Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Didn' t like our effort. Again, we played a regular season game expecting to win in the playoffs.

Didn't like our coaching decisions either. Haven't knocked Babcock much, but there were some decisions I have to question.

1. The PP. The first unit was creating opportunities, but after 45-5o seconds they are off the ice and the 2nd unit which was doing absolutely nothing, gets the rest of the PP. A min to a min/15 for the 2nd unit and 45-50 seconds for the first unit? Not hard to figure out why the PP isn't working.
2. Mathews is the only guy scoring and he doesn't get extra time until the third and is sitting and well rested because of the PK time missed prior.
3. Pulling the goalie with over 2 mins left in a 1 goal game. I hate this play. Don't care what the stats say. We lose the draw in our own end, we have to fight for 15 seconds or so to get it back. We get up ice with a group that is a bit tired... and we pull the goalie. Horrible decision.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Does it though? Being a diehard and not watching may be the most counter-intuitive concept.

If they lose in game 7 I'll be depressed as ****. But to me the risk of all that emotional pain is so worth the good times that could come out of the game. Being a die hard is a risk, if you aren't watching then you are not die hard enough to take the risk.

Ok die hard hero fan.

Another way to look at it is, you are not die hard enough since another game 7 loss doesn't make you depressed enough to not want to watch. So enough already with your nonsense.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Didn' t like our effort. Again, we played a regular season game expecting to win in the playoffs.

Didn't like our coaching decisions either. Haven't knocked Babcock much, but there were some decisions I have to question.

1. The PP. The first unit was creating opportunities, but after 45-5o seconds they are off the ice and the 2nd unit which was doing absolutely nothing, gets the rest of the PP. A min to a min/15 for the 2nd unit and 45-50 seconds for the first unit? Not hard to figure out why the PP isn't working.
2. Mathews is the only guy scoring and he doesn't get extra time until the third and is sitting and well rested because of the PK time missed prior.
3. Pulling the goalie with over 2 mins left in a 1 goal game. I hate this play. Don't care what the stats say. We lose the draw in our own end, we have to fight for 15 seconds or so to get it back. We get up ice with a group that is a bit tired... and we pull the goalie. Horrible decision.

Many of your points have been echoed on the radio this morning. Seldom in games are mistakes so glaring.

I would add :

1. Not using a C (specifically JT for me) to take draws in your own end on the PK when Bergeron was eating Hyman alive on the draws.
2. In game adjustments.
3. Use of Marleau (Total minutes, PP minutes, late in the game with goalie pulled).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No it’s not. Babcock has been pretty damn good. The PK is awful but the leafs have been the better team overall 5v5

I have defended Babs on many occations this year, but I cannot defend him for the mistakes that have been made this series. I have also accepted that he is one stubborn SOB.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If tomorrow is their last game, I hope Marleau realises that it is time to retire and he does on July 2nd after collecting his bonus on July 1st. With our top 4 making over 40% of the cap it will be difficult to acquire players this offseason needed for this team to take the next step. I would shop Kadri and Nylander and if the price is right, move one or both.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Many of your points have been echoed on the radio this morning. Seldom in games are mistakes so glaring.

I would add :

1. Not using a C (specifically JT for me) to take draws in your own end on the PK when Bergeron was eating Hyman alive on the draws.
2. In game adjustments.
3. Use of Marleau (Total minutes, PP minutes, late in the game with goalie pulled).

Then I guess I am not the only one.

As for the rest, yea, I don't get a lot of that either. I would like to think he adjusts for game 7, but I am just not sure he will. I think he will be prepared, he is known for that. But I question whether he will make in-game adjustments. I also hope the players will step it up. If we play like last night again, no coaching in the world can overcome that lack of compete because you know a vet team like Boston will be ready.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Then I guess I am not the only one.

As for the rest, yea, I don't get a lot of that either. I would like to think he adjusts for game 7, but I am just not sure he will. I think he will be prepared, he is known for that. But I question whether he will make in-game adjustments. I also hope the players will step it up. If we play like last night again, no coaching in the world can overcome that lack of compete because you know a vet team like Boston will be ready.

Yup it is ultimately up to the players but if the coach makes mistakes there is no hope.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
C4CB1EB9-8552-4907-BDB5-3BAA30AFE519.png

Very clever pass but why are AJ and Rielly playing each ofher's positions.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
We started off so well yesterday...had the jump for the first few minutes, were buzzing and could have had a couple. Such optimism. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Yup it is ultimately up to the players but if the coach makes mistakes there is no hope.

Yep. Lack of compete and lack of coaching will equal a loss...or Freddie is completely unbeatable, then maybe there is a chance.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
That greasy Marchand pinball goal off Hainsey's shin pad was the difference.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can't wait for tomorrow.
As a fan, nothing better than the drama of a do or die game.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Both their PP goals were greasy. That huuuuge rebound right to their player who was all alone was greasy.

Hockey Gods were not with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad