Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
OK, Kawahi freaking Leonard (jaw dropping defense leads to very capable offence) is by miles the best professional athlete currently employed by a Toronto team.

And, by the way, Kawahi Leonard showed up today and so did the Raptors, unlike the Leafs. And it is not a sin to support the Jays, Leafs, TFC and the Raptors (oh yeah Argos) and to be a Toronto fan!

But this hate on for Nylaner! Jeez! He's still a young kid who is going to get better! We need to stop running young kids out of town! It needs to stop! And no more trading for torn ACLs with memories of a Norris trophy winner from 7 years ago- just stop it! Why must we get rid of all our young talent? Or does it only so seem?

The Leafs need to watch the Raptors game tonight for inspiration - got back on defense, made good passes to find the open man, and drilled the shots given to them. Leafs got to do to Boston what the Raptors are doing to Orlando- make them an also -ran.
You make it sound so easy. Having a top 3 player in the league on the floor for 3/4 of the game makes a big difference. Nylander hasn’t played up to his potential. Hopefully he will learn what it takes like Kawhi, but if he doesn’t they will need to move him.

Reactions: Carter IV

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Didnt deserve to be anywhere close to in this game.
That was a pathetic showing for a team trying to end a series.
I cant remember a game where I was more frustrated from a total lack of urgency and effort.
Marleau is NOT an NHL top 9 forward. I dont know if he will be a sure fire NHLer by next year. 4th most icetime late in a game your down 1 was an abysmal choice by Babs.

If they play even remotely like that in game 7 they deserve to loose and they deserve to have us hold them to account.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
This core will win within the next 5 if they are going to, so that's all we should care about today, forget 50 years and live in the (slightly) futuristic present

If they lose game 7, the only way this core is winning a cup is if they avoid Boston.

A loss Tuesday would all but assure that the Bruins would be in their heads moving forward.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Well, that seems more like a powerful motivation to win!

:baghead:
Christ I hope so 62 years a leafs fan I have seen a lot of ups and down. This team can play with the best of them. But from one game to another you never know if they will show up to play or not. I pray they win Tuesday and I’m totally wrong

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Christ I hope so 62 years a leafs fan I have seen a lot of ups and down. This team can play with the best of them. But from one game to another you never know if they will show up to play or not. I pray they win Tuesday and I’m totally wrong
On the same page as you my good man!

:thumbu:

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Wow. Really glad I kept my phone off all day so I could stay up to watch that disgrace. Marleau.... nothing personal but pick a Marlie out of a hat and they’ll be an upgrade.

Marner seems hurt. He’s not having a great series, especially compared to last year when he was easily our MVP.

And why does our forecheck suck? Our zone entries and exits are awful and disjointed.

Just no urgency. Terrible, terrible game.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Was always going 7 games, two of the best teams in the league and one has to lose. With how this series has gone its a flip of a coin, we should have all the momentum after the huge win and with home ice advantage but that’s not held up for either team so far.
Agreed
The Boston Bruins are one quality opponent, they didn’t finish 2nd overall with 107 points without being good.
They are not only superbly talented, with ample muscle, but well coached. They have infused their lineup with speed, I’m not sure the Leafs are faster anymore.
Now it’s our turn to adjust (seems like that’s how this series works)
Kudos to both teams for putting on a great series (except game 2).

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Marner is still a flea in a mans league. He is a regular season wow, but he has been clubbed in this series and mostly by Chara.

I think the kid has stones, but Chara can shrink thoses stones pretty badly, especially when you are a little guy like Marner.

Chara doesn't seem to go at anyone like he goes at Marner, I think he understands, that if he can crack some of Marners bones, a lot of Leaf winning percentage goes down.

Reactions: mikeyz

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Agreed
The Boston Bruins are one quality opponent, they didn’t finish 2nd overall with 107 points without being good.
They are not only superbly talented, with ample muscle, but well coached. They have infused their lineup with speed, I’m not sure the Leafs are faster anymore.
Now it’s our turn to adjust (seems like that’s how this series works)
Kudos to both teams for putting on a great series (except game 2).

Bostons coaching is superior.

Our PP is completely impotent. Takes forever to setup and by the time it is, Babs pulls them for the inferior unit which also cannot setup.
Every PP this series other than in 1 game this has been the result.

Once we adjusted to Bostons PP and we could kill off their PP. They drew up a completely new one that we saw tonight.
It took them 5 seconds to be setup and very cleanly so they can be ready for assault. The point man down low, waiting for someone to bite and keeps freddy high on his shoulder to avoid the shoot - in.

