Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Agreed. Nick Robertson is what, 5'8"? He was really buzzing and forechecking hard and willing to go to the dirty areas. Contrast that with Marner making soft Junior B moves against pros and I just want to understand if this is from a lack of respect for the opposition or if he really thinks those are the plays he should be making out there.

He looked lazy these last few games, because he is probably just burnt out.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's not remotely what happened. The Leafs were all over them and had several great scoring chances in the third. The Leafs were not shut down in any way. They just couldnt solve Hellebuyck

That's a problem, though. Eventually if you want to go deep in the playoffs, you have to solve good goaltending. Couldn't solve that guy, couldn't solve this guy, seems like we always say it.

Reactions: LeafsRus

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
Boy are we in for a rude awakening in the first round...
Don't worry. The Habs are a complete mess and many key players on the team are carrying major injuries. They will make the playoffs only because of their hot start of the season.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Can we have Liljegren and a LD Marlie next game for Muzzin and Holl and put Liljegren on the PP.

We can only dream, but for some reason our organization treats young d like they are precious flowers that need a decade of growth

Reactions: LeafsRus

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honestly, I didn't think it was that difficult of a night for Hellebuyck. I thought he played fine, but this game has nothing to do with him stealing the game.

Didn't say he stole the game. More than we gave it away with some gaffs. But Hellebuyck was very good, as he usually is

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs will win the next two and all you guys freaking out will feel great. It's a long season, some slides are expected. Take it in stride and move on.

Actually no. The next two games against Vancouver are against a Covid depleted team that's asking the NHL for mercy in scheduling and completely demoralized. In the real world, I feel bad those guys even have to play hockey.

From a Leaf perspective, they are "must win" in the sense that a Stanley Cup contender simply can't drop those games under those conditions. But they also don't get any credit for looking great in those games either. Basically they are the EBUG games of 2021. Just win, win big and don't come out unprepared and get embarrassed.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
book is out on how to beat the Leafs. Same way the Blue Jackets did last playoff and the Bruins. Last 3 games showed how to do it.

Clog up the middle, play the trap and force the leafs to dump it in. They have 1 guy who can forecheck and retrieve pucks that is Hyman. The rest are too slow or too soft to engage in the dump and chase. The Leafs rather dipsy doodle and try low percentage plays vs doing hard and getting the puck back.

Team will simply play that way and wait for the Leaf D to make a stupid pinch and 2 on 1 all day long.

This team hasn't changed anything really from last year's playoff loss. They can't beat the trap.
Literally not what happened tonight but alright. Might want to buy a new book.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Missed the first Period powerplays.

Last one looked decent with the movement and opportunities, just need to get rid of those longer Rielly and Marner floaters. There are better options, it's not ever a good choice.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not that there wasn't a lot of bad tonight, but his obssesion with 44 on PP1 and Jumbo as the extra attacker 6v5 is troubling
It is. Safe to say the Joe Thornton experiment is a total failure. Thus Keefe is a failure for lacking the stones to remove him from the lineup. This teammis skill killed to death with this lazy drop pass. I officially hated it long time ago. Useless annoying tactic. This team is being coached in to the ground right now

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Leafs missing 4 to potentially 6 players from their projected playoff roster. Some very high impact players as well.

People need to step away from the keyboards on nights like tonight. It'll be OK.
Thank you. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Didn't say he stole the game. More than we gave it away with some gaffs. But Hellebuyck was very good, as he usually is
Yea I guess, he was a capable NHL goalie today. But again, quoting why the Leafs lost today wasn't the play of Helle.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's a problem, though. Eventually if you want to go deep in the playoffs, you have to solve good goaltending. Couldn't solve that guy, couldn't solve this guy, seems like we always say it.

Matthews and Nylander being out completely disrupts our lineup. Foligno adding some more depth will help. Eventually Riley Nash too, as a defensive depth forward

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Missed the first Period powerplays.

Last one looked decent with the movement and opportunities, just need to get rid of those longer Rielly and Marner floaters. There are better options, it's not ever a good choice.

The better options are usually covered while opposition doesn't mind marner and rielly floaters IMO :laugh:

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Actually no. The next two games against Vancouver are against a Covid depleted team that's asking the NHL for mercy in scheduling and completely demoralized. In the real world, I feel bad those guys even have to play hockey.

From a Leaf perspective, they are "must win" in the sense that a Stanley Cup contender simply can't drop those games under those conditions. But they also don't get any credit for looking great in those games either. Basically they are the EBUG games of 2021. Just win, win big and don't come out unprepared and get embarrassed.

Our next 2 games are against the Jets (Canucks games will be postponed). He's right if we win both of our next 2 ...in their barn they will deserve the praise that's sure to come.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Matthews and Nylander being out completely disrupts our lineup. Foligno adding some more depth will help. Eventually Riley Nash too, as a defensive depth forward
Can't argue with this. Losing 2 of our top 4 offensive weapons is always going to be tough.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Are the boys like 10-8-2 the last 20 games. They have to start winning again. I say they start a new winning streak with their new game.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Those games aren't going to happen. In general I'm trying to say that everyone is freaking out over a minor slide when in reality everyone loved this team and its position this time last week.

Reactions: Lumberg

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Oddly enough, a lot of fans of other teams seem to think Marner is better. Living in Calgary, a majority of Flames fans I know do think Marner is the better player.

Watching every game, Matthews is clearly the guy.

I wonder how much of that though is just opposing fans trying to somehow discredit Matthews by using Marner?. Marner is an elite player and we're lucky to have both, but it's obvious to anyone who watches both guys on a regular basis who the better player is.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yea I guess, he was a capable NHL goalie today. But again, quoting why the Leafs lost today wasn't the play of Helle.

He was as much the reason as anything. Except the pp. that right is just ridiculous

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I just don't want it to be used as an excuse this season if we lose in the first round. Don't say "we just couldn't solve Price" Or "we just couldn't solve Smith" Or "we just couldn't solve Helle". Enough.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The better options are usually covered while opposition doesn't mind marner and rielly floaters IMO :laugh:
For the last little while we've been driving traffic to the net to encourage their shots, which is a huge mistake. Today we started to see Hyman pull off, especially for Marner leading to more dangerous plays and oddly enough more traffic. That's what needs to happen because it opens up the seems for passes and puck movement instead of stationary play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->