Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Leafs PP has also been pretty garbage to be honest. After like the first week of the season, it's been bottom 10 in the league. that's not justifiable with the amount of talent the Leafs have. Tonight's the worst it's been as not only did it not help us win like it should, it blew the game for us. A lot of it stems from Marleau and Kadri being useless, but also the 2nd unit is terrible and should not be getting an even split

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
The Leafs PP has also been pretty garbage to be honest. After like the first week of the season, it's been bottom 10 in the league. that's not justifiable with the amount of talent the Leafs have. Tonight's the worst it's been as not only did it not help us win like it should, it blew the game for us. A lot of it stems from Marleau and Kadri being useless, but also the 2nd unit is terrible and should not be getting an even split
Should put Gardion 1st PP

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I believe it was the other game against Columbus where we were saved with them hitting the post like three times? Either way, deserved to lose both games against them with how they play defensively both with and without the puck.

I get guys like Hainsey are always gonna make mistakes now and half the forwards are offensively inept with both AM34 and Nylander out but I still think this coaching staff is creating extra problems defensively.

Reactions: Critical91

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I believe it was the other game against Columbus where we were saved with them hitting the post like three times? Either way, deserved to lose both games against them with how they play defensively both with and without the puck.

I get guys like Hainsey are always gonna make mistakes now and half the forwards are offensively inept with both AM34 and Nylander out but I still think this coaching staff is creating extra problems defensively.

shh were not allowed to question anything because we have a winning record.

Reactions: ToMaLe

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Also, Hyman is such a play killer. He is fine behind the goal line, but pretty useless elsewhere in the offensive zone. His blind, weak passes to the front of the net are painful to watch.
You Noticed! ......Yeah,more Hyman ...lots and lots more Hyman...right Babs? Can't play him enough...all situation player that Hyman. He's so valuable to the skill guys,I can't imagine how bad Marner and JT would be with any other player!

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
You Noticed! ......Yeah,more Hyman ...lots and lots more Hyman...right Babs? Can't play him enough...all situation player that Hyman. He's so valuable to the skill guys,I can't imagine how bad Marner and JT would be with any other player!

In fairness, Marner also makes a lot of those blind passes through the slot by the net. But Hyman is completely inept at slowing the game down at any point the way a regular top six forward can, he's gung-ho and you need some finesse in a top six winger.

Also, I bet if you put a line of Hyman-Lindholm-Ennis together, the ratio of spins to meaningful shots would be through the roof!

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
We need to find an answer for Josh (the question?) Anderson. Twice this week he has asserted himself a bit too much. He’s not that good so maybe just take other teams seriously and play harder would be a good idea (except Tavares who is all effort every shift)

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
In fairness, Marner also makes a lot of those blind passes through the slot by the net. But Hyman is completely inept at slowing the game down at any point the way a regular top six forward can, he's gung-ho and you need some finesse in a top six winger.

Also, I bet if you put a line of Hyman-Lindholm-Ennis together, the ratio of spins to meaningful shots would be through the roof!
I would gladly sacrifice that "je ne sais quoi' that Hyman has,for anyone else who has enough talent to be able to accept a pass, shoot with the accuracy of a normal NHLer,make a good pass with their eyes looking at who they are passing it to.Please,Babs,it isn't working like you think it is.
Gotta have balanced scoring he says,so I guess Hyman can't play on any line that doesn't have talent.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
When your best players arent your best players you wont win. I thought tavares obviously had a stinker, marner didnt play well imo or kadri at all.

I thought our 4th line played well which obviously isnt enough. Next game i expect a big rebound game for the lads

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017

You can blame Marleau and Kadri all you want, I'll blame Gardiner and Marner. All the cute passes and whatnot.

Sure when it works you look like a genius, and make the highlight of the night, when the passes are picked off and shot down the ice, you look like an ass

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Crap, they've lost 2 in a row. Time for a scorched earth plan, and burn it all for picks and prospects.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So where are the adjustments?

Here's the thing: The league is figuring Marner out on the PP, they know his tendancies and the set plays that Toronto does that run through Marner. Teams have effectively keyed in on our right side. Why in the flying f*** do we continue to do the same thing? Our PP has essentially been this for awhile now: gain the zone, watch Marner and Rielly play hot potato with the puck, Marner slap pass, puck goes wide, nothing happens. Rinse and repeat for 45 seconds, proceed to throw useless 2nd unit out, give 1st PP last 15 seconds (which isn't enough time to do anything). It's so predictable that it's painful to watch.

Over the last month we're 24th in PP%. This should not f***ing happen, doesn't even matter if we're out Matthews. Tavares/Marner/Rielly should 100% be an elite PP by default. This is on the coaching staff for complete lack of adjustments and overplaying the hell out of a useless 2nd unit.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've said this before: people have essentially reduced the standard so low for Hyman that he can never have a bad game. He does basic shit that 4th liners do and they go on about how his skillset is awesome and how he's so beneficial to the line and we have nobody who can do what he does. Thank god he had that 2 goal game vs Columbus, because outside of that, he has been monumentally terrible offensively. The stats don't lie, he is far and away the worst producing top-6 player in the league and it's easily seen on the ice granted you don't have the Babcock goggles on.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So where are the adjustments?

Here's the thing: The league is figuring Marner out on the PP, they know his tendancies and the set plays that Toronto does that run through Marner. Teams have effectively keyed in on our right side. Why in the flying **** do we continue to do the same thing? Our PP has essentially been this for awhile now: gain the zone, watch Marner and Rielly play hot potato with the puck, Marner slap pass, puck goes wide, nothing happens. Rinse and repeat for 45 seconds, proceed to throw useless 2nd unit out, give 1st PP last 15 seconds (which isn't enough time to do anything). It's so predictable that it's painful to watch.

Over the last month we're 24th in PP%. This should not ****ing happen, doesn't even matter if we're out Matthews. Tavares/Marner/Rielly should 100% be an elite PP by default. This is on the coaching staff for complete lack of adjustments and overplaying the hell out of a useless 2nd unit.
the only adjustments I've seen is experimenting with Hyman and promoting Marleau. It's flat out not good enough. Our powerplay has been outscored over the past 5 games. not having Matthews is no excuse.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I've said this before: people have essentially reduced the standard so low for Hyman that he can never have a bad game. He does basic **** that 4th liners do and they go on about how his skillset is awesome and how he's so beneficial to the line and we have nobody who can do what he does.
Babcock Bullshyte is what it is. He won't let go of this strategy ,he can't wait to remind everyone that Hyman plays an important role...as if we're all blind and never seen another team play. I see it as turning 50/60 goal scorers into 30/40 goal scorers. It really is ridiculous at this point.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I've said this before: people have essentially reduced the standard so low for Hyman that he can never have a bad game. He does basic **** that 4th liners do and they go on about how his skill set is awesome and how he's so beneficial to the line and we have nobody who can do what he does.

So, you figured if you make enough anti-Hyman posts, word will get out and maybe Babcock will move him off the line, its that your plan?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
the only adjustments I've seen is experimenting with Hyman and promoting Marleau. It's flat out not good enough. Our powerplay has been outscored over the past 5 games. not having Matthews is no excuse.
Kapanen had a very brief stint on the 1st unit too.

But yeah other than those things, nothing's changed. Our PP has been extremely bad in the month of November and all we do is try the same shit over and over again, frustrating to say the least.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
one thing I have to realize over the last few years. if this team plays any where around a turkey celebration we lose. . we our cursed with turkey lovers and that creates the fabled turkey hangover.

and wouldn't you know it we played another game right on top of a turkey celebration.

oh well long season shit happens. don't go all crazy like the last 2 game skid we had a few weeks back, time proved it wasn't the end of the world that time .

leafs rule 11

Jul 28, 2007
the law of leafs averages had to come out..sweeping the cali road trip only meant leaf losess on their next two road games lol

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Played most of the game well enough to win. Thought it dropped off in the third but they killed CBJ everywhere but the scoreboard for two periods. Probably should have won it in those first two. Didn’t.

Lots of talk of the fourth line having a good one. By fourth line standards I suppose so. I’m coming away from this one thinking I can’t wait for the GOAT to not be holding a regular shift anymore. I want to like him, I do, but I don’t and I never have. Just hands of stone.. he’s decent defensively but not enough to make up for the black hole of offence.

Should have won. I will take that attempt all day long, you don’t want to get into luck but... a little unlucky to lose that I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->