Leafs had No answer. PK was overwhelmed by brilliant tactics.

On contrast, look at ours... we can barely enter the zone. If we do its same thing Blue line to high slot and back again to Marner to JT by the net.

Its not the players... these guys are NHLers... this is coaching to Effing core

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Boston looked like the better team for long stretches which was worrisome.

It was a good push back by the good guys, especially that goal by matthews! Hope he can keep bringing it.

I liked nylander's game. He battled hard and won lots of pucks. But he needs to get on the score board.

Freddy was amazing though! Hopefully we can win on tuesday

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Tavares and Marner get leeway but we need something from them offensively.

We had Kadri and komarov as our shutdown line last two years n we still made it to game 7. I really feel it's not outrageous to expect a little more from Tavares and Marner. You don't get paid the big bucks to be avg at such big moments.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
They really deserved to take that to OT.

Hopefully the 3rd period play keeps their spirits up heading into Boston. We've won 2/3 in Boston so far. So they can do it.

Just got to override the early pressure and undoubted forthcoming shocking calls from the boston zebra's.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Are you kidding me ? Nylander is payed like a top player and contributes little that actually matters. Willie scored 7 frickin goals this season and did nothing when played with Matthews. Marner had 94 points and is the main reason Tavares had 47 goals. What does Nylanders lack of finish, lack of effort and timid play have to do with Marner? Comparing Nylander to Marner is a pathological obsession by some fans who have no clue.
The topic was performance this postseason. That should perhaps be judged by looking at their performance this postseason.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The topic was performance this postseason. That should perhaps be judged by looking at their performance this postseason.
One has nothing to do with the other but Marner has 4 points and Nylander has 3. I’ll take Marner's game over Nylander any day. Two years ago I would have said the opposite but Marner has progressed while Willie has regressed. Marner 69 points last year to 94 points this year. Willie 61 points to 40 points (games adjusted). Fans who dislike Marner for some strange reason always mention him when defending Nylander. It is weird and not a good comparison for Nylander. Unfortunately his numbers don’t lie.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One has nothing to do with the other but Marner has 4 points and Nylander has 3. I’ll take Marner's game over Nylander any day. Two years ago I would have said the opposite but Marner has progressed while Willie has regressed. Marner 69 points last year to 94 points this year. Willie 61 points to 40 points (games adjusted). Fans who dislike Marner for some strange reason always mention him when defending Nylander. It is weird and not a good comparison for Nylander. Unfortunately his numbers don’t lie.
I love Marner. Significantly more than I like Willy. Nobody dislikes Marner. I just believe in fair criticism. Marner has two points more, but has been absolutely shelled at ES and PK to the point that he's been on for 10 goals against compared to one. Nobody can ignore that and claim to be reasonable.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Haha. Is ignoring facts part of this knowledge you don't feel like sharing?
Haha. Is ignoring facts part of this knowledge you don't feel like sharing?
Ok 7 goals in 54 games. Start with that fact. Also, why do so many ex players criticize his play? I am one of them and it’s because they know how the game is played and what it takes to win and he doesn’t help enough there to rely on him.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I love Marner. Significantly more than I like Willy. Nobody dislikes Marner. I just believe in fair criticism. Marner has two points more, but has been absolutely shelled at ES and PK to the point that he's been on for 10 goals against compared to one. Nobody can ignore that and claim to be reasonable.
Marner as has most of the forward group other than Matthews have struggled the last four games but the regular season also matters when comparing them and Marner led the team in points in last year’s regular season and playoffs and this year’s regular season. He is so much more effective than Nylander at both ends of the ice it’s not even close. Willie needs to produce and he just doesn’t. 60 games is notva small sample size. He looks scared or disinterested out there at times. If fans don’t expect more out of him, then they’re letting him off too easily.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
What an absolute embarrassment you guys are to our fan base. How dumb can you guys be. First you can see fourth line is out and Nylander is still on so he’s at the end of his shift. If you played any sports you’ll know when you are tired your mind isn’t the sharpest. Goat has the puck and gets checked the puck goes to Moore. Nylander thinks Goat still has it and he’s looking at goat for the puck. Moore had it and made a nice pass that Nylander wasn’t expecting. Nylander at the end of the shift made a smart decision to not chase the puck because he was tired instead he backed off and got into a good defensive position then made a change when he could. Now please stop embarrassing the real fans who want good players to want to come play for the leafs
Yeah, we wouldn't want poor Nylander to break a sweat, he might mess up his hair.

#gethis***outofherenow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->