Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
People keep saying we're missing important pieces...so are Boston and Tampa. They keep winning.

I just don't think we're as good as the standings say.

Putting aside the fact the Leafs missing players may be more important and have been gone a helluva lot longer....

All due respect to Tampa but the Panthers and Blackhawks are not very good team to gauge where you are at with your injury woes. They are abysmal defensively and showed it.
Boston has some real injury issues but Halak isnt going to post a .940 save % this year to keep saving them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s the last two games. Marner has been great all season. Unrealistic expectations that he or any player will be great every game
Don’t think it’s unreal expectations.
Just an observation.
Expecting 2 points or goals every game is unreal. Expecting a certain style of play isn’t.

Reactions: Critical91

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No matthews and willie is starting to catch up with them.

In one game? You know what the issue was tonight. Bad d coverage and then the last call on JT didn't help but their PP stunk. However that D coverage turned its head on our PP. That JT was on fire early Bobo saved the day and not that I like to blame the refs but wow zero calls for us..minus the Hyman call and the top late PP. Jt hooked in front alone no call, slash on Johnsson lots of stuff. But in the end it was sloppy D. Mainly by Hainsey..again and Rielly gets a mulligan.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
People keep saying we're missing important pieces...so are Boston and Tampa. They keep winning.

I just don't think we're as good as the standings say.

Uhh, we’ve been winning. It’s just 2 games

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Don’t think it’s unreal expectations.
Just an observation.
Expecting 2 points or goals every game is unreal. Expecting a certain style of play isn’t.

Agreeed with this. I don't expect to win every game, but to have our zone be a clown show all season isn't great.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
People are acting like it was a disastrous game when really, the script was flipped from Monday night. Andersen was a beast and tonight it was Bobrovsky's turn. The better team lost both games so 1-1-0 vs the BJs is appropriate

Yeah being down 2-0 early sucked, but I thought we played an excellent first period and could have had a few more goals.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
missed the game, and we lost again, are our most knowledgeable fans calling for a coaching change as usual? lol

Babs and Torts both pretty much said the same thing post game. Won the game we shoulda lost and lost the game we shoulda won.....

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Hyman does a lot of things right. The only problem is he gets overplayed and on the first line for some reason. I will take Hyman 10/10 days over Brown or Goat or any other useless plug though, he is a good hockey player, just doesn't know how to score.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Hyman does a lot of things right. The only problem is he gets overplayed and on the first line for some reason. I will take Hyman 10/10 days over Brown or Goat or any other useless plug though, he is a good hockey player, just doesn't know how to score.

And that's a massive problem when you are with two gifted players who are always creating chances.

Reactions: weems

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Also, Hyman is such a play killer. He is fine behind the goal line, but pretty useless elsewhere in the offensive zone. His blind, weak passes to the front of the net are painful to watch.

Agree. He gives a lot of effort but lacks in skill with top 6 forwards. Has limited vision offensively.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'll preface by saying I like Hyman, appreciate his skillset and understand the logic behind him playing on that line.

But if we're going to give him a plus everytime he forechecks and retrieves a puck then we also need to give him a minus everytime he kills a rush in the neutral zone, when offensive zone sequences die once he touchs the puck or when he fails to convert on point blank scoring chances.

You then have to figure out if the plus's of his forechecking prowess and physicality outweighs his inability to do anything with the puck and how much it stimies Marner/Tavares in certain situations.

I can see both sides to the argument but the thing that's pretty frustrating is that we haven't even seen these combo's Matthews/Nylander or Marner/Tavares with someone else for a prolonged sample size. Why not at least try something else out and if it doesn't work you can tell everyone that the original logic was always the most EV play.

Just for arguments sake, maybe you put Johnsson with the other two and although he wont be the forechecker that Hyman is, the line becomes vastly more dangerous in the neutral zone off the rush and he finishs at a waaaaayyyy higher clip when given high danger opportunities that Tavares and Marner create.

I like the player but would like to see something else at least tried and if it doesn't work you always can go back.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Uhh tampas goalie has been out for about a week now, same with Bergeron. We're also still ahead of Boston.

The Leafs should get a PO spot. Should. No guarantees as it looks they will likely be in a fight for positioning with Mtl, Bos, and Buffalo. Goes without saying, but they must do well against those teams.

There’s a lot of hockey left, but I honestly think they could beat Montreal or the Rangers in a playoff series so it would be ideal if they could manage to match up against one of those two.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Boston has lost their entire defence + Bergeron. Tampa is playing their back up for a month.

I'm not buying the excuse. Way too lose in our own zone, same old problem.

Please explain 7-5 without two thirds of our top line in Matthews and Nylander. You would think we suck so bad that it's 0-12.

member 262271

We could've lost games on the California road trip, due to fatigue but we didn't. I knew some losses were coming, they're playing a lot of games of late.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreeed with this. I don't expect to win every game, but to have our zone be a clown show all season isn't great.
It seems to me when you make a statement about what you see people love the immediate, well he’s been great all year statement. Like this was a personal attack.
How dare you. Ok, he’s been great all year but in the last little bit I’ve noticed....
Nothing that won’t correct.

Reactions: Critical91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad