Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
If your team has a 66% chance of winning a series, there is a 12% chance the lower seeded team wins 4 games, 25% chance they win 3. I don't really care at this point but the better team doesn't always win, full stop.
The best way to evaluate a team is how much they win and when. I’ll take the team that does that better all the time and leave the math to you.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Won't ever happen with Babs but 3 changes I'd make to the special teams

1. Have Tavares take defensive zone draws on the PK. Biggest problem with the PK right now is that Boston always starts with the puck and wears us out. Bergeron is killing Hyman on draws.

2. Stop splitting the damn ice time between the units. I don't see the purpose of stacking the top unit if you split the ice time evenly between the 2 units. Have the big boys stay out for an extra 30-40 seconds and try and wear down the other team's penalty killers. Its absolutely ridiculous that Marleau had more powerplay time than Tavares and Marner tonight

3. Put Matthews and Marner on their off wings. Need to open up one timers on the PP IMO.

Reactions: Nalens Oga

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You're right. It's indefensible. Would have been better not to post though.
Nylander's effort has been admired by wondercoach himself (who seems to have no issues with Nylander) and if you look hard enough, you can find all of your favorite players in bad clips like the one Nylander is in.

The Nylander hate train is pretty hilarious right now.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Winning is when one team scores more goals than the other team. If the only metric you have for measuring the better team is the team that scores more goals, then yeah, sure. Do you think that that's the case 100% of the time though?

I think hockey is fairly luck based and it can render terms like "better" kinda meaningless. I do think that it's fair to say that good hockey teams give themselves a better chance of winning though... but when you're talking a game by game basis, it's more of a crap shoot than we'd like to think. Also not suggesting that that let's the Leafs off the hook after a poor performance.
The point is. I want a team that wins. That’s it. Too much unimportant number crunching doesn’t change the fact they winning is what counts in the end. Anyway that they can or look doing it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nylander's effort has been admired by wondercoach himself (who seems to have no issues with Nylander) and if you look hard enough, you can find all of your favorite players in bad clips like the one Nylander is in.

Babs praises Nylander for every little thing he does right because he has serious issues with him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

Babcock has no choice. He’s trying to build up his confidence so he gets more out of him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The best way to evaluate a team is how much they win and when. I’ll take the team that does that better all the time and leave the math to you.
and that's fine, nobody cares about the loser, which nobody should. I'm just saying, the Bruins are not the better team and them squeaking out a win doesn't change that. I'm just willing to accept that the better team loses once and awhile.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
and that's fine, nobody cares about the loser, which nobody should. I'm just saying, the Bruins are not the better team and them squeaking out a win doesn't change that. I'm just willing to accept that the better team loses once and awhile.
The point is, the most objective measure is who actually wins. Saying who is better is so fans can feel better about losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The point is. I want a team that wins. That’s it. Too much unimportant number crunching doesn’t change the fact they winning is what counts in the end. Anyway that they can or look doing it.
Your philosophy is misguided if you only care about wins. That simply isn't how it works and pretending you care only about the result doesn't change how the result arrives.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Marner was put on a pedestal usually reserved for Gilmour or Keon after game one and the media was singing his praises then Poof!! he Keyser Soze‘s and he’s gone!
Like every other forward other than Matthews. This isn’t on Marner. Love the Leaf fans who hate on their top scorer. Makes no sense. Too much of a popularity contest with them.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Your philosophy is misguided if you only care about wins. That simply isn't how it works and pretending you care only about the result doesn't change how the result arrives.
Maybe the most naive comment I’ve ever heard about professional sports. Teams don’t care how they win as long as they do. Why don’t you is the better question?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Highest paid coach in the league has 2 #1 centers, a top 5 playmaking winger, a bonafide #1 dman, and a top tier goalie, yet we’re going to game 7 against a 1 line team with a deadly power play.

Seriously what the f***. Babcock was supposed to be the cherry on top of a stacked roster, but he’s the piece of hair you find in your food. Ruins what could of been something great.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Here it is:

What an absolute embarrassment you guys are to our fan base. How dumb can you guys be. First you can see fourth line is out and Nylander is still on so he’s at the end of his shift. If you played any sports you’ll know when you are tired your mind isn’t the sharpest. Goat has the puck and gets checked the puck goes to Moore. Nylander thinks Goat still has it and he’s looking at goat for the puck. Moore had it and made a nice pass that Nylander wasn’t expecting. Nylander at the end of the shift made a smart decision to not chase the puck because he was tired instead he backed off and got into a good defensive position then made a change when he could. Now please stop embarrassing the real fans who want good players to want to come play for the leafs

Reactions: SwissLeaf

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Sorry but it’s pretty obvious. What else can he do?

Not play him during the last 2 minutes of the second period when:

1) He is just coming off a shift that was over a minute long with only 2 minutes remaining.
2) When you have Tavares' and Matthews' lines, plus the fourth line who have been high energy guys all series.
3) When he has just made a play that some people on here, and I would imagine Babcock, but I can't read his mind like you can, view as a so bad that he should have shit kicked out of him.

Not playing him for the last two minutes of a period is not a drastic step, especially considering how grave his actions were, and how often Babs benches players for much longer periods of time, and he has doubled up Matthews, centering second lines this series, but people just think that would be too much for Babcock.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
What an absolute embarrassment you guys are to our fan base. How dumb can you guys be. First you can see fourth line is out and Nylander is still on so he’s at the end of his shift. If you played any sports you’ll know when you are tired your mind isn’t the sharpest. Goat has the puck and gets checked the puck goes to Moore. Nylander thinks Goat still has it and he’s looking at goat for the puck. Moore had it and made a nice pass that Nylander wasn’t expecting. Nylander at the end of the shift made a smart decision to not chase the puck because he was tired instead he backed off and got into a good defensive position then made a change when he could. Now please stop embarrassing the real fans who want good players to want to come play for the leafs
Yes trade Nylander for one of them.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Not play him during the last 2 minutes of the second period when:

1) He is just coming off a shift that was over a minute long with only 2 minutes remaining.
2) When you have Tavares' and Matthews' lines, plus the fourth line who have been high energy guys all series.
3) When he has just made a play that some people on here, and I would imagine Babcock, but I can't read his mind like you can, view as a so bad that he should have **** kicked out of him.

Not playing him for the last two minutes of a period is not a drastic step, especially considering how grave his actions were, and how often Babs benches players for much longer periods of time, and he has doubled up Matthews, centering second lines this series, but people just think that would be too much for Babcock.
I was referring to why Babcock has been trying to pump his tires to get him to play better. If Kadri wasn’t suspended he could bench him but not now.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

This is reasonable and in line with the rest of his shift.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I was referring to why Babcock has been trying to pump his tires to get him to play better. If Kadri wasn’t suspended he could bench him but not now.

Again, I am glad we have people on here who can read Babcock's mind and know who he would have benched if Kadri was not suspended.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
That PP was just horrible. So predictable and our of sync

45 seconds for the first unit. A unit that has 2 40 goal scores(ok Auston has 37) but come on

How can a team full of young snipers be so bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad