Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Yeah. The better you play the luckier you get.

With the parity today, literally any team can and does win any night. We like to talk about specific plays because we like to have patterns and think we understand but at the end of the day, there is a shit ton of luck involved. You hope over 7 games the better team wins but again, that's not always the case.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am well aware of the play. I wondered out loud wtf he was doing at the time, and then immediately hit the back button on my PVR and watched the play another two times. But as it occurred with 2 1/2 minutes left in the second and yet he still got another shift before the end of the period I am pretty sure that there was some kind of communications mix up or something. Babs has had no problem benching Nylander and he didn't here.

A mix up? He didn’t even attempt to get the puck after it went past him. It’s bad enough that he didn’t get the pass, but that’s not the problem at all. It’s the complete lack of effort chasing it down.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ok. I shouldn’t really need to point this out but ....
1. Avoids contact at every opportunity.
2. Puts little effort into checking or overall play actually.
3. Doesn’t contribute much to the offense.
4. Skates around the perimeter but doesn’t go into the dirty areas.
5. Wins very few 1 on 1 battles for the puck.
6. 7 goals in 55 games.
Just compare his stats to the players I compared him to and it should be obvious why he’s has been a disappointment based upon what they are paying him. At $3M his play would be acceptable.

So it is very clear you are one who will never change their mind on Nylander do to the contract talks or some other random reason. Some rebuttals:

1. Going after his physical prowess is odd because it has never been what he is about and despite that he has been finishing his checks this series
2. Ripping on the effort level is a cop out of monumental per portions. He has been giving it each shift and when work ethic becomes the main thing in question its a weak argument.
3. Offensively he has generated fine considering he is playing with the two least effective offensive forwards and the second PP unit for 45ish seconds a powerplay. He has worked the cycle well and found some space at times, while also giving Brown and Marleau some good looks off of nice passes. also he does have a goal and 2 assists so he is clearly doing something for our offense
4. He has looked comfortable sliding over to C, especially in game 5 when he had many shifts against the second line of Boston. He is showing he is versatile and that is awesome to see! He has also had some great pockets of driving the play, again with the less offensively inclined line mates he has been paired with.
5. Bringing up his stats from the regular season and his cap hit is completely pointless as neither of them have anything to do with his play in this series, it shows you are bitter though.

He had a rocky game 2 and has had some giveaways at the blue line, but point to a player on the team who has not had that issue. Overall he has been a good player this series and if you can't see that I'm guessing you just never will with Willie. Your loss really :)

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if we find out in 10 years Nylander was paid to throw this game, that play was beyond anything "lazy" it was intentional.

Reactions: Luckylarry

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Perhaps when their superstar players are in their mid to late 20's and in the middle of their prime. Matthews, Marner are both 21, Nylander is 22 (not a superstar), leafs were crap before those 3 became regulars.

Not to mention the Raps have arguably the third best player in the world in a sport where individuals affect the outcome in far more ways. :p

Reactions: Xanner

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
So it is very clear you are one who will never change their mind on Nylander do to the contract talks or some other random reason. Some rebuttals:

1. Going after his physical prowess is odd because it has never been what he is about and despite that he has been finishing his checks this series. Unfortunately, it’s required at times in the playoffs. Look at Paternac’s willingness to engage.
2. Ripping on the effort level is a cop out of monumental per portions. He has been giving it each shift and when work ethic becomes the main thing in question its a weak argument.
We’re watching different games obviously.
3. Offensively he has generated fine considering he is playing with the two least effective offensive forwards and the second PP unit for 45ish seconds a powerplay. He has worked the cycle well and found some space at times, while also giving Brown and Marleau some good looks off of nice passes. also he does have a goal and 2 assists so he is clearly doing something for our offense
Ditto from above. 8 goals in 61 games says it all. Oh, I forgot. Scoring doesn’t matter. Participation medals all around.
4. He has looked comfortable sliding over to C, especially in game 5 when he had many shifts against the second line of Boston. He is showing he is versatile and that is awesome to see! He has also had some great pockets of driving the play, again with the less offensively inclined line mates he has been paired with.
If he is comfortable that may be the problem because he doesn’t seem to understand what is required to win.
5. Bringing up his stats from the regular season and his cap hit is completely pointless as neither of them have anything to do with his play in this series, it shows you are bitter though.
I am certainly not bitter about the player just disappointed with his play. I hope he proves me wrong and scores the winning goal next game.

He had a rocky game 2 and has had some giveaways at the blue line, but point to a player on the team who has not had that issue. Overall he has been a good player this series and if you can't see that I'm guessing you just never will with Willie. Your loss really :)
It is never personal. Just being objective. I want every player to do well. This is not teenage angst although I think sometimes his supporters who never criticize him have a crush on him.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
A mix up? He didn’t even attempt to get the puck after it went past him. It’s bad enough that he didn’t get the pass, but that’s not the problem at all. It’s the complete lack of effort chasing it down.

He was about a minute into his shift, a shift where he had been pretty engaged. Less than 5 seconds before the video starts he had a nice takeaway on the far boards curled around to the other side of the ice and fired off a wrist shot that was blocked at the exact time that the video starts. The video shows a wtf moment, but again, as far as I am concerned something else was going on there as Babs didn't bench Nylander - not even for a shift. The people recording the video have an obvious agenda against Nylander (who again had an otherwise productive shift), and the tweet couldn't even get the period right.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I am well aware of the play. I wondered out loud wtf he was doing at the time, and then immediately hit the back button on my PVR and watched the play another two times. But as it occurred with 2 1/2 minutes left in the second and yet he still got another shift before the end of the period I am pretty sure that there was some kind of communications mix up or something. Babs has had no problem benching Nylander and he didn't here.
He can’t bench him now. He’s playing 3C.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He was about a minute into his shift, a shift where he had been pretty engaged. Less than 5 seconds before the video starts he had a nice takeaway on the far boards curled around to the other side of the ice and fired off a wrist shot that was blocked at the exact time that the video starts. The video shows a wtf moment, but again, as far as I am concerned something else was going on there as Babs didn't bench Nylander - not even for a shift. The people recording the video have an obvious agenda against Nylander (who again had an otherwise productive shift), and the tweet couldn't even get the period right.

Oh gosh. What links people go to defend bad behavior is astounding. The effing punk quit on a play.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nylander and Dougie Hamilton going after a puck in corner would be something to watch.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
With the parity today, literally any team can and does win any night. We like to talk about specific plays because we like to have patterns and think we understand but at the end of the day, there is a **** ton of luck involved. You hope over 7 games the better team wins but again, that's not always the case.
Actually it is. That’s what winning means.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Oh that’s good. Ignore the obvious and blame the videographer.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He can’t bench him now. He’s playing 3C.

There is 2 minutes left in the second period when the video ends. In almost any other game Babs wouldn't manage to get the third line out again before the end of the period. He did this game - for a full 50+ seconds shift. So he must have really wanted to bench him but just couldn't.

Reactions: saffronleaf

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

If your team has a 66% chance of winning a series, there is a 12% chance the lower seeded team wins 4 games, 25% chance they win 3. I don't really care at this point but the better team doesn't always win, full stop.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

Winning is when one team scores more goals than the other team. If the only metric you have for measuring the better team is the team that scores more goals, then yeah, sure. Do you think that that's the case 100% of the time though?

I think hockey is fairly luck based and it can render terms like "better" kinda meaningless. I do think that it's fair to say that good hockey teams give themselves a better chance of winning though... but when you're talking a game by game basis, it's more of a crap shoot than we'd like to think. Also not suggesting that that let's the Leafs off the hook after a poor performance.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Oh gosh. What links people go to defend bad behavior is astounding. The effing punk quit on a play.

No shit. So the question is why? Was it because he decided to puss out? If you watch the rest of the shift - something you have never gone back and done - where he was going to into the dirty areas and coming out with the puck then then not a single f***ing thing that you say makes any sense. And again, Babs had him out there again right away.

I have said that when it happened I said wtf and immediately re-watched it twice, but unlike you I re-watched the whole f***ing shift twice, because I actually give a shit about what is going on instead of simply shitting on a player. Weird things happen in games.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia