News: Leafs cap - Dubas: We can, and we will keep all our 4 top F

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Being a solid team =/= running away with the league. This is the same attitude Shark fans have with their new core. Just because there are good players coming up doesn't mean they are as good as the current ones. That is what I am saying, their days as the top dog are limited.

Clueless yet again. Regarding Tampa, Point and Kucherov are their two best forwards. Regarding San Jose, Hertl and Meier are their two best forwards. All 4 of those players are very young. Tampa will be a dominant team for years to come.

There are multiple projections out there. Leafs are fine not moving anyone besides maybe Connor Brown. It just means letting Gardiner walk, bridging Kapanen and Johnsson, and then basically have a 4th line of near league minimum/ELC players.

And you are a self admitted Leaf hater who can't see the forest from the trees. Leafs are going to have all of their kids locked up. That is it for cap issues. Next year is tight for sure but after that they are fine. I mean they won't be able to be careless with cap space or anything but every good team faces cap management.

Worst case scenario they end up losing guys like Kapanen or Johnsson who aren't very good anyway according to this board so who cares?

The worst case scenario is that they lose Jake Gardiner who is an important member of an already questionable blue-line and also lose Kapanen who has been one of their most valuable secondary forwards this year. Neither of those are team killers but they both hurt. You can whine about how certain members of HF don’t like those players but you know the value in both of them and you know that it’ll hurt if they lose them.

They’re also currently inferior to both Winnipeg and Tampa so if all 3 teams take the same level of losses due to cap implications, Toronto will be in a worse place than either of those teams.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Clueless yet again. Regarding Tampa, Point and Kucherov are their two best forwards. Regarding San Jose, Hertl and Meier are their two best forwards. All 4 of those players are very young. Tampa will be a dominant team for years to come.

The worst case scenario is that they lose Jake Gardiner who is an important member of an already questionable blue-line and also lose Kapanen who has been one of their most valuable secondary forwards this year. Neither of those are team killers but they both hurt. You can whine about how certain members of HF don’t like those players but you know the value in both of them and you know that it’ll hurt if they lose them.

They’re also currently inferior to both Winnipeg and Tampa so if all 3 teams take the same level of losses due to cap implications, Toronto will be in a worse place than either of those teams.

Nope disagree completely

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You are painting an optimistic picture of the Jets situation and you know it, and the Leafs are not in any trouble. Marleau and Horton expire after next season giving them 11M in cap space and by the time they have to pay those guys Kessel retention will be off the books.

Not to mention the salary cap going up every year. The only real issue for the Leafs is next season and that's it. That's where the Jets are even more screwed.

Connor is worth at least what Nylander got

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M last offseason

Trouba is a RFA

Losing a top 4 RD to UFA most likely, and then a bunch of depth players needing new deals with less cap space than the Leafs have. Not to mention Morrissey is due a huge deal next season as well.
Gotta chuckle at fans of other teams and how peaked their interest is in all things TML...as if they are privy to the details of the high paid experts in the front office. Dubas,the 'rookie' has so far signed a fantastic free agent in John Tavares,signed William Nylander,signed Austo Matthews..I believe .Mitch Marner will be signed as well. The cup window has been opened...thanks Kyle! As a fan,I care not about the money needed to win a cup...just the opportunity to get it! Go Kyle! Go Leafs!

Reactions: Confucius

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Do you actually convince yourself that this stuff is true before you post it?

The Leafs are visibly in trouble. Their GM has done a poor job of handling the Nylander and Matthews contracts and judging from the comments from Marner’s agent, things aren’t looking good on his front either.

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M...Dreger also said Marner was going to be offer sheeted. Is he credible or is he not? Cause I know exactly what you were saying when Dreger reported that. Laine’s stock has dropped considerably.

Dreger is credible, that doesn't mean he's never wrong, I will believe Marner gets offer sheeted when I see it, no one has signed an offer sheet since 2013 and there hasn't been a successful one since 2006.

Players don't sign offer sheets

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Dreger is credible, that doesn't mean he's never wrong, I will believe Marner gets offer sheeted when I see it, no one has signed an offer sheet since 2013 and there hasn't been a successful one since 2006.

Players don't sign offer sheets

I agree that Marner won’t sign an offer sheet.

In the same vein, Laine is not getting 11M.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Gotta chuckle at fans of other teams and how peaked their interest is in all things TML...Dubas,the 'rookie' has so far signed a fantastic free agent in John Tavares,signed William Nylander,signed Austo Matthews..I believe .Mitch Marner will be signed as well. The cup window has been opened...thanks Kyle! As a fan,I care not about the money needed to win a cup...just the opportunity to get it! Go Kyle! Go Leafs!
Ya got to chuckle all alright
as if they are privy to the details of the high paid experts in the front office.

What position in the TML front office do you hold ?
Or, who do you know in the YML front office who fills you in on "privy" information?
Or are you just talking out your other end?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not with the fact that the TML can put 90%+ of it as signing bonus. With the exception of 5 or six teams very few teams can afford to do that.

Yeah just like all those sponsorship deals brought down Matthews ask, right?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Ya got to chuckle all alright
as if they are privy to the details of the high paid experts in the front office.

What position in the TML front office do you hold ?
Or, who do you know in the YML front office who fills you in on "privy" information?
Or are you just talking out your other end?
I stated facts...you know, the accomplishments of Dubas. My prediction of the Leafs signing Marner isn't far -fetched. So,I don't need to pretend to know what the Leaf brass is thinking. Just going by what's been done.Is that so hard for you to digest...does it hurt coming out? then maybe chew on it some more!

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Not with the fact that the TML can put 90%+ of it as signing bonus. With the exception of 5 or six teams very few teams can afford to do that.
Rangers are looking for a fast rebuild . Their base demands it being original 6 and all. They have history of doing such things and wouldn't surprise me they poach marner .

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I agree that Marner won’t sign an offer sheet.

In the same vein, Laine is not getting 11M.

Who knows what Laine gets? Winnipeg is lucky in his contract year he sits 6th on his team in Pts/GP and 122nd overall. His Pts/GP is worse than Nylander's 2nd and 3rd year.

Conversely Marner and Matthews are tied for 1st on their team and 12th overall.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The only way the Leafs lose Kapanen is if they opt to trade him for a D man - a lateral move.

They’d likely lose Gardiner even if they have all the capspace in the world anyways. He’s going to ask for 6-7 million, which is a bad deal for any team. If he walks they can get creative on the trade market to find a replacement. They might find a compromise on giving him extra term to keep down his caphit but that remains to be seen if it comes true.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
You are painting an optimistic picture of the Jets situation and you know it, and the Leafs are not in any trouble. Marleau and Horton expire after next season giving them 11M in cap space and by the time they have to pay those guys Kessel retention will be off the books.

Not to mention the salary cap going up every year. The only real issue for the Leafs is next season and that's it. That's where the Jets are even more screwed.

Connor is worth at least what Nylander got

Dreger said Laine wanted 11M last offseason

Trouba is a RFA

Losing a top 4 RD to UFA most likely, and then a bunch of depth players needing new deals with less cap space than the Leafs have. Not to mention Morrissey is due a huge deal next season as well.
Byfug and wheeler to retire soon or drop off . Cup window for jets short than leafs. But I pick them over leafs this year despite leafs handing it to them this year.

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018
I have no idea why people are acting like we can't fit this roster under the cap next season. We'll likely be unable to add any significant assets, that's true, but we can easily run our current roster for the next two seasons under the cap. We just have to apply all the bonuses to the cap this year. And we'll have to run a young dcore season after this one and hope for the best, but once Marleau and Horton's contracts are over, we're free from worries over the cap. Likely works out to something like this:

16.2 M cap space
-7M Nylander's new contract
+2M Matthews/Marner ELCs coming off the books
-11M Matthews' new contract
-8M Marner's new contract
-Leivo/Carrick/McBackup replaced by equal cost players
+7M letting Hainsey & Gardiner go to UFA
-2M Liljegren and Rosen/UFA replacing Hainsey/Gardiner
+1M Kapanen's ELC gone
-2-2.5M Kapanen's new contract
+2M cap raise
--------
Comes to 2M over the cap, but with Horton's 5.3M LTIR contract, we're still left with 3.3M in wiggle room.

So there's the math, add 1M each to our 3 young forwards if you're hoping they sign for more, but we're still good cap wise. This would likely be our 2019-2020 roster

[SPOIL]Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
A mix of Rosen/Marincin/Holl/Borgman/UFA

So obviously in 2019-2020 our D is going to be weak but we'll be betting on it just needing to get the puck out of the zone to let the forwards do their work, so considering it's filled with PMDs it shouldn't be too harmful.
[/SPOIL]
So, tell me why I'm wrong and why we're destined for cap hell unless we trade Nylander/Marner to your team for peanuts :D
You think. Kapanen signing at 2.5 good luck dudas has not shown an ability to play hardball on contracts. Try 4 mil

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rangers are looking for a fast rebuild . Their base demands it being original 6 and all. They have history of doing such things and wouldn't surprise me they poach marner .
Its probably easier for the Rangers to make a deal with a lower cap-hit that the Jets, Tampa, Colorado or Carolina will have trouble matching by frontloading the hell out of a deal. It's not like Marner is the only person they could target.

Isn't it a better strategy to offer Aho or Rantanen a heavily frontloaded deal that comes in below 11m (therefore likely only 2 firsts and a 2nd for compensation), but in a deal that pays 14.2 million on July 1st in the first two years of both deals? So, basically, the Matthews deal minus 8ook a year in cap hit? It makes more sense for the Rangers to try to financially bully those teams.

Reactions: ps241

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yes Dubas can keep all of their top 4 F....the question is at what cost to their overall team depth on both forward and defense?
This.........is the main issue, signing a very talented group up front, will cause the Leafs to spend a lot less than most teams do, on their D corps which is shaky some nights, as it is...

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
This.........is the main issue, signing a very talented group up front, will cause the Leafs to spend a lot less than most teams do, on their D corps which is shaky some nights, as it is...

Well looking at their cup window right now Rielly and Muzzin are on nice deals, Dermott is cheap and only getting better, plus Sandin, Liljegren and Rosen are all looking nice and can replace Hainsey and Zaitsev in the next year or so. Gardiner will be the big loss but may even help them get better defensively.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well looking at their cup window right now Rielly and Muzzin are on nice deals, Dermott is cheap and only getting better, plus Sandin, Liljegren and Rosen are all looking nice and can replace Hainsey and Zaitsev in the next year or so. Gardiner will be the big loss but may even help them get better defensively.

This. It's what we tried to explain to non-Leaf fans about losing JVR and Bozak but giving their minutes to Kapanen and Johnsson. Team gets better defensively and better yet, replaces their goals too.

Reactions: NylanderBros

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Muzzin is around only 1 more season. There are going to be more casualties if four forwards are carrying almost 40M between them. There are alot of things that need to happen in order for them to ice a 22-23 man roster. There is no way they can go with 20 guys ala Bobby Mac...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Still top 5 in goals against,presently. I think they look average some nights as well,but the numbers are there.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Could be because The HFB faithful gets all things Leafs related shoved down our throats at a relentless pace year round...I mean its not surprising you guys probably outnumber every other fan base 2:1...but let’s not act like it’s surprising that after a thousand leaf proposals each year, many being really bad and littered with proclamations and prophecies of greatness(like most proposals on this site) that you’ll get push back when you’re in a time of uncertainty

That's a nice theory but ignores the years of "pushback" and dog kicking while they were down. Reality is folks are reaping what the sowed and really, deserve every bit.

If you kick a dog enough, don't be alarmed that one day it bites back.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Questionable defense? Aren't they top 5 in GA and tracking well for metrics like HDCA? Not many teams in the league with a PPG D back there on a now strong top pairing, who has a 50 point D on their 2nd pairing and a two top 4 D on their bottom pairing.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This isn’t a new core - Point, Kuch, and Vasy are easily our three most valuable players now and they are going to be in their primes for the next several years. Now if you want to argue that their supporting cast may not be as good in a few years as they are now then that’s a valid point, but our core is young and won’t be declining for quite some time.

Wait , so you think you guys are holding onto Point after he gets a offer sheet this summer???

Interesting.

You don't think a team will walk up with a 84 million dollar offer for a young STUD center like that?

Good luck with that mind set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad