpassed you.

My guess trade matthews... its clear the team has decided to go a diff route, by getting tavares... big 3 nylander, marner jt... matthews could bring back a solid top 4 dmen that would sure up the team.

But honestly prob chill till deadline

You are not being subtle enough, usually you are better than this with your attempts.

A soft non playoff performer? Hope he signs an 8 year deal to stay

Anything to cope with the idea of the Leafs retaining an elite talent I guess?

You’d think this was a successful organization with the number of Leafs’ threads. But uhhhh it isn’t.

Well at least we have the piece of mind in knowing our team will never fold despite being bad.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Have at it

This was already reported as happening. So how is this speculation or a prediction?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
why do people keep saying this isn't the right spot for this thread? have you not seen the millions of absurd Leaf threads that pop up every single day in every area?

If a thread can pop up about Matthews and Marner signing Bon Jovi on the bench a split second after it actually happened in one area and also the silly ideas of what little amount the team would only have to give up to acquire a top pairing dman multiple times a day, etc etc etc, then a thread made wondering what the teams next move will be absolutely belong in this area of the site 100%.

I am actually very curious myself what Dubas will do and check this site a lot specifically for that reason.

This team is the one team whether people can admit it or not, is a team that every NHL fan is VERY curious to see what they become. IMO every little trade they make is huge cause I feel as though they are a team that is on the cusp of something great potentially if they can tinker around a tiny bit here and there and somehow acquire a top dman. Obviously acquiring a top dman will be difficult but Leafs have extremely smart management and I strongly feel Dubas and crew wont make a stupid trade. Leafs are in very good hands.

As for the question in the OP, I feel it will be a small trade involving a goalie. Most likely it will be Pickard that is dealt and it will be for a somewhat minimal return. Either prospect depth and/or a conditional pick type thing. But as I said, it will be a smart trade and Dubas will target a need of the team.

Dubas made his splash earlier on when he signed JT. I don't see him making another massive splash trading away someone like a Nylander in a deal to improve the blue line. I don't mind that idea, but I just don't see it. I think they will roll with their dmen they have and then see how the season progresses. If it stays obvious that they need help, they will address it mid season I think

Reactions: pawn

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Goalies aren’t worth virtually anything in general. Might get a late pick at most, very good chance get waived.

Signing Nylander is next thing to get done.

No other moves, will roll with current roster and review D situation throughout season until TDL.

Agree with the (bolded) above. Don't think the return from a Pickard/McBackUp + Leivo/Gauthier will be sufficient enough to move the needle or improve the Leafs. Even looking at this optimistically and assuming we can get a NHL defender back at all, we already have average #6 type defenders, so not much point.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I guess I'm kinda in the crowd saying stay put at this point and see what the addition of Tavares does and hopefully we get back the Zaitsev of 2 seasons ago and the pre-injured Matthews of the first 25 games last season. These three will be the key to this team having a bona fide Cup run this season.

Oh and don't play Gardiner in game 7's. That could be a move.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Wrong place for this discussion.

There will be a lot of snippy and sarcastic posts, and rightly so. Putting this up here implies that whatever happens in Leafs Nation is of interest to the entire NHL, and that just isn't the case.

There are more than enough Leafies to discuss this in our own backyard. I think one of the mods should move it there ASAP.

This thread is just an irritant and a target for everyone else.

Or maybe the OP just wanted opinions from a larger knowledge base or perhaps fresh opinions from an outsider?

I've never understood people coming to a discussion board looking to shut down or limit discussions. Especially now when there really hasn't been much fresh stuff to talk about for a while. I mean, you can just scroll past the thread title if it doesn't interest you, it's not like there are pages and pages of new topics.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Have at it
There's a Leafs centric section for a reason. I'd utilize that going forward.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You’d think this was a successful organization with the number of Leafs’ threads. But uhhhh it isn’t.

There are many measures of success. There's a reason the Leafs have legions of fans that have remained completely loyal through thick and thin unlike some teams whose fan support depends entirely on what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad