Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Should have won, as Columbus should have on Monday. It was expected that it will be more difficult against Eastern teams. A good time to get Matthews and Nylander back.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Played most of the game well enough to win. Thought it dropped off in the third but they killed CBJ everywhere but the scoreboard for two periods. Probably should have won it in those first two. Didn’t.

Lots of talk of the fourth line having a good one. By fourth line standards I suppose so. I’m coming away from this one thinking I can’t wait for the GOAT to not be holding a regular shift anymore. I want to like him, I do, but I don’t and I never have. Just hands of stone.. he’s decent defensively but not enough to make up for the black hole of offence.

Should have won. I will take that attempt all day long, you don’t want to get into luck but... a little unlucky to lose that I thought.

We don’t really need our 4th line Center to score. More important to be good defensively. If you take a good, smart defensive forward and give him skills, you have Kadri and we can’t afford a Kadri on our 4th line. I think it’s a luxury to have our Kadri on the 3rd tbh.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Its like posters here are itching to go after individuals and team after every lil losing streak.
Where were you guys when the same players did a western sweep?
Just relax and trust the team more, thankfully and finally the management isn't as fickle with their decision making as our emotions here.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
We don’t really need our 4th line Center to score. More important to be good defensively. If you take a good, smart defensive forward and give him skills, you have Kadri and we can’t afford a Kadri on our 4th line. I think it’s a luxury to have our Kadri on the 3rd tbh.

Mah.

I don’t want to replace him with an offensive player, just one that isn’t a black hole. The man can NOT score lol.. he just can’t.

Scoring chances show up on his stick and they say, “Freddy, at last, yay”, and then Freddy says to the scoring chance, “lol.. ya I don’t think so buddy”, and roofs it off into the corner.

Really, I have tried for years, I’m a medium level prospect geek in this forum... I think the next time he gets bumped out of a start is the last time he plays for the Leafs.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Mah.

I don’t want to replace him with an offensive player, just one that isn’t a black hole. The man can NOT score lol.. he just can’t.

Scoring chances show up on his stick and they say, “Freddy, at last, yay”, and then Freddy says to the scoring chance, “lol.. ya I don’t think so buddy”, and roofs it off into the corner.

Really, I have tried for years, I’m a medium level prospect geek in this forum... I think the next time he gets bumped out of a start is the last time he plays for the Leafs.

I think we’d be fortunate if we get a rotating door of prospects like Gauthier for that position who are reliable and cheap, preferably if they can score like you say. However, I do think it will be the spot that is most likely to get plugged at the trade deadline each year with someone trustworthy who can hold a lead, offence optional.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Reilly was poor for a change.

The lack of grit and toughness worries me for the play offs (if we get there :naughty:)

Yeah it’s problematic and I’ll bet Dubas addresses it at some point. Skill is paramount but anyone who thinks we don’t need to add that dimension by adding a player or two just doesn’t get it.

What sucks is Gauthier could be that but he’s one of the softest players we have weirdly.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think people are over-reacting a little here.

I thought we were alright last night. Even against the Canes I thought there were key points of the game where puck luck was a factor and it fell to them and it largely made the difference.

Look at the standings and the win-loss record. Most of it has been without our Franchise C and an excellent complimentary winger. Not many teams would be getting by like Toronto are.

I'm still extremely enthused by this team and the season it's having and is going to have.

I would like a bit more physicality at times. Not pointless fighting and hitting for the sake of it. But maybe one or two who does lay a hit on a D to let them know it's not an easy out.

Last night for one of CBJ's first two goals, they had the puck behind their net and someone from the Leafs just did a flyby, they picked their pass and not long later it was in our net.

Whereas when Reilly or Gards have it behind our net, they know they not only have to move the puck, they have to get ready to dodge or absorb a hit. It sure as hell makes a difference to the pass they make, especially when the opposition D know they aren't gonna get creamed on the boards.

That's the one key element i'd like to see added somewhere. I know there's difficulty in finding it, as we want it to be someone who can skate too.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Team played so i dont know the right word but with no fire, a tonns of low danger shots, timid in front of Fred, lazy on the D, the Hainsey-Rielly duo was just horrendous, same with Marleau-Kadri. Bad game.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flushing this one down the toilet and moving on.

We'll see what we have in this team when Matty and Willie return. They push everybody down and makes us a much more difficult team to contend with.

No to anybody wanting to trade Kadri. Goat and Par on the same team is not a winning recipe.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anybody know how Grundstrom and Engvall are going with the Marlies ? Perhaps one of them comes up early in the new year to see what we have ??

If not, my Christmas wish list is a new RHD and LWer. Simmonds would be a nice rental.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Boston has lost their entire defence + Bergeron. Tampa is playing their back up for a month.

I'm not buying the excuse. Way too lose in our own zone, same old problem.
Ever single player on our defense has zero composure under pressure and they handle the puck like it's a grenade - nobody wants it. Just push it off to the closest player and make it that players problem or blindly slap it along the boards where it's intercepted by the offensive team.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't think that the Leafs played a bad game at all and I actually thought they were the better team for a majority of the game. The thing that got them was their own self-inflicted mistakes.

Goal 1 - Bad Rielly turnover
Goal 2 - Andersen can't play the puck in the restricted area
Goal 3 - Bad turnover in the neutral zone + Gardiner changing = no defense on the shortened power play

Reactions: Gary Nylund

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's patently obvious to the entire NHL how to beat the very talented Leafs. Some teams can't execute it but better teams can.

Isn't that reflective of the how well the Leafs are coached and how well they play then?

If the book is out on the Leafs, only 8 teams have beat them. And they've managed to win 15 times.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Isn't that reflective of the how well the Leafs are coached and how well they play then?

If the book is out on the Leafs, only 8 teams have beat them. And they've managed to win 15 times.
And that's without two of our best players. If anyone had told me at the start of the season we'd be without them for this many games i would have said we'd be lucky to be 500

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
The Leafs PP has also been pretty garbage to be honest. After like the first week of the season, it's been bottom 10 in the league. that's not justifiable with the amount of talent the Leafs have. Tonight's the worst it's been as not only did it not help us win like it should, it blew the game for us. A lot of it stems from Marleau and Kadri being useless, but also the 2nd unit is terrible and should not be getting an even split
A lot of it stems from Marner constantly going for the pass and other teams waiting for it.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto

The book came out 3 days ago. We're doomed from here on out :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad