Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
A couple of soft goals but the team battled back pretty well. I thought it might end up in OT but Mitch totally blew it. Jets played Mitch rough and he ended up sulking after the first period and looked absolutely terrible. Usually a dependable and lethal player.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
That's not remotely what happened. The Leafs were all over them and had several great scoring chances in the third. The Leafs were not shut down in any way. They just couldnt solve Hellebuyck. Hellebuyck and quick strike counterattack is what makes Winnipeg dangerous

way to beat that is to score first, then score 5 on 3. Then teams cannot just seat back trying to make a turnover on blue line.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I am sorry that my tone comes off that way. I can see where my statement could come off as dismissive but that was not my intention. A lot of people have been using "eye-test" to spew BS around the board and I think being dismissive has just become a default at times recently even when I do not want to be.

My point was simply that I did not think Galchenyuk (or Marner) had a great game today. A few good plays, but struggled for much of the game and their numbers were not good today either. Both have been better.

You can see things differently, and I fully respect that if you've got the evidence to back it up, but just know that I was not trying to be dismissive... just voicing my disagreement.

No worries. A lot of people are dismissive around here but they do it purposely. I apologize for assuming you were as well. I posted a couple of games ago that it was very noticeable that we were missing Nylander. And I was met with a reply of "Actually it's not noticeable at all". No reasons, just that I was wrong and that was fact.

Disagreements are fine. That's why boards like these exist. If everyone agreed it would be pretty damn boring.

Again sorry for assuming.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
When it’s bad it’s awful! The powerplay is just a joke at this point. Hopefully Willy and Matthews are back ASAP and Foligno gets cleared. Such a shame.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
I wonder how much of that though is just opposing fans trying to somehow discredit Matthews by using Marner?. Marner is an elite player and we're lucky to have both, but it's obvious to anyone who watches both guys on a regular basis who the better player is.
At least with the people I talk to, I think a lot of them see the fancy passes that Marner makes, the higher point totals (up until this season). Where with Matthews a lot of his highlights are just crazy shots. I like Marner as much as the next person, but Matthews is this teams best player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Those games aren't going to happen. In general I'm trying to say that everyone is freaking out over a minor slide when in reality everyone loved this team and its position this time last week.

But we also didn't love them a few weeks ago when they lost 6 of 7...

Any way you slice it, these low floor, high ceiling performances aren't ideal when you're trying to tune up for a cup run.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm sorry but these "best by far" takes are just ridiculous. The Jets have played the Leafs really well this year. The series is what, 4-3 Leafs, with a couple convincing wins for the Jets?

Couple that with their superior size, scoring depth and goaltending, I think Leafs fans are deeply misleading themselves if they think Toronto a lot better than Winnipeg.

Points are 8-8 through 7 games, but a lot of it comes down to goaltending. Hellebuyck has a .923 against us. Our goalies have an .897 against them.

Our PP has been a problem in general too, but theirs is not really killing us. We need to get our PP figured out against all teams, but they lose the special teams advantage once we do.

We are killing them 5-on-5. It's not even close. I think Winnipeg has only played 1 good game against us 5-on-5. Hellebuyck has stolen a few points for them, and our goalies have cost us a few points, but they are screwed if they can't figure out their ES play. Our goalies can't play like they did today against any team, but if our goalies were even decent today, this game is probably in OT right now. That is not a good look for the Jets even without Wheeler. We are without Matthews and Nylander, and we are going to have Foligno and Nash in the mix as well. We paid a lot for Foligno, so one hopes he can have a serious impact. Other than Wheeler, Beaulieu, and Benn, this is the Jets team. They are not getting much better than they are right now, and they were far from dominant today.

If Campbell/Andersen/Rittich plays well, which is a given for any playoff series, Winnipeg will have a tough time beating us in the playoffs even if Hellebuyck plays like he has been.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hyman jamming in the crease from the side of the net needs to happen more. That was nice to see. Set the power play up for that. Around the outside is pathetic. Ten minutes is all i see and i was bored watching them within about 5 minutes.
This team looks bad have a good night everyone

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Congrats to the winterpeg Jets for their big stanley cup victory tonight.

Didn't watch much of the game. No Matthews, no Nylander, tired Campbell. I don't blame the team for not wanting to fight too hard today when we have a series against the jets coming up later.

Let the Thrashers fans have their little parade. I bet those little guys are so excited on their boards. They finally got us. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Literally not what happened tonight but alright. Might want to buy a new book.
Did you watch the game? The Jets forced the Leafs to dump it in all night. They sat back in the neutral zone and waited for the Leafs to dump it in. Sure they circled back a bunch of times but still had to dump it in and maybe 50-50 to get it back

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I just don't want it to be used as an excuse this season if we lose in the first round. Don't say "we just couldn't solve Price" Or "we just couldn't solve Smith" Or "we just couldn't solve Helle". Enough.

I think, as always, I'll watch the games and purely judge it at that point. I get where you're coming from. I don't wanna be sitting there again either. I think this deep is deep enough, plays with the pace and level of possession required to be able to expect them to score. I'm just not going to get too twisted right now about some scoring troubles while getting some of the best players on our team healthy

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No worries. A lot of people are dismissive around here but they do it purposely. I apologize for assuming you were as well. I posted a couple of games ago that it was very noticeable that we were missing Nylander. And I was met with a reply of "Actually it's not noticeable at all". No reasons, just that I was wrong and that was fact.

Disagreements are fine. That's why boards like these exist. If everyone agreed it would be pretty damn boring.

Again sorry for assuming.

No worries. It was a fair assumption and that is on me. This is when typing sucks, because I don't think it comes off like that if I was talking.

Have a great night!

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It is. Safe to say the Joe Thornton experiment is a total failure. Thus Keefe is a failure for lacking the stones to remove him from the lineup. This teammis skill killed to death with this lazy drop pass. I officially hated it long time ago. Useless annoying tactic. This team is being coached in to the ground right now

Where have I heard this story before?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Did you watch the game? The Jets forced the Leafs to dump it in all night. They sat back in the neutral zone and waited for the Leafs to dump it in. Sure they circled back a bunch of times but still had to dump it in and maybe 50-50 to get it back

For being a "physical" team, we won a lot of those forechecking battles...

Reactions: NK94 and Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
way to beat that is to score first, then score 5 on 3. Then teams cannot just seat back trying to make a turnover on blue line.

I'm with you. Our powerplay has been an absolute joke and it makes no sense. It's a big problem and it needs to be figured out fast

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Thornton started the season way above expectations, but man he looks old out there. He barely looks like an NHL player at the moment. It is tough to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad